Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 22:57   #46
BHPian

Re: The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My Mazda 626 had front airvents that oscillated on pressing the 'swing' button.
Have not come across this feature in any other car.
That's quite advanced for the time.
The Lexus LFA and the LFLC also have this now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2018 at 07:42. Reason: Removing YouTube URL from the quoted post.
Old 20th July 2018, 23:24   #47
BHPian

Not sure if this is a Android Auto feature but I noticed this on the Ford Freestyle during a test drive. You can use the touch screen to redirect audio to any speaker of your choice. Audio from the rear only, front only, Front driver side speaker - especially helpful if kids are asleep in the backseat or extreme the co passenger does not want to hear a particular song of your choice .

All control with the single swipe on the screen. Very useful and one does not have to be a pro to setup/search audio settings.

Also definitely the ARP - Active Rollover Protection on the Ford Freestyle.
Darth_Vader is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 23:44   #48
BHPian

Some features which are present in Fluidic Verna (2013):

1. Always on illumination in tachometer.

2. Light adjustment Rheostat

3. Whenever key is taken out and driver's door is opened, headlamps and tail lamps go off irrespective of the stalk position.

4. Auto dimming rear view mirror which is a boon at night and after using it for a while, it sort of becomes a necessary feature.

5. 30 seconds delay for shutting windows.

6. Washable AC Cabin Filter, eco friendly as well as pocket friendly. Sadly, Hyundai replaced washable filter with replaceable one in newer generation models.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 01:03   #49
BHPian

Pardon me for my less knowledge on this area, as have spent limited time with most cars. Only got some cars to explore careful bits.

When it comes to features, Hyundai does break all records, but most of my favourite and nifty features are the ones on the VAG cars. Simply clever? The features most of the VAG cars (Polo/Vento/Rapid) come with are more nifty and aids productivity than the more gimmicky features popular among the public. And then some features from Hyundai and even Tata-Mahindra make the cut.

1. All 4 auto power up/down/anti pinch windows on Polo/Ameo/Vento/Rapid and upwards

2. All the features related to key on VAG cars. Specially the window roll up/down feature, memory lock. They are really nifty.

3. I'm not at all a fan of push button smart key systems. I like conventional key (rather the flippy keys) anyday over a smart key but the physical key is a must. I noticed on few cars that off late Tata (on Manza, CS, Tiago, Tigor, etc) and Mahindra (on Scorpio) started giving illuminated ring around keyfob. That's a really useful thing.

4. Follow-me-home headlamps. Such a useful feature, that is so much used up that it is less of a feature more of a necessity.

5. I think I saw a feature in Nexon having a dedicated rear view camera button as well, so that you can take a look backwards without engaging reverse gear.

6. The card/toll holder on Tiago/Tigor windshield and on Rapid dashboard. Wonder what material they use inside it that dashboard mounted card holder.

7. Trunk light/torch in higher Skodas

8. Fuel auto cut-off. Very necessary feature

9. Steering Rake and Reach adjustment (both and not single). Quite a blessing specially to people like me who come with non-standard sizes and shapes

10. Steering mounted controls, and specially that mute button. Still lot of manufacturers fail to provide this useful stuff.

I think this sums up most of the useful feature list according to me. Features are aplenty among us, but just like the looks of a car, features and their usability is also subjective.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 06:57   #50
BHPian

'Easy Fill tire alert' on Nissan cars is a really convenient, smartly designed feature. Some air filling stations at petrol pumps do have something similar. No need to second guess their accuracy. And in in case you are filling the tires yourself, no need to interrupt and check pressure multiple times.

AVIS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 07:33   #51
BANNED

I find myself agreeing with members who confess that they are not too impressed with all the push-button gizmos
& frills that most popular main stream cars seem to come with these days.

I felt that some of the more senior buffs would be relieved at the introduction of the AMT. For those with long-
distance-driving knee problems and budgetary constraints – like me - the cost of the standard TC AT maybe a
hindrance. While the AMT could provide just that window into the world of clutch-free motoring, as the Celerio
did at the time of its introduction.

And one could bolster one’s choice with the thought that this gadget – the AMT – was first introduced in performance
cars like the Lancia Delta Integrale (a WRC winner in its time) and the Ferrari Mondial of the 80’s-90’s.

Last edited by shashanka : 21st July 2018 at 07:35.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 09:08   #52
BHPian

A few from the two cars we own
Fiat Palio :-
1. All electronics are switched off once the key is taken out.
2. Fuel auto cut off in case of an accident in 2002
3. The front doors cannot be locked if the door is open
4. Double crank protection

Hyundai Verna:-
1. Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto
2. Power windows operate till a door is opened after turning off the engine
3. It has warning for all doors boot hood and even the sunroof
4. The folding mirrors operate regardless of the ignition position
5. Curve Guidance
6. Ventilated Seats
7. If the smart key is inside the car and any door is open the locks cannot be operated (if u lock any door it automatically unlocks same for central locking)
8. If any door is open and you use the request sensor it makes a long beep
9. When reversing the volume is reduced
10. Volume is remembered for all the different modes
11. Cornering lights
12. The instrument cluster has an ambient light sensor wich operates separately from the auto headlights i.e
If the headlights switch on automatically in the evening the cluster remains in its daytime mode as soon as it gets darker the cluster brightness lowers independently
13. After 30mins of locking the car the battery supply to all lights and electronics is cut off
14. If the headlights are in the on position the position lights and taillights stay on for 10 mins after leaving the car then they are turned off automatically
Anirudh_sai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 10:56   #53
BHPian

Very interesting thread, which highlights some of the most innovative features of some cars which we are not aware of.

I am not sure how many cars has this feature but in XUV with front wipers on as soon as we engage the reverse gear it activates the rear wipers till the time rear gear is not disengaged.

Even the follow me home headlamps is dependent to the auto light sensor and works only in low light conditions.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 10:59   #54
AAD
BHPian

My Maruti Van (now Omni) also had Vents both for the driver and the co passenger which could be shut when not needed. And they only let in air and not water, unlike the vent in the Jeep, which could possibly let in some rain.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 12:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
On my Jaguar when I put it in reverse, the right outside mirror (this is a left hand drive) tilts downwards, so you can see the curb and your right rear wheel.
This is a standard feature in the Bimmers as well. Just that your ORVM switch has to be set to the other side mirror, for example in India if it is positioned at right mirror, the left mirror will automatically focus on the kerb when you reverse; if you position it to the left mirror, it will disable this feature.

Some of them in the 3-Series:
• When you want to change the music track, as you roll the control on the steering wheel, the small display in the dial console shows the track name, so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road to see the iDrive. Of course, this is now improved with HUD.
• The auto start-stop in EcoPro mode listens to the sensors from the steering wheel. So if you move the steering just a bit, the car starts again – very useful when you don’t want to change the feet position.
• The mechanical key can be removed from the car remote – so you can lock the valuables in the glove when you hand it over to valet. I wish it had a sensor that disabled the modes in the car and limited the car speed to circa 20 km/hr.
Also, the remote in the Bimmer has memory in it that carries car stats. So BMW service can ascertain if it needs service or not by reading the key. Very useful when you have a driver, just send it with him on a two-wheeler.

On the Laura
• Deadlock. You have to lock the car twice to disable deadlock.
• How unlock button sequentially unlocks the passenger doors. Very useful when you park in secluded places.
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 12:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post

I am not sure how many cars has this feature but in XUV with front wipers on as soon as we engage the reverse gear it activates the rear wipers till the time rear gear is not disengaged.
Has been on the Vista since inception. I'm guessing the newer range has it too.
Old 21st July 2018, 12:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Chevrolet Tavera - AC vent below steering wheel to cool down the area between legs.
Seriously?? That's clever indeed!

Guess you have to drive in a lungi to make full use of the feature though!

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 21st July 2018 at 13:21.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 12:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here's one that I found in the Octavia (DSG): if you try to drive the car when the driver's door is not properly closed, the car gives a loud warning beep and MID flashes the message "Move the drive selector to P".
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 13:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
This feature was there in our 89 and 91 model omni's too. Instead of a flap there used to be a small sliding window in either of the footwells for fresh air. Not sure if that's available in current crop of omni's.
This feature is also present in our Omni (99 model). The current gen Omni (type iii), which was launched in 05 doesn't have this feature. As a kid I was simply fascinated by this feature, I believed this was the AC system of our Omni & to me it felt more high tech than the blower of our family's 97 M800 STD. Whenever we went for a drive I used to make sure that this flap/window was open (& closed after we returned home). Even today the first thing I do after cranking the engine is open these flaps/windows. Speaking from a practical point of view, these do help in ventilation especially while moving at medium/high speed. I wonder why Maruti removed this useful feature from the newer Omnis.

Here is a photo of the flap/window:

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-omni-flap.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 13:48   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I wonder why Maruti removed this useful feature from the newer Omnis.
The newer Omnis have this type of hole for ventilation.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-20180619_104437.jpg

PS: Pardon the funny looking Omni
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks