Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 00:02   #301
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics. Logan would surely be my choice over the Indigo. It has marginally better looks (boot looks a part of the same car unlike Indigo!!), better interiors and almost same price tag
Old 9th April 2007, 00:04   #302
Senior - BHPian

The Auto show on CNBC claims the 1.6 petrol to be slow and sluggish.
Old 9th April 2007, 00:07   #303
Senior - BHPian

so what else is new.... we cant expect these guys to give us everything we want. Its about time the car guys realise the market for performance cars
Old 9th April 2007, 00:09   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
its been mentioned in a couple of places and also the blog spot link above posted by nbr, that NVH does intrude into cabin space, due to omission of soundproofing to keep the cost down.

So are we looking at NVH levels better or poorer than the Indigo ??
I dont think they have been keeping the cost low as far as india is concerned. A 7 lakh + car with a basic 1.5 litre 65 bhp engine can hardly be called value for money. Why wouldn't I invest some more money and go for something limoesque..... The indigo XL, its compared to S class in terms of rear legroom as aganist the puny C class the logan is being compared to
Old 9th April 2007, 00:15   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont think they have been keeping the cost low as far as india is concerned. A 7 lakh + car with a basic 1.5 litre 65 bhp engine can hardly be called value for money. Why wouldn't I invest some more money and go for something limoesque..... The indigo XL, its compared to S class in terms of rear legroom as aganist the puny C class the logan is being compared to
Im with you, 100% on this. I had commented earlier that their prices for the loaded version are not low at all. Indigo on the other hand in its Excel avtaar or otherwise,(with its share of bumps tough) is a much better, tried and tested and not to mention cheaper buy. At these price levels, the Logan better be really damn good or its curtains. Gone are the days indians will que up to buy a car announced. India Jaag gaya hai!!
Old 9th April 2007, 01:51   #306
Senior - BHPian

just read the top gear review of the Logan's first drive with pics. The indian version looks far better. The interiors tough are almost the same. Top gear seems very exited about the diesel claimig the engine to be very refined but they have expressed their concerns about the noise levels=in the car, that means that they have penny-pinched on the sound dampening front. Another problem is the aerodynamics. Not too cutting air kinds. well, we'll just have to wait and watch.
Old 9th April 2007, 10:59   #307
Senior - BHPian

The car has basic suspension, basic interiors (sorry beige dont mean luxury for me), 80's shape, a vey basic engine, they have even penny pinched on the sound deadening front and still its costs 7 + lakh rupees on-road which is not cheap by any stretch of imagination no matter how refined or economical the diesel is. The same car with all the bells and whistles including 3 (or maybe more) air bags costs equivalent to 9000$ which is still below the 5 lakh mark. It seems the philoshpy here is that its big (as big as fiesta, verna and the likes), its diesel and its economical to run and own so Indian "will" buy it because its a known fact now that we compromise on each and everything if the car is economical, big and diesel. In which case the logan is chepaer by around 1 lakh compared to Fiesta, Verna and the likes.
Bah.... I want this car to fail... Mahindra has dissapointed big time.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:04   #308
Senior - BHPian

1. The A/C vents look like the Ford Fiesta's.

2. The power window switches are on the center console . I thought Renault would teach Mahindra a thing or two about ergonomics but looks like Mahindra actually managed to influence Renault more.

Quote:
The car has basic suspension, basic interiors (sorry beige dont mean luxury for me), 80's shape, a vey basic engine, they have even penny pinched on the sound deadening front and still its costs 7 + lakh rupees on-road which is not cheap by any stretch of imagination no matter how refined or economical the diesel is. The same car with all the bells and whistles including 3 (or maybe more) air bags costs equivalent to 9000$ which is still below the 5 lakh mark.
I totally agree with you. And someone did mention reading in the newspapers that cheaper labour in India results in 30% savings in cost compared to Europe and yet the car with lesser features is more expensive in India then Europe?! I am beginning to feel that the Logan is the biggest rip-off thats been attempted on Indian car buyers. Pity that it had to come from a company led by Carlos Ghosn.

Quote:
Me too.

Last edited by amit : 9th April 2007 at 11:11.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:10   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The car has basic suspension, basic interiors (sorry beige dont mean luxury for me), 80's shape, a vey basic engine, they have even penny pinched on the sound deadening front and still its costs 7 + lakh rupees on-road which is not cheap by any stretch of imagination no matter how refined or economical the diesel is. The same car with all the bells and whistles including 3 (or maybe more) air bags costs equivalent to 9000$ which is still below the 5 lakh mark. It seems the philoshpy here is that its big (as big as fiesta, verna and the likes), its diesel and its economical to run and own so Indian "will" buy it because its a known fact now that we compromise on each and everything if the car is economical, big and diesel. In which case the logan is chepaer by around 1 lakh compared to Fiesta, Verna and the likes.
Welcome to the disappointed Logan seekers club. Why do big companies do such whacko stuff all the time?
Old 9th April 2007, 11:19   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Me too.
Add me into that list ..
Old 9th April 2007, 11:24   #311
BHPian

M&M has already started marketing that people are very happy with the prices of Logan. For Petrol its ok but base Diesel is a damb squib.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:29   #312
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the pictures in that Blogspot, I have actually started liking the Logan . Those pics are better than that of the website as they are clicked in broad day sunlight. However, I'll still not go and buy a Cheap Logan (Diesel) for close to 7 lakhs on the road!
Old 9th April 2007, 11:32   #313
BHPian

If the opinions expressed in this thread are anything to go by, then Logan will be a fiasco. M & M would deserve that. Like many people, I too was so looking forward to this launch, only to be bitter disappointed.

Hopefully, other launches planned during this year will not be so disappointing for their target audience.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:35   #314
Senior - BHPian

Googled on Dacia Logan pricing and found this site that lists prices of the car in France.

Comparing the top end diesels, the Logan LAUREATE costs Euro 10,590. Add Metalic paint (340), Air conditioning (890), Alloys (440), Radio, Cd, Mp3 (390) and electric rear windows (140), the total cost comes to Euro 12,790. Assuming 1 INR = Euro 60 the total cost comes to INR 7,67,400.

Source : Dacia Logan Prices.

Confusion: The Airconditioning option says it requires the selection of Power Steering option. But the options only lists power steering for the 1.4 Ambiante version at Euro 420.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:51   #315
elf
BANNED

I don't see why you guys are hoping that the Logan fails. There's no need to take it personally, & your levels of disappointment seem seriously misplaced. If YOU don't like it, simply don't buy it. But don't hope it fails before it starts.

There's obviously been a tremendous effort from Mahindra to bring it to India, & it seems they've done their research well. Also remember that it's the first car effort from Mahindra.

The pricing may not be to everybody's liking, but then hopefully it'll strike a chord with the intended buyers of Tata Indigo & produce stiff competition, which can only make things better for the Indian consumer.

Nobody's driven one yet. Please do remember that it's not marketed towards enthusiasts in India - it's mass market. That means first time buyers, taxi / fleet operators, retired folks, the government, & the aam junta.

We may tom-tom the fact that we're 10,000+ members on this forum, & that there should be at least 100,000 enthusiasts all over India, but what percentage of the car-buying population do we constitute?

After taking a good look at it in the flesh, methinks the car will do well.

At least I hope it does.

Most Viewed