Team-BHP - The poor cars that get 'orphaned' in movies & TV serials
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The poor cars that get 'orphaned' in movies & TV serials (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/199582-poor-cars-get-orphaned-movies-tv-serials.html)

Normal folk wouldn't have, but BHPians have surely noticed how cars get their badges removed or covered with tape in TV serials & movies.

It's a deliberate move. This is from a Hindi film:
The poor cars that get 'orphaned' in movies & TV serials-20180623-21.43.05.jpg

And this one from a TV show. Here, the badge isn't removed. They've brutally put tape over it:
The poor cars that get 'orphaned' in movies & TV serials-capture.jpg

Poor cars get their father's name taken away from them in public appearances - imagine the embarrassment! Ever wondered why? It's all about the money, honey :D.

Time to read up on 'product placement' here. In effect, neither Hyundai nor Toyota have paid the respective producers. The attitude of the film or TV producer is, if you don't pay us, we won't give your brand free publicity either.

The master of this practice in India is Times of India. Notice how, in their news items, they'll never specifically name a restaurant or hotel (e.g. the movie launch event took place in a popular South Mumbai hotel).

P.S. Movie & TV serial intentionally not named to give them a taste of their own medicine rl:

Quite an eye opener!
I, for one, thought that this sticker job on brand names are done, to avoid copy right infringement. stupid:
Never knew, that there was money involved.

And then you have movies like Kaala (of course with Mr Rajinikanth in it!!) wherein the already legend like Thar got extra boost! to the extent where Mr Mahindra wanted it back!!! Sometimes it's the company also that stands to get benefited!!

Can there also be a non-commercial and more, legal reason for this? This practice is quite common for other commodities as well; laptop/phone brand will be deliberately blurred out.

Reminds me of this incident: :D

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2418244

I thought it was more to avoid unnecessary litigations. For e.g. if they show the car to crash, or the car's brake fails etc.

Did not know there was this commercial angle involved. :)

I have observed this in NCIS where they use a Audi Q7 and block out the symbol, yet they refer to the "Audi"

Look at some of the MRF adverts, the car logo's have been stripped off also.

Even if the badges are blanked off, isn't it futile since the car as whole is recognizable as to what it is?

I am sure there will be a few who cannot differentiate a i20 from a Baleno, , but neither will they be able to differentiate the logo's of a Hyundai and Suzuki. With so many different cars on the road and many being so common, even our grandparents will know what is what.

I guess it is the producers being too greedy. Anything to get some extra dough clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinair (Post 4420509)
And then you have movies like Kaala (of course with Mr Rajinikanth in it!!) wherein the already legend like Thar got extra boost! to the extent where Mr Mahindra wanted it back!!!

What was the story with that? Please share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4420512)
Can there also be a non-commercial and more, legal reason for this?

Nothing illegal about using a product you own or rented in a movie, unless you are deliberately slandering it (not the case in 99.99% of movies / shows).

One of the many articles on this - link.

In many of the recent movies if you see a rich man in a Ford Ikon/Fiesta, or something like a Gen 1 Octavia, rest assured that s/he is going to get into a crash and die. And in those cases I have not seen them hiding the logo :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4420588)

Here you go:

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/anand-mah...museum-1863972

Being a finance pro, I had this feeling in mind that serials would not give 'free publicity' to brands and hence they hid the manufacturer's logo on cars. In fact, I have even noticed that how brand names of mobile phones used by characters are also blurred many times as they must not have paid them either. lol:

However the last line (P.S.) of GTOs post had me in splits :D That was witty!

Regards,
Saket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4420578)
Even if the badges are blanked off, isn't it futile since the car as whole is recognizable as to what it is?

It is not only about being recognizable, isn't it? Car designs itself would have been copyrighted. Else there have been cases like this

I feel it is more about free publicity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4420588)

It goes like when the first poster of the movie was released (picture one), it showed the actor sitting on the Thar and though the crew did not reveal anything about vehicle (brand), it was a easy give away of vehicle identity and someone posted this on Anand Mahindra's timeline! and as usual, the reply was a classic one!

As the movie was still in progress, the actor's son-in-law (actor Dhanush) who was also the producer, was equally thrilled and promised to hand over the vehicle once the shoot was complete!

There were also some incidents where the TV fraternity crossed lines and ended up "Lene ke dene pad gaye" (ended up paying instead of getting paid) , below is an example -

will-hyundai-laugh-thanks-to-delhi-belly

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4420629)
There were also some incidents where the TV fraternity crossed lines and ended up "Lene ke dene pad gaye" (ended up paying instead of getting paid)

Frankly, that's not a big deal at all.

1. Did Hyundai actually file a case? If so, on what grounds or section of the law? I'm only reading news of Hyundai thinking about a case, but not actually filing one. I don't think Hyundai would want to pick a fight with Bollywood.

2. Was it a civil or criminal case? If civil, no one really cares about it. If criminal, did the court even accept the complaint?

3. In India, filing a case is no big deal. Delhi Belly or anyone else shouldn't be scared unless they have committed a serious crime like murder or something. Let the lawyers go to court. Counting appeals, it'll go on for 20 years.

4. If the case did get filed, what are the odds of Hyundai winning anything? I think zilch. If they do win, Delhi Belly can always appeal in the higher courts.