Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 17:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra NuvoSport discontinued

According to a media report, production of the Mahindra NuvoSport has crawled to a halt, which suggests that the model may have been discontinued. Not a single unit was dispatched to dealers during the month of May 2018.

Rumour: Mahindra NuvoSport discontinued-nuvosport.jpg

The Mahindra NuvoSport replaced the Quanto in 2016. The sub-4 meter compact SUV is offered in 6 variants and is powered by a 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine that produces 100 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and a peak torque of 240 Nm @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed AMT.

The NuvoSport is still listed on Mahindra's official website and there has been no official word confirming these reports.

Source: AutoX

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th June 2018 at 17:41.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra NuvoSport discontinued

It's high time all manufacturers do it - cut their losses by removing unsuccessful products from their portfolio. NuvoSport never even had a chance to make a mark in the market. The neither here, nor there quality had limited its potential from the very beginning. Keeping on producing it would have meant not using the production line for better selling products.

With its parts being shared across different models of M&M, discontinuation of the model is unlikely to effect the current owners severely except in case of body panels.

Verito Vibe will have a new friend now .
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 19:47   #3
BHPian

This is something which I have been waiting for.
Finally the crappy model will not draw public ire and will rest in peace.

Although it was way overdue, this platform (quanto+nuvosport) served its purpose for AMT development. With the upcoming replacement for Xylo, it made absolutely no sense to keep this up and running.
Old 28th June 2018, 20:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

No surprises there! I mean, who was Mahindra kidding? A failed product Quanto, gets a facelift and becomes nuvosport! May be they seriously thought that people may consider it as an alternative to the ecosport, just because of its name!

Not sure if this would be the fate of the KUV100 too, since its numbers too have been steadily declining.

They need to start fresh and clean like Tata. Be clear what they want to make and get designs to be at least cohesive even if not down right beautiful. I mean all of the recent Tata cars have been cohesive and good looking, even the Hexa, in spite of its size.

I hope they have a new change in their design language post the new Tivoli and the MPV which is soon to be launched.
motorworks is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 21:55   #5
BHPian

Whoa! Whoa! My fellow Bhp-ians The Nuvosport was not simply a facelifted Quanto, and neither was it the same platform.

The Quanto was a chopped Xylo, and those two share their platform with the Genio and the Imperio pickup trucks.

The Nuvosport, though sporting the Quanto shell, has underpinnings based on the latest Scorpio platform, just like the TUV300. So this one was somewhere between the TUV300 and the Quanto.

IMHO, the Quanto-to-Nuvosport facelift might have looked better on the Xylo instead. Anyhow, this was a weirdly placed model in their lineup, and it never really took off. So, discontinuation is the right step for Mahindra.

Maybe, next up for discontinuation should be the KUV100?

Last edited by Miel : 28th June 2018 at 21:55. Reason: Typo in model name
Miel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what took so long? In fact, I really wonder why Mahindra even bothered.

The concept of a 5+2 sub-4-metre MPV (in the form of the Quanto) was definitively proven to be a flop. I am wondering why Mahindra would even spend money to develop the NuvoSport. It was doomed from the start. Except for the launch month - March 2016 - when it shipped 1298 units, it has never logged more than 1000 units sales per month. Just 7 months after launch, in November 2016, numbers dropped to 2 digits. In fact, it rarely shipped more than 50 units a month after that. From the past 6 months, it shipped in single digits.

Looks like production of NuvoSport had anyway been stopped about 6 months back, and all the despatch numbers were from factory stock.
Old 28th June 2018, 23:51   #7

I have read countless comments over many similar threads that manufacturers should cut losses and stop production of unsuccessful products. Thus saving continued investments and freeing up resources. No doubt there is merit in that argument.

There are two things that happen after the product is pulled out:
1. The resale value of the product tanks.
2. Overtime spares availability becomes sparse. Though legally manufacturers are supposed to continue to provide spares for x years (I think x=10, not sure about the number).

On the flip side, there are reasons which would have manufacturers continue to support these unsuccessful products. Below are few I could think of:

1. Huge capital investments have already been made in equipment, processes, RnD with relative less investment required to keep the product afloat. Hence makes economic sense.
2. There are customers who would have bought these products after launch. A manufacturer aggressively pulling out unsuccessful product would leave a bad taste for the existing customers and thus bring down faith in the brand as a whole. Next time a new product is launched, the customers would be apprehensive about trusting the brand to continue supporting the product for a long enough time, irrespective of the performance of the product in the market.

I would like to believe that manufacturers continue to keep the unsuccessful products in the portfolio primarily for #2 reason, with the long-term brand equity in mind.
Old 29th June 2018, 07:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Whoa! Whoa! My fellow Bhp-ians The Nuvosport was not simply a facelifted Quanto, and neither was it the same platform.

The Quanto was a chopped Xylo, and those two share their platform with the Genio and the Imperio pickup trucks.

The Nuvosport, though sporting the Quanto shell, has underpinnings based on the latest Scorpio platform, just like the TUV300. So this one was somewhere between the TUV300 and the Quanto.

D

Thats some new information! I do not think the quanto and the nuvosport were based on different platforms. I think the nuvosport might have been reworked a little bit, but if they are from different platforms, then it is almost like a new product!

If Mahindra had indeed worked so heavily on the underpinnings and platform of the nuvosport, which in case include suspension, transmission amongst other things, why would they resort to using the quanto body shell?

As far as I know, developing a platform, engines, transmission are the more expensive job affairs, body shell may be not as much. So if all this is right, should Mahindra not made an effort to at least reduce the height of the nuvosport which was one of the sore points of Xylo and the quanto?
Old 29th June 2018, 08:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post

IMHO, the Quanto-to-Nuvosport facelift might have looked better on the Xylo instead.
That's interesting. And this was actually better looking than the others in that line. Sad, if the discontinuation is true. Also goes to show how Indian car buying public likes more quirky stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If Mahindra had indeed worked so heavily on the underpinnings and platform of the nuvosport, which in case include suspension, transmission amongst other things, why would they resort to using the quanto body shell?
It could be because of the homologation costs. Similar example: The Safari Storme. The body shell mostly that of the Safari. Name modified to append Storme. Engine may still be the 2.2 DICOR, but underneath it was more Aria than Safari. Handles differently too.

Last edited by condor : 29th June 2018 at 08:18.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

The very first lines of this thread had similar thoughts, I am not surprised. Good riddance.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:30   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nothing that resembles the Xylo will ever work. The Xylo was too ugly and its smaller siblings weren't any different (although I have to sheepishly admit that I liked the NuvoSport's front end).

When I reviewed the Quanto, I was very impressed with the sheer space and torquey diesel. Equally, the horrible styling & bumpy ride were a turnoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketz View Post
I have read countless comments over many similar threads that manufacturers should cut losses and stop production of unsuccessful products. Thus saving continued investments and freeing up resources. No doubt there is merit in that argument.
The most important resource is management bandwidth. The company can better spend its time & thoughts on successful products, rather than waste them on flops. Even Maruti has greatly trimmed its portfolio in the last 5 years by removing a lot of flop models.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

I guess this was about to happen becuase of low sales but a question I have in mind for the Mahindra folks:

What was Nuvosport anyway doing after the launch of TUV300?
Who was the audience (in contrast to the TUV buyers)?
Old 7th July 2018, 08:25   #13
BHPian

I asked about this at TVS Mahindra @ Trivandrum, and they replied that the production had been stopped and that they had sold the last vehicle in their yard at a discount of almost 1.5 lacs.

It was a weird design for sure, but it was a nicer UV than the TUV3OO in some ways. It was taller, had better seats, a better AV system (at launch), had nicer, bigger alloys, and had features like cruise control. It also had the more powerful 100bhp mill on all the variants, and not just the top model, like in the TUV. The huge windows made it nice and airy inside.

It was far more ergonomic overall, as it was based on the Quanto. Mahindra took an effort to make it look plush, in their own bumbling way.

I had finalised this for my new car in 2016, but the decision was immediately vetoed by the rest of the family, as it was a Mahindra and not as refined or reliable as the Ecosport.

I also think it looks better than the TUV. I realise that this makes me a minority, but I just think that it looks more purposeful, especially from the front. The stance is also better, IMO, as the wheels don't look tucked into the wells like in the TUV (my biggest gripe with TUV's looks), but stick out with purpose.

I'm satisfied with the Ecosport, but sometimes I do wish I'd picked this up, as it was more exclusive.

Last edited by vivekgk : 7th July 2018 at 08:28. Reason: Adding more stuff..
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed