Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 08:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda Jazz launched at Rs. 7.35 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
+ Slightly better build quality and more usable boot space. You can actually take a wheelchair in Jazz but not in a Baleno. (Although I hope and wish that no one ever need to take it).
Also not to mention, the target segment in which jazz operates will definitely hesitate to touch a Baleno due to the safety concerns. I for example, was open to a Jazz but was sure that I will never touch a Baleno. Baleno gives you features like Bluetooth, sensors etc by compromising on safety which doesnt go well with a family kinda guy who needs a practice reliable car.
Old 17th August 2018, 09:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Also not to mention, the target segment in which jazz operates will definitely hesitate to touch a Baleno due to the safety concerns. I for example, was open to a Jazz but was sure that I will never touch a Baleno. Baleno gives you features like Bluetooth, sensors etc by compromising on safety which doesnt go well with a family kinda guy who needs a practice reliable car.
I'm sorry, but that's a sweeping generalization. I bought the Baleno alpha CVT for my toddler last July primarily because Jazz did not have ISOFIX tethers for child seats and the Baleno came with a host of convenient and practical features like keyless entry and black interiors for the purpose. And incidentally, i'm pretty happy so far - is serving its purpose with gusto and without rattles.

Last edited by d_himan : 17th August 2018 at 09:55.
d_himan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 09:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I'm sorry, but that's a sweeping generalization. I bought the Baleno alpha CVT for my toddler last July primarily because Jazz did not have ISOFIX tethers for child seats and the Baleno came with a host of convenient and pratctical features like keyless entry and black interiors for my purpose.
Both the companies Maruti as well as the current generation Honda are not very safe cars. Just by giving 2 air bags and isofix does not make a car safe. With every facelift both these companies are losing weight in the name of better mileage.
Look at the Germans, Polo at any given day isuch better than both. Their service is questionable but then with an informed buyer it will never be a problem.
Old 17th August 2018, 10:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Both the companies Maruti as well as the current generation Honda are not very safe cars. Just by giving 2 air bags and isofix does not make a car safe. With every facelift both these companies are losing weight in the name of better mileage.
Look at the Germans, Polo at any given day isuch better than both. Their service is questionable but then with an informed buyer it will never be a problem.
I have a Polo GT TSI too by the way. Yes, the plastics and the body sheet metal is thicker. But unfortunately, I'm not a qualified engineer to comment on safety in an accident and neither are Google searching car enthusiasts. For the 12 km 1 hour-each- way city commute the car sees, I'm absolutely fine. And anyway, a car with isofix is safer for an infant than a car without. That's why it's mandatory and our Govt may mandate it too.

Anyway, going OT.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 10:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This would be common across most AT cars I guess. They need to be shifted to P before locking.

Are they offering any deals on the CVT Jazz?
No deals on the new Jazz. But they have a couple of cars ready for delivery in stock. Unfortunately, the color of my choice is not available and shall be ordered, with a wait time of 2 weeks atleast.

Regarding the requirement of shifting to P before locking, my i10 allows locking / starting from both P and N. Was convenient in that way.

Here's the Kolkata pricelist attached:
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Honda Jazz launched at Rs. 7.35 lakh-1534482540871.jpg  

Old 17th August 2018, 14:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's a sweeping generalization. I bought the Baleno alpha CVT for my toddler last July primarily because Jazz did not have ISOFIX tethers for child seats and the Baleno came with a host of convenient and practical features like keyless entry and black interiors for the purpose. And incidentally, i'm pretty happy so far - is serving its purpose with gusto and without rattles.
Yes, but Maruti has done nothing to put to rest the questions raised on structural stability. Honda jazz doesn't raise those questions for me.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 14:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Polo GT TSI too by the way. Yes, the plastics and the body sheet metal is thicker. But unfortunately, I'm not a qualified engineer to comment on safety in an accident and neither are Google searching car enthusiasts. For the 12 km 1 hour-each- way city commute the car sees, I'm absolutely fine. And anyway, a car with isofix is safer for an infant than a car without. That's why it's mandatory and our Govt may mandate it too.

Anyway, going OT.
That is what we mean by informed buyers. You won't take a baleno/jazz to speeds which probably you cruise on your Polo.

Few cars are meant to be driven the way they should be. Isofix is indeed a must in every car and yes the Govt may make it a mandate soon.
Old 17th August 2018, 15:54   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both the companies Maruti as well as the current generation Honda are not very safe cars.

Look at the Germans, Polo at any given day isuch better than both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Honda jazz doesn't raise those questions for me.
Just looking at the facts we know -

Indian Polo is four star rated. Only Toyota and TATA have achieved a similar four star result. Best results that Indian versions of Honda, Renault and Ford has achieved is a three star result with Mobilio, Duster and Aspire respectively. Best Indian Maruti has achieved till now is a zero, even with the Swift.

Rest of the calculations are nothing but guess work, thanks to no proper evidence for the same.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 16:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just looking at the facts we know -

Indian Polo is four star rated. Only Toyota and TATA have achieved a similar four star result. Best results that Indian versions of Honda, Renault and Ford has achieved is a three star result with Mobilio, Duster and Aspire respectively. Best Indian Maruti has achieved till now is a zero, even with the Swift.

Rest of the calculations are nothing but guess work, thanks to no proper evidence for the same.
Personally I do not give a lot of weightage on what others feel or review about a car. The NCAP ratings are no different though they use some kind of proven testing to come up with stars to these cars.

It would not need an engineer to know that the cars manufactured by Maruti and Honda are lighter as compared to other cars like VW, Skoda and Renault. Test drive Jazz or Baleno and push it to a limit of 100-120 and you would realise the drop in confidence especially when you have to make a steep turn. People argue that these cars are not meant to be driven aggressively hence it sells to the masses who look for a hassle free ownership with a better value for money.
Old 17th August 2018, 17:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I do not give a lot of weightage on what others feel or review about a car. The NCAP ratings are no different though they use some kind of proven testing to come up with stars to these cars.
Then on what basis do you judge cars? You can't go about crashing every car to find out which is stronger. We have to rely on NCAP to find out which cars are structurally unsafe/unstable.

Quote:
It would not need an engineer to know that the cars manufactured by Maruti and Honda are lighter as compared to other cars like VW, Skoda and Renault. Test drive Jazz or Baleno and push it to a limit of 100-120 and you would realise the drop in confidence especially when you have to make a steep turn. People argue that these cars are not meant to be driven aggressively hence it sells to the masses who look for a hassle free ownership with a better value for money.
Lighter does not mean always mean that they are unsafe. We have had that debate too many times here.

A steep turn at 120? I doubt any car other than perhaps F1 cars can be safe in those conditions. I feel as safe in my Baleno at 100-120 as in my Rapid. Both are perfectly stable at those speeds.

And we are going OT.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 17th August 2018 at 17:39.
GeneralJazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 18:27   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Test drive Jazz or Baleno and push it to a limit of 100-120 and you would realise the drop in confidence especially when you have to make a steep turn.
Weight is bad (not the otherway around) for any car in such a scenario - but I do get your point. What really makes this difference around corners is the suspension tuning.

And the 'feeling' of safety - well, that can be very deceptive. Take the Scorpio for example.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 08:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
finance options and send someone for evaluation of my current car.
An evaluator from the dealership came to my office yesterday and did a thorough evaluation of my existing i10. He mentioned that he shall share the details with the SA and he shall get in touch with me for the offer & negotiation.

The dealer is offering finance @ 8.95% from Kotak.

Pinnacle Honda is actually giving me the impression that they are interested in selling the Jazz, which is nice !

Sidenote: The SA mentioned during the TD that Honda is prioritizing manufacturing the Amaze over all other models due to the heavy demand.
Old 24th August 2018, 00:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Pinnacle Honda is actually giving me the impression that they are interested in selling the Jazz, which is nice !
Booked the 2018 Jazz Petrol VX CVT on 22nd August. Details here.
Old 24th August 2018, 01:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

I am honestly happy to have a hatch with reliable automatic transmission and cruise control along with paddles, not counting the GT because of concerns over DSG and the smaller rear bench along with the trunk. It will be be a reliable companion all through its years and its packaging is unbeatable.

It justifies the price IMHO.
Sorry to tag you here sir, but the Polo DSG concerns are long gone. I have driven mine at 30k Kms with no issues.

Two things I was told by SA at first inspection:
1. Quality of fuel.
2. Excessive gear coasting.

I only fill good fuel and do not redline my car unnecessarily. The Jazz is priced very close to the Polo with an outdated engine, lack of magic seats and mostly features less comfort oriented such as folding ORVM which are quite useful.

Also the FTD factor in the Polo is unbeatable and a set of good seatcovers sets the comfort right.

Maybe you should TD the car and talk to a few owners apart from the usual complaining lot.

Cheers
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 09:20   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Sorry to tag you here sir, but the Polo DSG concerns are long gone. I have driven mine at 30k Kms with no issues.

Two things I was told by SA at first inspection:
1. Quality of fuel.
2. Excessive gear coasting.

Maybe you should TD the car and talk to a few owners apart from the usual complaining lot.

Quoting a post from the other thread

Quote:
There are several owners who have got the DSG units on their Polo TSIs replaced (some under warranty, some after paying over a lakh) even before the car has touched the 1L km mark. What reliability are we speaking of here?

As we speak, one BHPian's TSI is undergoing a DSG replacement. VW denied a goodwill replacement or even sharing part of the cost citing the OEM VW steering wheel with paddles he has installed!
I doubt if the troubles have become a thing of the past.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks