Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 21:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

That was a real touchy advertisement! I liked that part when the mother pronounces the car as "Assent" and the child corrects her. Many people didn't pronounce that car's name right. Might be the one of the tiniest reason why Hyundai spelled their new sub 4 meter sedan as Xcent.

Kudos to Hyundai for making this video! Though I wonder why didn't they made the advert featuring a first gen Santro instead of the Accent. That way, even more people would have connected themselves personally with this advertisement.
Nevertheless, truly a sensational work!
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 22:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Kudos to Hyundai for making this video! Though I wonder why didn't they made the advert featuring a first gen Santro instead of the Accent. That way, even more people would have connected themselves personally with this advertisement.

Nevertheless, truly a sensational work!

Spot on, ran through my head as well. It should have been the Santro, more so as their 20th anniversary car will also be called the Santro.

Not sure of what the thought behind the Accent was? Maybe they wanted a sedan which is always considered a class above the hatch and would look and feel more luxurious compared to the hatch?

I did not care much for the looks of the first gen Santro, maybe Hyundai felt the same?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 22:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

Was expecting Dad to change his mind and give the couple a chance to create new memories, incidentally our first car was a Santro, handed to us by someone! Sentiments apart, cars need to keep running, I would be happy if someone takes care of my car instead of it rusting in my garage Few could be exception though!
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 22:32   #34
BHPian

Someone is cutting onions around here :'(

Can NGT take a look at this advert & feel the emotion behind it?
StreetAddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 02:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Takes me back to my Accent Viva CRDi... Quoting from my thread on Team BHP

As I prepare to bid farewell to my 5 year old Accent Viva CRDi, I cant help but think about the times I spent with this car.

I have spent lazy evenings in this car with my friends, gone on dates and long drives with my girl (Who I married later), picked up groceries with my wife, and for the past couple of weeks its been taking my sweet little 5 month old daughter for her vaccinations...

My life completely changed in the last 5 years, and this car has seen it all.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...68000-kms.html

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th June 2018 at 09:16. Reason: Removing duplicate copy of your text from within the post.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 03:01   #36
BHPian

What a great and touching ad, specially for me since a few months back I was in the same case, except I ended up selling mine and mom still misses it. It was a car that helped everyone out in the (extended) family, in all the weddings, parties, road trips and even funerals. It stood by us like a family member. But I'm glad in a way that I let it go, the next owner takes care of it more than me and it still is joy to drive it.
Old 29th June 2018, 08:33   #37
BHPian

Brilliant ad!

Notice the subtle presence of the gleaming Creta, as the depiction of the "new" - implying that the company has moved on along with the times.

On a side note, observe 2:05 in the video where the buyer does a mock steering to supposedly "test" the car. Probably yet another throwback from the 80s .
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 09:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Goes to show that you can never put a price on emotions.. as a marketing guy I automatically am trying to pitch ideas based on this fact. All consumers are emotionally driven - they try to be one with the product, try to see if the values of the product are at one with theirs and build memories with the product to such an extent that it reinforces their choice as the best one almost forever, I am such a customer as well.

What I saw in Hyundai as a teen, was a company that disrupted the automotive scene worldwide and much more so in India. From the Santro with the tall-boy design where the seating was just perfect to the first super-hatch in India the Getz. Without them we'd never be seeing so many cars with high-end features today, at an entry level budget. Companies like these come just once in a lifetime and I'm glad to have witnessed the rise of a brand that came out of nowhere and kept climbing the sales charts irrespective of the competition and heavy bias against it (all newcomers will face bias in all product categories specially when going against well-established brands). They may screw up in due course, or they may not.. only time will tell.

I try to be as objective as possible so I believe that a car is only a sum total of its parts.. as long as they're well put together and perform reliably they enable us to make beautiful memories as we go along in this journey of life. We've owned this brand ever since I had legally qualified for a driving licence, spread across 3 cars for 14 of the 20 years of the company's existence.. and it has been one trouble-free journey in totality and that should be a good reflection of its reliability. Moving ahead is what all brands should do.. I myself am a fan of the old-school analogue instrument clusters with soft green/yellow lighting and dial switches for aircon control etc, but I guess we must all come to the fact that modern cars aren't all evil (personally I 'felt' very uncomfortable with my present car for many months), they breathe the same DNA of their parent company and the logo on the steering wheel every time we sit inside the car is proof of that.

There is an American ad of Hyundai which summarizes it all very well, shot years ago :

dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 11:28   #39
BHPian

Touching ad no doubt, but old Hyundai vehicles do not really sell well. Trying to sell a 10 yr old Getz and it doesn't even get a second look by prospective buyers who are no doubt looking for old i20s or swifts
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 11:45   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
Isnt Getz included in the list of nostalgia ?
The Getz nameplate has no value to Hyundai. The Santro (coming soon), Accent (Xcent) and i10 (Grand i10) are more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Spot on, ran through my head as well. It should have been the Santro, more so as their 20th anniversary car will also be called the Santro.
Maybe Hyundai was to embarrassed to use the '98 Santro. It was one ugly duckling.

Meanwhile, I am convinced a BHPian had something to do with this ad. See the plastic seat covers. What attention to detail, man
Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 12:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Meanwhile, I am convinced a BHPian had something to do with this ad. See the plastic seat covers. What attention to detail, man
Didn't want to nitpick on this video but I found this a bit odd when I first saw the video. TC (Temporary/Transfer Certificate) number plate.

Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners-screen-shot-20180629-12.53.36-pm.png
Biraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 13:34   #42
BHPian

This advertisement has my Maruti 800 and my family written all over.
a) Our 800 is always parked in the same garage where it was parked as soon as she joined us in 1987. All other new cars have managed other parking slots and even exposed to elements when parking was under repairs but the 800 has always had been in same spot.
Infact, the newest addition is coming this weekend and its already decided that the good old spot will never be compromised
b) Countless memories with the car - I remember talking with the car that some day i will also drive you like dad
c) Like GTO said, people use to visit us to see the car and it was talking point of the entire town. Hardly few cars seen in those days and driving past the city in top gear was normal.

Actually, as a kid, and even now, I can tell sitting in my home when the car's sound comes that it is dad driving or not - I use to observe how many times dad use to pump the accelerator post starting the car, his pattern and at what noise level ( now we call it RPM) he drives the car home. Any one remotely as crazy as I am ?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th June 2018 at 19:28. Reason: Removing additional smiley. Please note that only TWO emoticons are permitted per post. Thanks
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:10   #43
BHPian

What a touching ad! Reminds me of my 7 yr old son crying inconsolably when traded-in our Alto K10 for an Ecosport last year. The car was with us right from his 1st birthday. My son shares my enthusiasm for cars but I didn't realize he had had developed such deep attachment to the K10. So much so, that he would save coins in his hundi to 'buy it back one day'!!

Last edited by veyron_head : 29th June 2018 at 18:13.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 20:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amazing ad - all of us who are connected to our cars will relate to it. I have my own 21-year old car with loads of memories attached to it -
My high school classmate (at an Air Force KV) is the GM of the team that produced this wonderful ad. So proud of her.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 21:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My high school classmate (at an Air Force KV) is the GM of the team that produced this wonderful ad. So proud of her.

Please congratulate her on this nice advertisement. This add really tugged on the heart, irrespective of the brand of car we were associated with this journey called life.

Post 20 years in business in India, if Hyundai can tug at our hearts and not the mind, it will be battle won.

I am yet to see a Hyundai that the mind does not agree and the heart is for it. We have experienced it with the Skodas, Fiats and now the Jeep brand.

Can Hyundai launch any of their N performance editions in India ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th June 2018 at 21:42.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed