Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 08:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda Jazz launched at Rs. 7.35 lakh

While the facelift is definitely nothing to get excited about, it does make the car more competitive in the segment and the added features help justify the premium pricing to certain extent.

It is very clear that Honda India is not looking at the Jazz as a volume driver for them. Otherwise, they would not have removed the base variants. It is clear that they want to position it as a niche premium hatchback which is fine I guess as they have the Amaze and upcoming Brio to drive the volumes. I would have been happy with the strategy if they would have revamped the styling a bit and added DRLs,LED/projectors, adjustable rear headrests, split seats, reclining rear seats (the earlier Jazz X had that), rear AC vents and armrest, 16" wheels, thicker rubber etc to truly justify the premium, even if it would have increased the pricing of the top end model a bit. That way we would have a true premium hatchback below 10L

I think some of the members are finding the starting price high but if one looks at the feature list of the variants, then the pricing does not appear so high and much more competitive than the pre-facelift version. I would any day pay 50000 premium for the Jazz over Baleno given the better build quality, safety, looks and interiors (subjective)
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 08:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was in the Honda showroom yesterday evening, and while the new Jazz was displayed, they were still awaiting the price list. I had gone there to check out the Amaze 1.2 CVT.
After I saw the pricing, I could not, but help wonder that what in that car deserves so much money. It's not kitted as well as it's (lower priced) competition, has bland interiors and no magic seats.
I would have still understood it somewhat had they put in the 1.5 IVTEC, but with the 1.2 - Seriously?

This, from the same company that has so sweetly positioned the new Amaze!
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
While the facelift is definitely nothing to get excited about, it does make the car more competitive in the segment and the added features help justify the premium pricing to certain extent.

It is very clear that Honda India is not looking at the Jazz as a volume driver for them. Otherwise, they would not have removed the base variants. It is clear that they want to position it as a niche premium hatchback which is fine I guess as they have the Amaze and upcoming Brio to drive the volumes. I would have been happy with the strategy if they would have revamped the styling a bit and added DRLs,LED/projectors, adjustable rear headrests, split seats, reclining rear seats (the earlier Jazz X had that), rear AC vents and armrest, 16" wheels, thicker rubber etc to truly justify the premium, even if it would have increased the pricing of the top end model a bit. That way we would have a true premium hatchback below 10L

I think some of the members are finding the starting price high but if one looks at the feature list of the variants, then the pricing does not appear so high and much more competitive than the pre-facelift version. I would any day pay 50000 premium for the Jazz over Baleno given the better build quality, safety, looks and interiors (subjective)
I do agree, DRLs is a bad miss. Surprisingly even two wheels are now equipped with. Check out the new Honda Activa. Another big miss is the sporty all black interiors, the rear spoiler of the Vx. Again colours is something to talk about.Such a sporty car design is wrapped in dull colours, again a personal choice though. anyway i am looking forward to get the wing LED lights for the 2015 model. Hopefully these would be easier to get fitted.
jazzy47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I was in the Honda showroom yesterday evening, and while the new Jazz was displayed, they were still awaiting the price list. I had gone there to check out the Amaze 1.2 CVT.
After I saw the pricing, I could not, but help wonder that what in that car deserves so much money. It's not kitted as well as it's (lower priced) competition, has bland interiors and no magic seats.
I would have still understood it somewhat had they put in the 1.5 IVTEC, but with the 1.2 - Seriously?

We have the prices posted in the other thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4431051

One thing we have to settle on , is that Honda is NEVER going to put the 1.5L engine in the Jazz. It'll jack up the price even more, and only a handful of people are going to buy it.

Jazz shall continue to be the neither here nor there offering from Honda India, as Honda cannot seem to manufacture it at a lesser cost to compete at a price point with Baleno / i20, and investing too much to make the Jazz stand out may jeopardize the margins they are getting from WRV (jacked up Jazz) and City (Jazz with a trunk).

The current kit & pricing shall only help the Jazz to fit into certain niches, and only that shall be reflected in it's sales figures.
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Watch this video to see what we miss in latest 2018 Desi Jazz!

Man, this 1.5 RS is awesome!
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:29   #21
BHPian

The current Jazz (or now the out going Jazz) was priced at Rs. 6 - 8.5 lac for Petrol and 7.35 - 9.3 lac for Diesel. So now the 2018 Jazz starts at 7.35 lac for petrol, i.e. 1.35 lac increase in the base model price !! or am I missing something here ?
Old 20th July 2018, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
The current Jazz (or now the out going Jazz) was priced at Rs. 6 - 8.5 lac for Petrol and 7.35 - 9.3 lac for Diesel. So now the 2018 Jazz starts at 7.35 lac for petrol, i.e. 1.35 lac increase in the base model price !! or am I missing something here ?
The E & SV trims have been discontinued. Only 3 trims now - S(Diesel only), V & VX.

All refreshed diesel trims (S MT, V MT , VX MT) are cheaper than the outgoing ones.

All refreshed manual petrol trims (V MT, VX MT) are cheaper than the outgoing ones.

The refreshed CVT petrol trims (V CVT) is marginally dearer than the outgoing model.

The VX CVT is a new trim that has been introduced.
blackasta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
They have discontinued the E, S and SV models in petrol and E and SV models in diesel. So effectively, the V variant in petrol is the base model now (which was priced at 7.40L earlier).
nikipedia87 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Price of the new Jazz is same as the 2015 model (variant to variant). The only difference is that the two (base) variants have been done away with. Earlier the variants were E, S, SV, V, VCVT, VX and now we have only S, V, VCT, VXCVT.
feluda86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
That positioning of New Amaze and WR-V is a death knell for Jazz. If Honda kits up Jazz, then they loose sales on other two.

Also, their production capacity of 20K per month (correct me if I am wrong) might also be an indirect reason for maintaining inconsistency in the feature and variants spread across cars in their lineup. This way they can meet demand and maintain their premium position.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:20   #26
BHPian

Just a query friends : I have a 2017 V CVT model without cruise control. Can it be added now ? What could be the problems which I may face ?
Old 20th July 2018, 11:49   #27
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The E & SV trims have been discontinued. Only 3 trims now - S(Diesel only), V & VX.

All refreshed diesel trims (S MT, V MT , VX MT) are cheaper than the outgoing ones.

All refreshed manual petrol trims (V MT, VX MT) are cheaper than the outgoing ones.

The refreshed CVT petrol trims (V CVT) is marginally dearer than the outgoing model.

The VX CVT is a new trim that has been introduced.
Thanks for the details. I love how people start shooting their mouth off without any analysis whatsoever. Also, everyone knows there's a quality difference between Jazz and Baleno which are not comparable. Baleno is just a horrible cheap car which looks old in a few months. The omission of the facelift is a big problem though, and it will put off many buyers.
mxh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 12:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Ok, thanks for the clarification, noticed it just now. So now this should give good space to the Amaze between 5.5 to 7.5 lac band. I think middle and higher variants of Jazz were bringing bulk of the sale and so they would have decided to concentrate on that.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:58   #29
BHPian

Honda seems to be the most afraid-of-cannibalization car manufacturer in India. Jazz is an unique product that has been let down by the Honda think tank, thanks to fear of cannibalization?

1) Can't give a sunroof to Jazz as it might cannibalize WRV's sales.
2) Can't give 1.5 ivtec in any variant as it might cannibalize City.
3) Can't give diesel automatic as it might cannibalize Amaze which is a less premium car!

Ohh yes you can buy 1.5 ivtec in the BRV, but then you will have a speed limit!

Their 1.5 diesel is available across their cars because it is not able to do even a quarter of the sales when compared to the petrol counterpart.

Last edited by Waspune : 20th July 2018 at 13:00.
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 13:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

With the kind of prices Honda has kept for the Jazz, they may have missed a trick. With these levels of pricing, Honda, could have used the the 1.5L engine in the Jazz, loaded it up, positioned it as a top end petrol variant and sold it at ₹9.xxx lakhs ex-showroom. And created a credible rival to the Baleno RS, Polo GT TSi and the flamboyant Abarth Punto.
Incidentally even after the exemption from the "sub4m-1200cc" category, which the Jazz would have faced had it been strapped with the 1.5L petrol engine, the direct material cost addition to a 1.5L Jazz variant wouldn't have been much.
A lot of components are already shared between the 1.5L gasoline as found in the City's and BRV's and the addition of the Jazz would've upped the economies of scale further and given Honda a stronger platform to negotiate with its component suppliers. Also the present Jazz pricing is tilted very much towards a cost-plus structure and slight tweaks to that framework wouldn't have hurt the balance sheet much.
And the best bit is that: all Honda petrol engines are quite fuel efficient and chances are quite favourable that a bigger-engined-lighter-car would've turned in respectable figures at the "kitna deti hain?" stakes.

And I have a feeling, Honda would've succeeded. In creating a proper warm hatch out of the Jazz.

Aaaah-well! It's, I guess, another case of Team BHP proposes and OEM disposes scenario.

Last edited by arjab : 20th July 2018 at 13:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks