Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 15:51   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheelbase is not a necessary measure of the cabin size. The Corolla has a bigger body and is intended for more front and/or rear-seat ute than the Logan. Even if the Logan's shell is maxed for cabin space, it'll be at the expense of the other 2 boxes - engine bay and boot area - owing to the cost sensitivity of its target segment

Last edited by theMAG : 28th March 2007 at 15:57.
Old 28th March 2007, 16:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

The Logan actually compares well to the Corolla as far as interior space is concerned. Thats partly due to its simplistic boxy dimensions as against the egg-shell shape which some modern cars have.
Ride quality is expected to be the best in segment. About the NVH levels, yes not as good as Fiesta, but certainly better than Indigo.

Last edited by DCEite : 28th March 2007 at 16:13.
Old 28th March 2007, 16:57   #93
BHPian

I checked out the specs it beats Indigo big time and more or less at par with Corolla and beats Verna, Fiesta, Aveo etc too not by much though. The only problem that I see is the ground clearance at 155 it is too low a car for Indian roads, I had read somewhere that was one of the few things that will change in the Indian version, I hope they get it closer to 170 or thereabout else they will have a tough time selling it.

The approx launch price that I have seen is $10000 (that is what some international websites are quoting) that makes it 4.50 L and I hope it is for the base model else be ready a complete wipe off of TATA, Hyundia, Ford, GM and to some extent Maruti. Do you all think that we are going to see more realistic prices of the Indigos, swifts, the soon to be launched NMB, Verna, Fiesta and the Aveo.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:17   #94
BHPian

If the 1.5L Diesel version is a crdi at a price tag of 6L+, its sure gonna beat the verna, Fiesta and all other sedans in this segment.
Lets wait & watch, few test drive reviews will give us a better idea about this car.
Old 28th March 2007, 23:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 5 lac price for the base-diesel will, however, turn some tables.
The maruti 800 changed the Indian automobile scenario completely.Cars became affordable to a major chunk of the economy.But have times changed.Today people more and more people can afford cars in the Rs. 5 lakh segment.Will the renault logan start a new trend like the maruti 800 did?With our infatuation with diesel sedans the logan may just do that,we may just see a shift over from hatches to sedans.

The Maruti swift diesel Vs Renault logan battle would be really interesting[hopefully both are priced similarly].Also I am sure companies like tata,ford and hyundai would not sit with their hands folded.Tata's have their own advantages[just the sheer number of variants they are able to manage with the indigo platform gives them such an advantage]

Would an average indian prefer a sedan or a hatch for the same price?

PS: All this holds only if mahindra renault prices the logan correctly
Old 28th March 2007, 23:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
If the 1.5L Diesel version is a crdi at a price tag of 6L+, its sure gonna beat the verna, Fiesta and all other sedans in this segment.
I beg to differ my friend but Logan is nowhere near Fiesta and Verna Refinements level. The NVH levels can not be matched with these upper segment cars. Though it may effect the sales a bit but not by that much margin.

Though it can eat up Indigo XL any day if price 6lac. But again time will tell so lest wait and watch.
Old 29th March 2007, 03:20   #97
BHPian

I had personally seen this vehicle at the 77th Geneva Motor Show held recently. I had a good look at the exterior and the interior.

Here are my observations:

01. Looks like a cheap remake of the Ikon.
02. Average build quality.
03. Poor interiors (really boring)
04. Poor on-road presence
05. Looks out dated in some angles.
06. ABS and Airbags maybe missing from the Indian version, so it cant be any more safer than other cars out here!
07. A very basic car in all aspects.
08. An outdated car compared to Verna, Fiesta and Aveo.
09. Could eat up the low end Indigos.
10. Better than Esteem but falls short of Ikon.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:06   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great inputs Sushant...pretty much in line with what I have heard. The Logan is an extremely basic yet rugged design. It really does not have too many frills and jazz, but is over-engineered to take the beating.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

If they price it anywhere below the 6L mark...it will be another boon for the taxi segment ...

What i feel is, they ll launch a stripped version of the logan as a taxi(below 6L) and higher end..also costing more for personal use..

Is it possible for someone to get any more info on pricing? hardly any time left before the launch now..no point in guessing the price...
Old 29th March 2007, 14:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What i feel is, they ll launch a stripped version of the logan as a taxi(below 6L) and higher end..also costing more for personal use..

Mahindra Renault dont want Logan to be percieved as a Taxi so are not going to release even a white painted model. There was a seperate thread on this some where.

Also Chennaites saw the new showroom of Mahindra Renault on Nelson Manickam Road. This was a Chevy Showroom until recently. It near the Ampa showroom where the new Mall is coming up.
Old 29th March 2007, 15:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

I honestly dont think that the Logan can threaten the Verna/Fiesta diesels. Sushant has clearly underlined the reasons why.

What I hope though, is that the Logan really takes the fight to Tata. The upside will be that Tata will have to up its game - better product, better service, better everything..

The Logan is a proven product in several markets and Mahindra-Renault have put it many many thousands of man hours to fine tune this car for India. Mahindra has to boost its showroom appeal in urban areas as well as making sure that the A.S.S is spot on from the word go.
Old 29th March 2007, 15:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Hmm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great inputs Sushant...pretty much in line with what I have heard. The Logan is an extremely basic yet rugged design. It really does not have too many frills and jazz, but is over-engineered to take the beating.
Typical Mahindra Engineering right from the Jeep to Baleno
Old 29th March 2007, 16:50   #103
BHPian

Having gone thru the spy pics/specs/pricing strategy of Logan's Indian version, I see it more as a competitor for IndiXXs. So, in way its good for us and we are the one going to reap the benefits out of their fights! We can expect for sure, big price correction for Indica/go and little bit with Swifts as well.

Meantime, I postphoned my Diesel purchase till July/August so that dusts settled down after the fight. By then Getz Diesel will be there as well.

Enjoy Indian Car Consumer! :-)
Old 29th March 2007, 16:54   #104
BHPian

I think there will no price correction until festival season. Leading players will evaluate the response and then they will form some strategies..
Old 29th March 2007, 17:04   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Typical Mahindra Engineering right from the Jeep to Baleno
Jeep to Baleno?????????????????????

Most Viewed