Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 17:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

Most car buyers are not aware of any rules and criteria. They just look at an award winner with respect and put down the money.

The point here is simple. Most members here smell a rat, that is reflected in the comments. None of us really know whether U-VA really deserves it. But we all highly doubt it based on the MO, history of the company, and most of all the competition. Call it gut feeling.
Old 31st December 2006, 18:40   #47
BHPian

Safety ratings or U-VA?

Wasnt CHEVROLET KALOS rated below par in the Euro NCAP ratings? It is there on euroncap.com under super mini category.

But BSM's report sounds reasonable (of course they must have expected this reaction): U-VA scored steadily on all counts to emerge as a surprise winner, in their own words. And till one drives it, it is tough to conclude that the car didnt deserve to win.
Old 31st December 2006, 21:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

isn't this the first time we are going to see a car being adjudged as the COTY even before the automag adjudging it so has even posted a driving impression (first drive) of the same!

Ridiculous! Whats the official 0-100 of the car? Whats the FE in city or highway. Probably no one knows till now, but what they will be told is that this freshly hatched duckling is the car the whole year produced best!! Gosh, the GM guys dont even have a proper test drive car here!!

I am sure if I was offered a test drive, I would have found the Estilo more entertaining to drive, lighter on the wallet and supported by Maruti service network as against the abbreviation for Good Morning (when you say that you really havn't seen the day!). The only deficit would have been the fact that it is a lower segment car.

Now all the contestants in the Swift segment have won a Coty sometime or the other, so now, what will the buyer choose?
Old 1st January 2007, 10:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I am sure if I was offered a test drive, I would have found the Estilo more entertaining to drive
I've driven both, and the U-VA is the better of the two.

Drifter
Old 1st January 2007, 12:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the involvement of money, I would like to say that I'd save some in 2007. I am not renewing my BSM subscription.

I have nothing to say against the U-VA, I haven't seen it yet, and I dont think I will see many either. But the award is something like giving the 'Best picture' award for an unreleased movie...
Old 1st January 2007, 12:07   #51
BHPian

Smelling a rat , either existent or non existent is an individuals privilege....so conspiracy theories will be around..I dont think manufacturers will introduce new models only in JAn - feb , so that auto mags have full year to evaluate and give them awards.

Does any one rememeber how Fiat UNO was sold as the winner of european car of the year award in India , years AFTER it was discontinued in Europe?

It didnt really shake the market..nor will U VA , if it does not have some intrinsic strengths.
Old 1st January 2007, 12:52   #52
BHPian

Just checked BSM's site and saw this month's contents. It seems that they have driven the car

2007 - January 2007 - Business Standard Motoring

Story: "U-VA rays the game"

And the awards aren't in the issue so my guess is they are for the next, i.e. February. So technically they are correct, they have driven (as in first impression/road test) the car before the awards. We need to give them the benefit of doubt as it is known that they drive and evaluate the cars in the last week of December. All magazines get to evaluate cars a few days before it is launched, so they might have done the same too. Let's pick up the Jan issue and see what they have to say.

Squid
Old 1st January 2007, 15:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

You are right Squid, any award won't be given without checking, BSM has tested it and also other cars launched in 2006 and since UVA scored more points its the winner.

However I am sure there is always fishy stuff when some thing gets award like how Swift bagged award last year although it has few -ve aspects.

UVA has less -ve aspects than what Swift has (time will tell any person who will ask me what are -ve aspects of Swift, UVA I won't answer right now about it) I felt UVA is good package for sure.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st January 2007, 16:50   #54
BHPian

I thought that car companies showered favours on auto mag correspondents/editors in order to get positive reviews. But didn't know awards such as these are rigged and that also blatantly in exchange for monetary benefits. This is really sad. Anyways I don't believe everything that auto mags publish. They always rave about new cars, even if their negative aspects outweigh their positive ones. The most important thing that they miss out is spare-parts and servicing. The costs associated with these are never mentioned. Most foreign car-makers have relatively expensive spare parts and servicing-related expenses.
Old 1st January 2007, 17:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post

You folks do realise that ALL of these awards are rigged. Its very simple. There are fixed costs of "buying" such an award. Such cost is built into the advertising and promotion budgets long before the award ever happens. Honda doesnt need to buy it for the Civic. They couldnt care less at this time. GM does need it for their new launch, the U-VA. Just like Fiat did for the Palio in 2002, Mahindra did for the Scorpio in 2003 and so on... its a sales tool...
Interesting fact Gunbir ! But dont u think Palio is one of the better made small cars to have released in India uptill now ? Again just an opinion from my side.
Old 1st January 2007, 18:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I am sure if I was offered a test drive, I would have found the Estilo more entertaining to drive, lighter on the wallet and supported by Maruti service network as against the abbreviation for Good Morning (when you say that you really havn't seen the day!). The only deficit would have been the fact that it is a lower segment car.
I dont know what u mean by an entertaining drive . As far as am concerned parameters are :
  1. Gear shift
  2. Handling
  3. Brakes
  4. Acceleration
And from what I felt Estilo outright s**ks as far as gearshift is concerened , I guess a trax can do better . I dont know about the rest but am sure that its never going to challenge the real zen. Its for the mass and not for a purist driver.

Last edited by maxbhp : 1st January 2007 at 18:14.
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:00   #57
BHPian

I checked out Aveo-UVA yesterday. It is more spacious compared to Swift. More leg space and boot is also bigger compared to Swift. The interiors were dull grey. It does seem like a good package. The dealers didn't have a brochure or detailed pricelist. They say they are going to get it only on 9th Jan. The comparable version of Aveo-UVA to Swift Vxi will cost 40 to 50K more. Swift wins on Power, Torque and ***. UVA on Space. Mileage claimed by dealers is 12 with AC in Blore. UVA has good ground clearance, the tilt stearing is good bonus too. Btw, I had booked Swift last week before the launch on UVA. Went in to check if I need to cancel the booking.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:03   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Somethings dont require an experience to pass a judgement on. Just go back and read the mushy flowery BSMotoring verdict on the GM hatch and it will be blaringly evident of what "transaction" has taken place. Between BS and GM. The 1.2 liter engine is neither peppy (quite the opposite actually) nor is the car a match for the Swift, Getz or even the Palio 1.6.

YES! I have driven the UV-A yesterday and can tell you that it is a good hatch but not outstanding in any single way. For an award of this stature to be awarded to a car, I would presume that the reciepient is:

1. Fabulous value for money OR
2. An outstanding overall package OR
3. A technological leader OR
4. A cutting edge design OR
5. You get the jist.

While the UV-A is a decent hatch, it is certainly not superior to its competitors. Any senior-marketing professional can view this situation and take a good guess at who has been "made happy" with the award. Such a regular hatch winning the car of the year....LOL! The writings on the wall.
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

This is not the first time an auto-mag is promoting a product,autocarindia's limca book of record mileage figures was once such stunt,overdrives extraordinary mileage figures of the NHC,the list could go on.

Auto-Mags have always helped in creating a buzz about a certain product and if team-bhp reactions are anything to go by then GM & BS too have succeded in their venture,now only time can tell whether U-VA will do justice to this tag .
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:44   #60
BHPian

Here are my viewpoints -

- How do you expect OWNERSHIP RELIABILITY to be a criteria in such awards ??? bcoz if thats included then these awards would be titled - car award for the year 2006 decided in 2011. These awards simply rate the product (car) and thats it.

- Although i own a Chevy but without any bias I can say with all the guts that Fiat Palio is still the best car overall in this category. Thats my opinion.

- Moreover the last episode of Car and Bike show at NDTV Profit showed the test drive of Aveo UVA and they were impressed with the car.
What i am trying to say here is that if you dont see Aveo UVA on road then it does not necessarily mean that these auto journalists cant have a hand at one. Its been launched but deliveries are going to start in the first week of January'07.

- Lastly, Maruti kuch bhi banaye bikta hai so it hardly matters if its Swift or S..T and reaons for this are well known.

Cheers for the New Year 2007 !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed