Team-BHP - Recalled: Mercedes CLA 200 petrol for Steering Column issue; could trigger airbag
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Recalled: Mercedes CLA 200 petrol for Steering Column issue; could trigger airbag (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/199906-recalled-mercedes-cla-200-petrol-steering-column-issue-could-trigger-airbag.html)

FYI: Received the attached letter received from Mercedes-Benz regarding rework on steering column of Mercedes-Benz CLA 200 Petrol (2016).

As quoted by the vehicle manufacturer in the letter "Mercedes-Benz India has found that the steering column on the vehicle may not be sufficiently grounded. It is possible that in combination with internal damage to the connections in the steering column switch module that the driver airbag could trigger without obvious cause through electrostatic discharge. this may result in a risk of injury for the driver along with an increase in the risk of an accident. An airbag warning message in the instrument cluster as well as the red airbag indicator lamp display the presence of damage to the driver beforehand. As a part of a recall, we therefore wish to create sufficient grounding for the steering column on your vehicle as a precautionary measure."

Recalled: Mercedes CLA 200 petrol for Steering Column issue; could trigger airbag-mercedes-benz-cla-200-petrol.jpg

Looks like July is turning out to be the recall month for Indian cars. First it was Ford for their Ecosport, then Toyota for its Crysta and now it is Mercedes with its CLA petrol.

Thanks for posting this, I too have a 2016 CLA but haven’t got this recall letter.
Would you please check what month manufacturing your car is? This would help me question my dealership when I send in my car next month for annual service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4426505)
Thanks for posting this, I too have a 2016 CLA but haven’t got this recall letter.
Would you please check what month manufacturing your car is? This would help me question my dealership when I send in my car next month for annual service.

Hi Sahil,

The month of manufacturing of my car is July-2016.

I think you should check with your dealer immediately as this is a serious issue for recall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 4426771)
Hi Sahil,

The month of manufacturing of my car is July-2016.

I think you should check with your dealer immediately as this is a serious issue for recall.

Same pinch. Mine is a July 2016 MFD too. Going to check with the dealer ASAP.

Let me know what all parts they change when you send her in.

Same here, but its not restricted to the CLA, I got it for my February'16 GLA and my brother for his C Class

Just got a call back from Shaman MB dealer in Mumbai that inspite of my car being July 2016 MFD there is no recall required. Provided them my VIN as well as a screenshot of this letter.

Hence it seems like this is a VIN specific recall and not across all cars manufactured in the same period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4426891)
Same pinch. Mine is a July 2016 MFD too. Going to check with the dealer ASAP.

Let me know what all parts they change when you send her in.

Hi Sahil,
I have sent my car to the workshop today. They informed me that they are going to check the whole steering assembly including all electronic modules and components and then do the necessary work as mentioned in the recall letter. Time taken by the workshop would be around 2 hours.

I have just had a recall on my W205 C Class for seatbelt issues. It took around 3 hours to replace.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX XXXXX

Service Measure: Replacement of seat belt for driver and front passenger seat
Registration No. XXXXXXXX
Chassis No. XXXXXX

The name Mercedes-Benz stands for quality and safety. To live up to this standard, we continue
to monitor our vehicles even after they have already been delivered to customers.

In the process, we have found that the propellant mixing ratio in certain seat belt tensioner ignition squibs in your vehicle may not meet the specifications. In the event of an accident triggering the corresponding seat belt tensioners, they may not be able to be deployed. As a result, these seat belt tensioners may not provide the intended restraining effect. This could increase the risk of injury to the occupants.

We therefore would like to replace the potentially affected seat belts on your vehicle as a precautionary measure. The required work will be carried out on free of charge basis.

We request you to book an appointment with our personals.

You may contact:XXXXXX(PRE),customerconnect@akshayabenz.co m

We apologize for this additional workshop visit and ask for your understanding in this matter.

Ensuring the quality of our vehicles will continue to be our top priority.

MODS, Please add the C Class seatbelt recall to the thread heading or create a separate thread or merge with any other as deemed fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 4428703)
Hi Sahil,
I have sent my car to the workshop today. They informed me that they are going to check the whole steering assembly including all electronic modules and components and then do the necessary work as mentioned in the recall letter. Time taken by the workshop would be around 2 hours.

Got my car the same day from the workshop. As usual first they checked the mandatory parameters of the vehicle and thereafter, did some grounding work for the steering column. Also the software was updated. This was all the work that was done.

Attached is the Invoice for the work done by Mercedes-Benz workshop.

Recalled: Mercedes CLA 200 petrol for Steering Column issue; could trigger airbag-mercedes-benz-cla-200-work.jpg

Apparently this recall isn't just restricted to the CLA200 variant. I have just received the Recall letter from T&T motors to check the steering column on my CLA45.

Recalled: Mercedes CLA 200 petrol for Steering Column issue; could trigger airbag-recallnotice.jpg

I got the same letter for my March 2014 B-class.

Seems like an issue that effects quite a few MB models.
The job took about 4 hours to complete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4427376)
Just got a call back from Shaman MB dealer in Mumbai that inspite of my car being July 2016 MFD there is no recall required. Provided them my VIN as well as a screenshot of this letter.

Hence it seems like this is a VIN specific recall and not across all cars manufactured in the same period.

My car is part of the recall, the dealer misinformed me earlier :Frustrati

Service is due next month so I guess I will get it done at that time itself.