Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Renault designer Kenneth Melville, a Scottish national who joined Renault from Mercedes-Benz (DCX ), spoke with BusinessWeek Senior European Correspondent Gail Edmondson about the secret of making a quality car at a low price. Edited excerpts of their conversation follow:

Q: Who do you see as the key competition for the Logan? Did you use any particular auto maker as a benchmark?

A: We looked very closely at Tata Motors in India. From a design point of view, they're doing interesting things. They're trying to build more modern-looking cars. The Tata Indigo is a rival, but it's a little more expensive than the Logan.

Q: What was the toughest part of designing the Logan?

A: The most challenging thing for the designers was to swallow our pride -- we want things to look beautiful, or as attractive as possible. At Mercedes, I worked on the design of the SLK and the S-Class. [Letting go of that] was the hardest thing.
That was interesting. Thanks ravradha.
Logan looks better than Indigo and esteem for sure.
I believe Logan is going to create a big impact in the C(lower) segment.
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

No pics, My camera battery died :(

But the looks are plane jane. The front headlights ar somwhat similar to current Alto's. Overall I was dissappointed but then again looks are subjective. Also donno about engine so lets see
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:00   #18
BHPian

Great to see Indian's setting the benchmark for the world!!!

Quote:

Q: Who do you see as the key competition for the Logan? Did you use any particular auto maker as a benchmark?

A: We looked very closely at Tata Motors in India. From a design point of view, they're doing interesting things. They're trying to build more modern-looking cars. The Tata Indigo is a rival, but it's a little more expensive than the Logan.
Wow!!! First time that i heard a designer of an international car manufacturer looks at an Indian product as something to beat! Very shortly the world will start looking at our Rs.1L car.. If not anything, we are being noticed as designers/manufacturers rather than just a market.. Reva, Mahindras, Tatas have slowly but surely started putting Indian automotive products on the world map.. I guess in another 7-10 years, we will be one of the leaders in low cost cars in the world market outside of the US..
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, will the logan be even more cheaper than Tata indigo? Sounds exciting....
what i know is currently the Tata cars are one of the cheapest options we have.
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:07   #20
Suryam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Well, will the logan be even more cheaper than Tata indigo? Sounds exciting....
what i know is currently the Tata cars are one of the cheapest options we have.
W have to admire our desi-manufacturers for making it happen -- making a decent(but not the best) C-segment car's price to lower side.

History shows that this is cannot be done by European/American car manufacturer. But Japanese/Korean manufacturer's could have done it -- they have resources(technolgy,locally manufacturing plants). But they didn't as they want to produce less and get more margins -- less volume, high profit buisiness.

Same guys willj jump in to this low-end-C-segement in future with their products once they feel there is a market.

Off-topic:
They should learn how Microsoft NT-OS killed all major SW-vendors OSes(HP,Digital, Sun, Aix,etc) with low-price/huge-volume OS strategy.

Old 2nd January 2007, 16:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday i was watching AXN at night and i saw Mahindra Renault ad. It was a this program is sponsored by Mahindra Renault.

So Logan will be hitting roads by the end of JAN or 1st week of FEB...
Old 2nd January 2007, 16:30   #22
BHPian

What about sales and service? Will it be sold in Mahindra showrooms alone or will "Mahindra Renault" get separate showrooms? Same with servicing, its not very clear... I am not sure if current Mahindra service centers can handle "volume driven" car that Logan is portrayed to be...
Old 2nd January 2007, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Even i am seeing Mahindra renault name in CNBC, but didnt see any particular ad abt logan..

Anyone has more info abt this car? abt the pricing,time of launch, specs etc..
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Even i am seeing Mahindra renault name in CNBC, but didnt see any particular ad abt logan..

Anyone has more info abt this car? abt the pricing,time of launch, specs etc..
Launch will be in between end of JAN - FEB not sure though. Pricing will be around TATA Indigo. Specs of diesel are dci 68 BHP. Its all i know.
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Launch will be in between end of JAN - FEB not sure though. Pricing will be around TATA Indigo. Specs of diesel are dci 68 BHP. Its all i know.
The Mahindra-Renault advertisment has been around on various channels for around 15 days now.

It will be competitive price and less than indigo. I read it somehwhere.
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

Read in some sites that the Logan is almost as roomy on the inside, as the Toyota Corolla..

Can anybody please verify???
Old 3rd January 2007, 02:38   #27
elf
BANNED

Here's 2 pics of the exterior:

And a pic of the dashboard:

More interior pics here:
Renault Logan - Interior of Renault Logan Sedan

For more information:
1. Renault Logan - Interior of Renault Logan Sedan
2. renault logan - Google Image Search

Quite a decent design. I, for one, love the clean, uncluttered lines.

Last edited by elf : 3rd January 2007 at 02:39.
Old 3rd January 2007, 07:39   #28
BHPian

Looks lot better than Indigo atleast...and the engine is likely to be far better because it is newer-gen if price is close, it will have good demand..unless Indigo responds by cutting price.

Since it was designed to carry four adults, a bag of potatoes and a pig :-) it should be spacious!
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:49   #29
BHPian

@elf : good job done ...
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

@elf bang on this is the exact colour I saw in Lonavla the front logo is different & the bonnet curves are not that claer as shown in pic, also the black band on front & rear bumper was not there. Hmm if it has such plain looks & a mere 68 horses then I guess it will be priced really low & in that case it just might be good buy

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd January 2007 at 10:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks