Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors to supply Tigor EVs to Cognizant

Tata Motors will supply Tigor EVs to Cognizant. The cars will be deployed at the company's Hyderabad campus. The first batch of 10 vehicles has already been delivered.

Tata Motors to supply Tigor EVs to Cognizant-image-1-2.jpg

Tata Motors has also partnered with Volercars - a mobility solutions company to deliver integrated ground operations and fleet management solutions.

In partnership with other Tata Group companies, Tata Motors will setup charging infrastructure and provide maintenance services. Two fast charging stations will be built at Cognizant's Hyderabad campus. The company will also offer financial assistance for the procurement and functioning of its electric vehicles.

The Tigor EV is based on the Tigor compact sedan. It is powered by an all-electric drivetrain developed and supplied by Electra EV. The electric motor produces 40 BHP @ 4,500 rpm and is powered by a 216 Ah battery offering a claimed range of 130 km on single charge.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to supply Tigor EVs to Cognizant

Why is Tata not ready to sell it to public?
1st to EESL and now to Cognizant! When they have a ready product, what are they afraid of? I am sure there are a few people who are waiting for a better electric vehicle than the E2O.
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 13:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, someone at Tata is really good at selling a product, that too, to a big IT company with smart people at the helm ! Or these cars are really promising ?

Last I heard, people who have used the EVs provided by Tata and Mahindra are disappointed with the range they offer.

https://www.livemint.com/Auto/7OOIIW...-Mahindra.html
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 00:39   #4
BHPian

I think these are to be used within campus as how big resorts have golf carts with them. PProbably because the batteries actually don't have a long range for a company official's daily use, and IT companies could boast of a lesser carbon footprint within their campus as well. Makes a good case. Still makes me wonder, why Cognizant and why not TCS itself?
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 07:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
2 reasons I can think of :

1. I guess Tata is scared of initial negative publicity from the general public. The range in the present iterations is limited, and the general public may make a huge hullabaloo about it, if the real-life condition range is not as same as the publicized figure.

2. Moreover, these EVs to Cognizant are IMO concentrated to a particular region. If it were to sell to the general public, training SAs and Service personnel for complete new engine technology would be a mammoth task, and not economically feasible.
Also, here too, it is wary of possible negative backlash, as the public would then diss Tata's service in case of any bad experience.
sharktale is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:18   #6
BHPian

EV buyers/thinkers
1. Define your 2 main requirements right - Daily travel distance, Driver availability for utilisation.
2. Have your infrastructure right - mandatory to have Home charging point and charging point in office is a bonus.

If you are through with these 2 points, you will neither go wrong nor regret in buying an EV.
I used e2O [80KM range] for about 13 months. 100% satisfied with it, very comfortable to drive/commute and very economical.

My thought process went wrong with the "driver availability for better utilisation". While buying it, I thought I can make my wife drive it, but she doesn't want to

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 23:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
... what are they afraid of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Or these cars are really promising ?

Last I heard, people who have used the EVs provided by Tata and Mahindra are disappointed ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
I think these are to be used within campus as how big resorts have golf carts ....Still makes me wonder, why Cognizant and why not TCS itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
2 reasons I can think of :

1. I guess Tata is scared of initial negative publicity .....

2. .... training SAs and Service personnel for complete new engine technology would be a mammoth task...
At the risk of being called a fanboy, I wanted to clear the above negative vibes generated on this rather welcome move of replacing 200 pollution causing vehicles by electric cars. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tata-motors-partners-with-cognizant-to-supply-tigor-evs-worth-rs-18-22-crore.

Well, I think Tata reserves a generous pat on the back for pursuing the electric revolution for India (M&M too!) and also Cognizant for putting public health before profits.

Selling to Govt. or to a world-leading professional services company, shows the confidence of the makers in the product and will go a long way in building consumer confidence.

They are well aware that the requisite charging infrastructure is not in place, hence, are cracking deals where they can bundle charging stations and other maintenance contracts in the deal instead of providing half-cooked solutions to the 'junta'.

And Tata being afraid! no Sir, if you see the company now and see their turnaround story, its only after pursing the tough road that they have come this far up the sales charts. They could have sold to TCS easily (or any of the 100 odd TATA companies) then the naysayers would say its sales to their 'own' company!

And if you see in the reported link above this order is of over 200 vehicles which can be put to actual use for employee transport and not as mere 'golf carts'!

130kms of single range coupled with 90 minutes of full charging time with 'fast' chargers would make these cars quite practical for employee pick-drop. Electric cars are quite straight forward electrical appliances with battery and motors and do not require path breaking technical know how to maintain.

At a time where international players (MSIL, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda...and the likes) are being shy of investing in such infrastructure, its kudos to the Indian giants for doing their bit to act as proof of concept.

Electric is the future, we have to accept it any how.

Last edited by Moto$apien : 21st July 2018 at 00:06.
Moto$apien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 09:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's Tata's first electric passenger vehicle and wouldn't be ready for mass retail sales yet. Selling it to Cognizant who would use it in controlled circumstances is different. Plus, the government & Cognizant have indirectly become an extension of Tata's R&D by testing the yet unsorted product and giving back valuable feedback to Tata.

Forget the public, the Tigor EV isn't even available to the media for a drive (we asked). Reasons are obvious. Of course, that could change with a magazine offering an 'exclusive' in exchange for a glowing 100% positive review that really doesn't paint a true picture.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2018 at 09:27.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 14:06   #9
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Forget the public, the Tigor EV isn't even available to the media for a drive (we asked).
If i remember correctly, it was shown on Zeegnition on Zee Business! Offcourse, they were all praises for the car. Can't seem to find any link on their youtube channel as all the videos are more than a year old.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's Tata's first electric passenger vehicle and wouldn't be ready for mass retail sales yet. Selling it to Cognizant who would use it in controlled circumstances is different. Plus, the government & Cognizant have indirectly become an extension of Tata's R&D by testing the yet unsorted product and giving back valuable feedback to Tata.

Forget the public, the Tigor EV isn't even available to the media for a drive (we asked). Reasons are obvious. Of course, that could change with a magazine offering an 'exclusive' in exchange for a glowing 100% positive review that really doesn't paint a true picture.
Hi GTO,

I understand that the Mahindra Verito EV is available for sale to the general public. And they launched in 2016, from looking at our Verito Electric thread elsewhere on this forum.

Have we asked Mahindra for a test drive ? I don't see a report anywhere on the forum.

I guess Mahindra should be tarred with the same brush then ? ... just so we retain our objectivity.

Maybe a test drive report of the Verito EV will nudge TML into a giving a Tigor EV test drive ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 21st July 2018 at 16:45.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:08   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Have we asked Mahindra for a test drive ? I don't see a report anywhere on the forum.

I guess Mahindra should be tarred with the same brush then ? ... just so we retain our objectivity.
Well, we have reviewed the E20 & E20 Plus .

Haven't even called for the Verito EV as I know few (if any) BHPians will be interested in the car. The Tigor EV however, many more would.

Let's not take the thread off-topic anymore please.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed