Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 09:25   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I really do not understand why so many people are obsessed with the 'low' ground clearance of 'only' 155mm.

Just because there is not one literate civil engineer in India, and contractors keep making speed breakers of random specification, often inspired by the Himalayas, does not mean that the car manufacturers have to tolerate this buffoonery. How long must the manufacturers suffer because of others incompetence?

The car is perfectly fine. The problem is the roads, and the people who make the roads. At some point you have to stop increasing the ground clearance to absurd proportions which also compromises the handling of the car.
You cant make cars with low ground clearance and expect that the roads will be taken care of. Its something that we cannot predict here... the condition of the roads, i mean. Better to be prepared, rather than sorry.

Coming on the car... i think it looks good from the pics they have put up, however, i dont think it would look as good in reality.

Pricing seems to be a major blunder, is what i feel.
Swift diesel will continue unaffected for sure.

Waiting for the reviews to start coming in.
Old 4th April 2007, 10:07   #182
BHPian

In the interview I was reading in this thread the designer was saying that it wanted to capture the Indian Market by making the car cheap and affordable. He also said as the profit margins will be low & they were more concentrating on high volumes . I think Logan is ok to look at but Mahindra has not thought about the price factor very well. I myself was very much interested and waiting for the LOGAN Release but again it was a complete disappointment. I think Indian consumers are entering a phase where more and more people are upgrading to higher version of cars. I rememeber 6 years from now before launch of the TATA INDICA , maximum of the mass used to go for Maruti 800 and then if u wanted a jump go for a Maruti ZEN. TATA INDICA however came and revolutionized that . I am saying this because we ourselves jumped from a Maruti 800 to Tata Indica. Now as the market is emerging more and more people are wanting to take that jump. The lower end of Indigo's was aimed at those kind of consumers. Logan was again being aimed for those kind of consumers who wanted to jump from Hatchbacks to Sedans, but seeing its price I am very sceptical about it being able to achieve its goals !! What say fellows ??
Old 4th April 2007, 10:14   #183
Senior - BHPian

Any one with the test drive exp???

Just curious about how this car will perform.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:04   #184
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why are some disappointed with the pricing? The 1.4 petrol is priced extremely well and its positioning is perfect for the entry-level sedan.

The diesel is within the range of the Indigo. The premium, of course, is for the presumed increase in quality. I think the Logan is priced fantastically for the 1.4 and mid-equipped diesels. Leave aside the fully-loaded diesel and 1.6 as they arent going to be the best sellers.

The Indigo has a lot of rough edges. The next diesel sedan is the Fiesta priced at almost 8 lacs!

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2007 at 11:06.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:12   #185
BHPian

Can anyone do a favor and have a tabular comparison of base models ( diesel ) of Indigo/Logan/Fiesta ? ( with prices )

Last edited by navdeep : 4th April 2007 at 11:16.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:15   #186
elf
BANNED

GTO: Methinks most were disappointed with the pricing as they hoped for a sedan at the price of a mid-level hatch - between 3.5 - 4.0 lakhs.

I think the pricing's great.

Somebody also mentioned earlier about not being able to place things on the dashboard because it slopes.
Your dashboard is not a parcel shelf.

And what's all the noise about Indian civil engineers & Indian roads, eh?
A company that intends to produce a mass market product must look at the ground realities of that market, not go by published ideals. Of course we have specifications for speed-breakers. It's just that they're ignored.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:27   #187
Senior - BHPian

The petrol version is priced well no doubt,but consider a similarly positioned ikon.How many Ford ikons are sold in a month.

The disappointment is with regards to the pricing of the diesels.The top most range is at 6.5 lakhs,for a car with a car for the masses tag that is too steep an ex-showroom price,luxury comes at a premium and so that model can be overlooked but the base diesel should have been more closer to the 5 lakh tag.I say for myself sometimes even 10k is too much a pinch on your pocket in this segment of cars.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:34   #188
BHPian

From the website, the car looks fine. Interiors too are ok. Nothing spectacular about the look and feel. But then this is the top end model that is being shown. Need to see how the lower models looks. From the varient comparisions, it should not be too different.
Besides for the low clarance issue, two points I noticed.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the "Confort" pictures under Features, does if show the Rear power windows between the Front seats space??? If so, I don't like it! Then again, the rear arm rest seems to have a recessed space at the front corner, so hopefully the power Window switch is there.

Secondly, as rightly mentioned by another member earlier, there is a price difference of just under 50K between the GL and GLE model and by the comparision the only difference is Power Steering. Whether is this a wise decision or not, I cannot say, but it does not seem right.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:37   #189
BHPian

Typo Error. In my previous post, please read it as ".....Rear Power Window Switch between the front seats...." I left the word "Switch" out.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:57   #190
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The disappointment is with regards to the pricing of the diesels.The top most range is at 6.5 lakhs,for a car with a car for the masses tag that is too steep an ex-showroom price,luxury comes at a premium and so that model can be overlooked but the base diesel should have been more closer to the 5 lakh tag.I say for myself sometimes even 10k is too much a pinch on your pocket in this segment of cars.
Well, I havent driven the Indian Logan (though intend to soon) so will hold detailed comments for later. But lets think in terms of value and not price. The success of many cars like the Alto (800 is cheaper), Swift (premium hatch), Fiesta (versus Indigo) and even the Honda Accord shows that Indian buying trends have shifted toward value and not price.

So for the price premium, what does the Logan offer over the Indigo. Again, these are presumptions. But conservative presumptions keeping in mind global success and reviews:

1. Newer product.
2. Depth of engineering.
3. Lesser niggling problems.
4. Common-rail versus old-school diesel of the Indigo.
5. Overall quality.

You can also factor in the import content versus the localised Indigo, but the customer couldnt care less about this. Just a consideration on the price differential. The verdict will be taken by the market, and I await the initial and long-term sales figures of the Logan vis a vis the Indigo.

Quote:
The top most range is at 6.5 lakhs,for a car with a car for the masses tag that is too steep an ex-showroom price
Yup, lets leave the fully-loaded variant out of the price discussion as it is not targetted at the masses. Also, it offers airbags which its competitor does not.

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2007 at 11:58.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:03   #191
BHPian

Here's the Prices from the Mahindra Renault Website

Price Petrol Model Price (in INR) ** GL 1.4 427,950 GLE 1.4 471,915 GLS 1.6 568,789 Diesel Model Price (in INR) ** DLE 1.5 dci 547,064 DLS 1.5 dci 643,939 ** Ex-Showroom Navi Mumbai Prices For exact prices, please contact our dealer.
Prices are applicable within the specified city limits only. All prices are subject to change. Mahindra Renault reserves the right to modify the prices at its discretion at any point in time.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:07   #192
Senior - BHPian

I think this is one car, that if handled well, can really shake up the Indian market. It is all up to the marketing and A.S.S. On the pricing, I agree with GTO, it is priced very well. Maybe M&M (not the chocolate) should look at that B-cities.

Am waiting for the big fights on print media. Really waiting.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:12   #193
BHPian

Same here typeOnegative, i am waiting for the same.... fight of the print Medias, since i belong from one of them... Waiting for the post Launch campaign, i am sure the planning is done. Will rush to the agency asap
Old 4th April 2007, 12:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

I too agree that the renault logan would end up doing pretty well,and we are in for some serious business in this segment of the market.

Interior space and boot space seems to be very good from what I saw in the television reviews.Three headrests at the back[a first in this segment].
Old 4th April 2007, 12:15   #195
Team-BHP Support

I am waiting for the comparos which the auto mags will soon start with. Autocar will defintiely say this IS the best... coz they say latest is always the best. :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks