Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:58   #16
elf
BANNED

This is happy-surprising-sad news...

Happy & surprising because it's great that Maruti are getting on stream like most automobile majors & actually replacing models instead of running the old ones parallel to the new.

Sad because the Baleno, though ugly, was one of the best built Marutis ever produced & a great performance car in India. Also sad if the new model's going to go the OHC/NHC way & become a frumpy pseudo-luxury set of wheels. Don't think the added weight or pricing's going to do any good for it's intended market.
Old 26th January 2007, 08:59   #17
BHPian

New Baleno replacement with Diesel - Maruti to become a leader in Diesel?

Maruti to follow up Baleno’s exit with A3 platform recast

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2007 04:01:02 AM]

PUNE: Maruti Udyog Ltd (MUL) will launch a completely new platform for the A 3 segment, from which it has now phased out the Baleno. The new offering, expected to be in the market by mid-07, will have a diesel variant in addition to the petrol model, making this the second diesel model from MUL. Maruti is currently launching its Swift diesel engine car across the country.

Company officials confirmed that MUL has stopped imports of kits from which it used to assemble the Baleno, with the last of these cars now in dealer showrooms.

Auto industry sources maintained that work on the new platform for an A3 model began seven to eight months ago, fitted with a 1580 cc (1.58 litre) diesel engine. The Baleno has a 1.5-litre petrol engine. These sources added that the name for this car has not yet been finalised, with internal debates are believed to be on over using the Baleno name.

MUL has maintained that its diesel engine plant at Manesar, Suzuki Powertrain India Ltd (SPIL), a joint venture between MUL and parent Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC), is the only diesel engine plant in Suzuki’s global operations. With diesel cars having outsold petrol cars, for the first time, in Europe, an absence in the diesel engine segment would have an adverse for Suzuki. Hence also its aggressive ramp up, from 1 lakh engines per annum to 3 lakh engines per annum, with an investment of Rs 2500 crore till 2010.

Speaking at the launch of the Swift diesel with a 1.3-litre engine manufactured under a technical licence agreement with Fiat and Adam Opel, MUL chief general manager Rajesh Uppal said exports of the engine will happen after production stabilises. This is expected to happen in another six months, he said.

On alternate fuels, Mr Uppal said the CNG-powered Wagon R has a waiting period of close to 45 days. “We are selling 2-3,000 a month of the Wagon R running on LPG, with the car doing an overall sales of 12,000 per month,” Mr Uppal said.
Old 26th January 2007, 10:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

a 1.6l diesel engine? So that means atleast 90bhp
Old 26th January 2007, 11:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
“We are selling 2-3,000 a month of the Wagon R running on LPG, with the car doing an overall sales of 12,000 per month,” Mr Uppal said.
So...

i just cant stop wondering how agressive MAruti has become...

December sales show that WagonR beats Santro to sales (WR- 9807 Santro- 9663), while the estilo sold around 6000 units...

Estilo took sales from both wagonR and Santro... But, Santro lost near to 3933 units, while wagonR lost only 1898 units... Overall, Maruti stands to gain...

I wonder what A baleno diesel could do the rest in the segment... (fiesta, aveo, verna, and most importantly NHC)
Old 26th January 2007, 12:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm could we have another situation like the Verna where the diesel is faster than the Petrol engine? What is this world coming to sheesh.... No respect for us petrolheads anymore.
Old 26th January 2007, 12:26   #21
Team-BHP Support

was in bangalore fora few days recently, and the RNS motors head honcho apparently has brochures of the new baleno and the 800, too bad i couldn't take some time out for this while i was there.

manson.
Old 26th January 2007, 12:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
was in bangalore fora few days recently, and the RNS motors head honcho apparently has brochures of the new baleno and the 800, too bad i couldn't take some time out for this while i was there.

manson.

Is it, brochures of new baleno and brochores of the new 800??

or brochures and new baleno, and brochures of current 800????
Old 26th January 2007, 14:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

brochures of both, brochures he said, i m assuming some pictures etc

manson.
Old 28th January 2007, 00:11   #24
BHPian

sad to hear the balenos demise....and glad to know theres a news one comin back!!
Old 28th January 2007, 00:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
sad to hear the balenos demise....and glad to know theres a news one comin back!!
Now everybody will become senti for OMB (Old Maruti Baleno) and will sing praises for it just like OHC (Old Honda City) was praised after it was picked up from the market.

Recently got a chance to sit it OMB again !!! I must say it appeared to be like my baby !!! Solid Build but old design, but so what ? eh ???

Why doesn't Maruti mods the Baleno like the below and make it hotter than the new Baleno ?

Really sad to see it go away ! It still has all the essence and the guts to frighten all Fords, Hondas, Aveos and Logans, if just modded properly with new interiors.
Old 28th January 2007, 01:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

AM surely gonna miss those classy old body style , I mean Long hood and short overhang . So I guess its going to loose its cult status (Indian). Its going to be another O ----> N. The new one looks practical but surely not aggressive enough to get our hearts racing . In short good old days are over . I hate these cab forward designs but i guess lack of space has started creeping in even a designers brain .
Old 28th January 2007, 03:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Elf think about the brighter side, ull be able to buy a pre owned baleno cheaper that what u get now(more price bashing!!)..mmm music to my wallet's ears. Just thinking of this is makin me smile from
(h)ear to here!!
Old 28th January 2007, 07:23   #28

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

relax tbhpians....all of you have already assumed that the new baleno is going the nhc way.you never know what maruti might be planning.since its going to be competing against the optra and corolla as mentioned in one of the previous posts,i would think maruti would source a 1.8 petrol engine.and since they are designing the car from scratch i see no reason why they would want to keep the current engine.at that price i dont think maruti will again gamble with old wine in a new bottle thingy,as consumers would not like the idea of the same engine powering a much more epensive car.just my 2 cents.
Old 28th January 2007, 13:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Auto industry sources maintained that work on the new platform for an A3 model began seven to eight months ago, fitted with a 1580 cc (1.58 litre) diesel engine.
A 1.6L diesel engine? Which engine is this?
Old 28th January 2007, 20:08   #30
BHPian

what is the point of replacing a 5.5 lakh vehicle with a 8 L vehicle? They might as well co-exist?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks