Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Honda India starts test production of Civic & CR-V

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Rumour: Honda India starts test production of Civic & CR-V-civic.jpg

Test production of the upcoming Honda Civic and CR-V has commenced. The company has built 3 units of the Civic for testing purposes. Honda is also building a small number of CR-Vs before series production can begin sometime in the near future.

Media reports suggest that Honda is planning to launch the new Civic and CR-V in the second half of the current fiscal. In addition to these and the recently launched second generation Amaze, the carmaker plans to launch 3 new products over the next 3 years.

Rumour: Honda India starts test production of Civic & CR-V-crv.jpg

The new Civic and CR-V have already been introduced in the international market. The tenth generation Civic comes with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 170 BHP and 220 Nm paired with a CVT. The CR-V is offered with a 2.4-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine with 170 BHP and 224 Nm and a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder turbo diesel with 158 BHP and 350 Nm. Transmission options include a 9-speed automatic and CVT.

To checkout the new Civic click here.

To checkout the new CR-V click here.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd July 2018 at 11:41.
TusharK is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:22   #2
BHPian

Hopefully the new gen civic won't bottom out as much as the old gen.
Just wondering what would be positioning of new civic? Elantra competitor ?
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Honda India starts test production of Civic & CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Test production of the upcoming Honda Civic and CR-V has commenced.
Test production as in CKD, or will these two be localized and built in India itself?
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hope they Iron out the old Civic's problems in this one namely

1. The bottom scraping issue when fully loaded.
2. The Infamous engine mount.
3. The PS rack and pump leak. I am assuming this won't be an issue as cars these days come with EPS (Electronic Power Steering).

I am wondering how they can use the existing R18 engine to meet the upcoming 2020 norms?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd July 2018 at 12:31.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting this launch. Price the higher models around Compass' higher models and it will be a hit. I think I would go for the CRV. However being a 7 seater, they might just end up launching this in Tiguan territory. I will be in the market for one in a few months or a year and right now the Tucson, Compass and X1 seem to be the only viable option in terms of size and price. If CRV can get into that mix they will start nicking off a lot of buyers since the market is shifting to SUV's which can do a great job in the city.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I see a market for the CRV, the Civic simply doesn't cut it for the current market. Honda should focus on getting the HRV, they'll definitely rule the segment. The Civic will be entering a market that has all but forgotten about the D segment, crossovers rule and its time Honda got in a product that while nothing like the Civic reclaims the prestige associated with the name.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 13:54   #7
BHPian

In the CR-V, I wonder if they will get the 1.5 turbo petrol that they have on offer in the USA. My brother owns one and he seems quite satisfied with it.

I really wonder if this massive downsizing with turbos really works in real world conditions. From 2.4 to 1.5 ltr is quite a significant drop.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2018 at 15:08. Reason: Poor language & grammar
aniyo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am wondering how they can use the existing R18 engine to meet the upcoming 2020 norms?
Hi Sumeet,

I have not been following the new Civic development but I think it is not powered by an 'R' engine at all this time. Since, it is now official that the car is powered by 1.5 ltr engine, so it's not '18' as well. So, certainly R-18 engine is not the one that will power it.

I'm not sure but the engine could be the well tested L-15A engine (1500 CC) which drives the Honda Fit/ Jazz, more so since it is turbocharged.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I see a market for the CRV, the Civic simply doesn't cut it for the current market. Honda should focus on getting the HRV, they'll definitely rule the segment. The Civic will be entering a market that has all but forgotten about the D segment, crossovers rule and its time Honda got in a product that while nothing like the Civic reclaims the prestige associated with the name.
I actually feel the other way; the CR-V with a price tag in the 30+ lakhs range can probably take some numbers out of the Kodiaq. But with the Civic Honda got a chance – it looks big for its segment with great road presence, spacious, quality levels are good and it will be the entry point to the once-famed Honda quality.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 16:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The tenth generation Civic comes with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 170 BHP and 220 Nm paired with a CVT. The CR-V is offered with a 2.4-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine with 170 BHP and 224 Nm and a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder turbo diesel with 158 BHP and 350 Nm. Transmission options include a 9-speed automatic and CVT.
Great news.
Regarding the Civic, I see there is no mention of the 1.8l NA petrol engine and nor any diesel engine. Personally, I would like the 1.5 turbo petrol but with an MT.
This should bring in a little competition to the D segment with elantra, octavia, etc.
A civic 1.5l turbo petrol should do well against the Octavia 1.4tsi but might fall short of the 1.8tsi.
Let hope they price it well.
Old 3rd July 2018, 20:19   #11
BHPian

Honda could leverage this opportunity and launch limited units of the Civic Type R as a brand building exercise. With 306bhp and a 0-100kph time of around 4.6 seconds, the Type R could leave vRS’ and 530d’s gasping. This would definitely give Honda’s brand image a much-needed lift in one of the world’s largest car markets.
petroguzzler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 20:28   #12
BHPian

CR-V would be too expensive for the mass market segment. They need to bring HR-V which will be a potential blockbuster with appeal to masses. Civic will always have enthusiasts to bank upon but not sure if that would be enough to keep the line running.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 22:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
They need to bring HR-V which will be a potential blockbuster with appeal to masses.
I think for now Honda will not consider bringing HRV to India.

The all new Amaze platform would enable Honda to bring a Compact SUV. This will benefit Honda to keep their costs in check. I am hoping personally that new Honda Compact SUV developed from new platform will be priced competitively. I am also guessing that Honda will launch new SUV with CVT 1.5 liter Petrol and Diesel Engines.

But as usual they are late in this segment especially when the following car manufacturers are gearing up:
  • Jeep
  • Hyundai
  • Kia
  • MG Motors

Can Honda manage to get the best car in current fierce competition?
We have to just wait and watch. I personally think by 2020, Indian automotive industry will go into huge changes.

Why do I think so?

See how companies are merging with each other for better market share.
  • Toyota and Suzuki (Toyota using Suzuki cars for mass market)
  • Hyundai and Fiat (Recent news)
GRAND23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I think for now Honda will not consider bringing HRV to India.

The all new Amaze platform would enable Honda to bring a Compact SUV.
Localized version of HRV is being developed for India based on the Amaze platform.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4398683
Old 4th July 2018, 03:04   #15
BHPian

They are a little late to the party. Given the low sales for D segment cars, Civic has a very little chance to do well. Especially given the competition - we have a very commendable Hyundai Elantra and Skoda Octavia.

It's sad really, the car that was once the segment leader - on everyone's wishlist would probably not be welcomed back with the same love and affection.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks