Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 07:48   #31
BHPian

What? COTY is a Daewoo?

Incredible! How can I start thinking that Kalos which is a lousy and cheapest car available here is the COTY in India?!! After taking over Daewoo, Chevy might have done a miracle to improve the quality of the car or...

only in India this can happen...
Old 31st December 2006, 09:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

UVA is good package in comparision with other cars in its class in terms of build quality, inside space (except for its tiny boot...), ride comfort. Well Known source have told its FE (12 to 14kmpl in city driving conditions) is also class leading however I don't know whats the actual FE it gives. Car is supposed to be super silent like Getz.

UVA is expected to hit Bangalore roads by 2nd week of Jan 2007.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 31st December 2006, 12:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats so sad.

I actually thought BSM was one of the few mag's run my car fanatics unlike many who are totally biased in giving out opinions . After reading someone's post I was almost convinced and in a way happy that we have a Indian mag who can battle out with the angreezi ones . Sadly this desi one is also going the ungracy oops...... I mean angreezi way !
Old 31st December 2006, 13:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
UVA is good car for sure much better than Swift, Getz, Palio, Its big on space, FE, ride comfort in its class. UVA scored better point mainly because it deserves it according to me.
Had asked before... But... No replies???

How come you can conclude U-VA is better than Swift, Getz and palio... Did you drive it???

How do you know its better in ride comfort???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
UVA is good package in comparision with other cars in its class in terms of build quality, inside space (except for its tiny boot...), ride comfort. Well Known source have told its FE (12 to 14kmpl in city driving conditions) is also class leading however I don't know whats the actual FE it gives. Car is supposed to be super silent like Getz.
Supposed to be super- silent??? And how come, its build quality is known even beofre the car is out???

Please dont conclude anything, before getting to know the car...
Old 31st December 2006, 13:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
2006: Maruti Suzuki Swift
2005: Hyundai Getz
2004: Honda City
2003: Mahindra Scorpio
2002: Fiat Palio
You folks do realise that ALL of these awards are rigged. Its very simple. There are fixed costs of "buying" such an award. Such cost is built into the advertising and promotion budgets long before the award ever happens. Honda doesnt need to buy it for the Civic. They couldnt care less at this time. GM does need it for their new launch, the U-VA. Just like Fiat did for the Palio in 2002, Mahindra did for the Scorpio in 2003 and so on... its a sales tool...

So does it help sales. Yes, it does. The average person (read: non-motor-enthusiast) takes the printed word very seriously and a lot of upper MIG are going to buy the UV-A. Will it sell as much as the Swift? Hell No. Will it better the Getz in terms of overall build quality. No (from what I've seen on the overpriced SRV). Will the "auto-educated" indian buyer lap it up in big numbers... awards or not... I seriously doubt it.
Old 31st December 2006, 15:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

no one answered my question.....how many people here passing judgements so freely have actually test driven the car for an extended period of time in the city peak hour traffic, on the highway and through empty twisted roads ??

Everyone is talking as if they are all experts.....

I am not against you guys nor am I supporting BS Motoring. Just that if you havent driven the car, you have no right to criticise someone else's decision...

If someone has driven the car, please post a new thread on t-bhp in the test drive section.
Old 31st December 2006, 15:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

check post 31

Drifter
Old 31st December 2006, 15:16   #38
BHPian

even we (the xbhp guys) arent happy with bsm giving the bike of the year award to cbz-xtreme (see the topic link - xBhp | India On Two Wheels : Supported by Castrol Power1) ..something fishy? hmmm

My personal choices would have been the civic or the new zen
Old 31st December 2006, 15:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
If someone has driven the car, please post a new thread on t-bhp in the test drive section.
Also check thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...olet-u-va.html

Drifter
Old 31st December 2006, 15:50   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Drifter. Nice write up.

Out of 40 replies in this thread, you *seem* to be the only one to have driven the car. I want to know abt the others.

I have nothing against anyone. I am just surprised that reputed members of such a nice forum are talking like this without any evidence. That is why I am asking members who have driven the U-VA to post here..... I want to know if it is really such a bad car that so many members criticise it.
Old 31st December 2006, 15:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Its not a bad car at all....even i don't understand the criticism about BSM. If their awards have affordability as their selection criteria, then the race was between the Estilo and U-VA. I have driven the Estilo and U-VA back to back, the U-VA is the better car out of the two!

Drifter
Old 31st December 2006, 16:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

UVA is available right now in only few big cities like delhi/mumbai.. I do agree after TDriving it one can tell about it, I have not driven it yet.

I posted my reply based on what I heard from known source. Swift might be class leading in some aspects as value for buy car for Indian conditions.

But UVA has more class leading features compared with its compitetion.

However GM is not known for peppy engine, not so good service, not good resale value either.

If someone think positively UVA is good car else you can start saying lot of -ve comments about it.

Also its too early to tell about UVA with confidence. It might not sell well but its good car for sure.

If it gains market share/presence according to me its good car.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 31st December 2006, 16:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
I have nothing against anyone. I am just surprised that reputed members of such a nice forum are talking like this without any evidence. That is why I am asking members who have driven the U-VA to post here..... I want to know if it is really such a bad car that so many members criticise it.
Before you go righteous on everybody here, please read the comments again.

Nobody is saying Aveo U-VA is a bad car, the comments are not against the car. The comments are against the BSM guys who award the COTY to a car barely released, and that too after a test drive. Many Team-BHPians here are auto industry watchers for decades. When a new car is released just in time to make the award deadline and goes on to win it, one can smell a cat. We are all questioning the motive of BSM in picking a car that is unproven in the field. For your information, no new product is considered good unless it is proven in field, let alone considered best.

What if they find lots of quality problems in U-VA say in the next 3 months? Behind which wall BSM guys will hide then? Their reputation will be in the dump then.

Team-BHPians are questioning the motive of BSM, one doesn't have to test drive the car to question that.
Old 31st December 2006, 16:39   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

COTY awards are rarely given based on how reliable a car is in the long run or on the resale value.

Even in Europe, the cars which are just released go on to win the award and then sell.....

Looks like you dont agree with the rules which say that a car has to be launched. Doesnt matter if it is available for the public to buy or not. That is a valid point too.

But all over thw world, this is how it is done. Why single out BS motoring for it ??

It so happened that the other cars in the fray were released much before the U-VA (with the exception of the Estilo I guess ).
Old 31st December 2006, 16:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We are all questioning the motive of BSM in picking a car that is unproven in the field. For your information, no new product is considered good unless it is proven in field, let alone considered best.

What if they find lots of quality problems in U-VA say in the next 3 months?
Long term reliability was never a criterion for BSM COTY awards..not earlier , not now

Example,,Fiat Palio , awarded COTY in 2002 is not exactly a paragon of bulletproof reliability

The car has to pass through a set of pre determioned parameters..long term reliability or quality is not one of them..none of the tested cars are extensivley driven for this award.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed