Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2006, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Too bad Mahindra-Renault didn't realise what needs to be done to get this BS COTY or they could have easily had the Logan win the award!
heh heh yeah right,guess mahindra still has a lot of learning the ropes when it comes to 'managing' the press
Old 30th December 2006, 17:16   #17
BHPian

I think it gives a biased feeling because it has been launched a week back. But BS parameters would have have been same even if it was launched 6 months back. So they tested the cars as per thier parameters even if UVA is still to be seen on roads and reviewed by general public. Many cars in the past faired well on such parameters but failed to click with people.
Old 30th December 2006, 17:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
heh heh yeah right,guess mahindra still has a lot of learning the ropes when it comes to 'managing' the press
Oh rest assured Mahindra are old experts at "MANAGING" the press. They managed it brilliantly with the Scorpio I can tell you that much!
Old 30th December 2006, 17:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Oh rest assured Mahindra are old experts at "MANAGING" the press. They managed it brilliantly with the Scorpio I can tell you that much!
I am in absolute agreement with iraghava . BTW has the logan been launched officially. I can see u-va under GM in indiacar.com, but no logan. If it has not been launched then ...
Old 30th December 2006, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
The Business Standard Motoring rating system is designed to reward cars that are affordable and fuel efficient, keeping the larger mass of Indian buyers in mind. Only all-new cars that were launched in calendar year 2006 were eligible for the 2007 awards.
If you see their criterion for rating the Car, Aveo U-VA certainly scores higher than the other Cars in the fray. Especially on the price front.
GM surely learnt a lesson or two from the blunder it commited on Corsa Sail.

Last edited by finneyp : 30th December 2006 at 18:51.
Old 30th December 2006, 18:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

And I thought BS was fiarly unbiased :(
Old 30th December 2006, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
And I thought BS was fiarly unbiased :(
No auto mag in India and I mean NO one is unbiased. To give you an example apart from the usual free cars, foreign trips etc. there are some Chief Editors of auto mags who are consultants to manufacturers making a handsome income on the side. If this is not conflict of Interest what is?
Old 30th December 2006, 19:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thats right msdivy, based on test conducted BS M UVA scored more points and hence its winner. UVA is good car for sure much better than Swift, Getz, Palio, Its big on space, FE, ride comfort in its class. Engine reliability we can't predict now since its too early. Its look is quiet good as well. So it has won. Its officially launched few days back thats true but BS M has tested it with other car being launched in 2006. UVA scored better point mainly because it deserves it according to me.

Like you can't find nothing wrong with toyota cars I am sure UVA is the car you can find everything practical. I personally feel UVA is overpriced
by at least INR 25,000 otherwise it great package in its class.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th December 2006, 20:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Easy guys. The article tells that a jury tested the following cars (criteria: newly launched in 2006)
  • Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia
  • Chevrolet Aveo
  • Hyundai Verna 1.6 and 1.5 CRDi
  • Honda Civic
  • Chevrolet Aveo U-VA
and Aveo-UA got more points and hence it is the winner. It also say Civic scored heavily but lost out on price.
Quotes from article:
"(Civic's) Rs 11.29 lakh ex-showroom is way too off the price paid by the average Indian car buyer".
"The secret is that the U-VA did consistently well in all the parameters without emerging too strong in any single one."

Lets wait and see how the car performs on road and how the Indian car buyers receive it.

If Civic was heavily overpriced... How come it sells three times that of corolla???

And... to quote them 'the jury was not overtly impressed'... Still aveo got most points???

Anyway... I believe Civic deserved the title, much more than Aveo... As someone pointed out, this is 'GM give us some money'

The BSM jury award is for the Civic... The jury says 'Civic deserved car of the year, and deservedly so'... Seems it was not the jury who awarded the Aveo ... he he

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th December 2006 at 20:13.
Old 30th December 2006, 22:33   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
UVA is good car for sure much better than Swift, Getz, Palio, Its big on space, FE, ride comfort in its class.
I'd reserve such praise on the GM hatch until properly test-driving it. And having some actual owner reports. Its much too early for these statements.
Old 30th December 2006, 22:54   #26
BHPian

This story is a very good reason on why not to buy BS magazines and take into consideration their reports from elsewhere.....

Its a New Year joke.....
Old 30th December 2006, 23:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Umm..completely off-topic here, but whatever happened to the ICOTY award like last year? When there was a combined press jury?
Old 30th December 2006, 23:50   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
UVA is good car for sure much better than Swift, Getz, Palio, Its big on space, FE, ride comfort in its class. Engine reliability we can't predict now since its too early. Its look is quiet good as well. So it has won. Its officially launched few days back thats true but BSM has tested it with other car being launched in 2006. UVA scored better point mainly because it deserves it according to me.

How do you know its got better ride comfort and FE???

And how can you conclude its better than Swift, palio and Getz without seeing or driving the car for some time???
Old 30th December 2006, 23:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Have driven the U-VA. Overall its a good car with good build, ride is good, its spacious....

But whoever told BSM that its peppy is...........wrong! You need to pull the motor hard to extract any of the horses. But in the city you won't notice the power deficit, only on the highway does the it become apparent.

Personally i liked it better than the Estilo.

Drifter
Old 31st December 2006, 01:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the BS motoring car of the year...... It looks quite biased...but has anyone here actually test driven the car ?? Until you have, you dont have a right to pass judgement on BS Motoring's verdict.

And abt the timing, well, everywhere across the world, the same rules are followed. For a car to be named COTY 2007, it has to be launched in 2006. The BS motoring people didnt make it up.

And abt the ICOTY (the combined verdict), it will be revealed in Jan....my dad got two passes for it. Jan 12th I guess...not sure.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks