Team-BHP - Rumour: Hyundai to phase out Eon by Dec '18
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Hyundai to phase out Eon by Dec '18 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/200491-rumour-hyundai-phase-out-eon-dec-18-a.html)

Read a report in Hindustan Times and found this online.

With the Santro coming back and Grand i10 doing well on the "premium" end of the spectrum, the Eon doesn't really have much of a value proposition. Hyundai would want to give Santro every piece of the pie than have Eon cannibalize it. The crash test norms and BS-VI requirements seem to be the other contributing reasons.

Quote:

Korean automaker, Hyundai will soon launch an all-new hatchback – codenamed AH2 – in the Indian market during festive season, Diwali. The vehicle has already been spotted multiple times during test rounds on Indian soil. It is expected that the new model will mark the re-entry of Santro nameplate in India. The new model will be positioned between the Eon and Grand i10, in terms of pricing and size.
Quote:

It is expected that the Hyundai Eon will eventually phase out from the market in 2019. The government will soon introduce the crash test norms in India, and the Eon entry-level car is not likely to meet the stringent crash norms.
https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/sa...ace-eon-26960/

The best quality entry level hatchback - though turned into an example of how conservative Indians are when it comes to design, specially in the entry level segments. Hyundai missed it completely whereas Renault hit it home with the Kwid.

The upcoming Santro looks like a safer bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4437038)
The best quality entry level hatchback - though turned into an example of how conservative Indians are when it comes to design, specially in the entry level segments. Hyundai missed it completely whereas Renault hit it home with the Kwid.

Well, Eon's sales of 4,000 units per month is not too shabby. Also, Eon variants are Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000 more expensive (on road) than Alto and Kwid. So its basically the price, and not the design.

Where Hyundai missed out is not having an AMT variant

I remember test driving the Eon in 2015 for my BIL and I was blown away with the quality of interiors. Having seen what the peers had to offer, I was surprised people were not queuing up for Eon. The engine was undoubtedly very weak but I am guessing we did not exactly have hot hatches from peers.

Unfortunately, once an initial product launch fails to capture the fancy of public at larger then subsequent variants seldom get the product back on track. Therefore, I doubt an AMT later on would have reignited the sales.

About time. With SANTRO coming in 'HOT' it barely makes any sense to dedicate assembly space for EON anymore. The word-of-mouth on SANTRO is already there in the market and I can see a huge number of potential customers waiting to sign the dotted line who own the older SANTRO and swear by the reliability. That base itself will make for a good number of buyers. All Hyundai has to do is stick to their USP : Quality interiors, decent build & ofcourse now an AT offering. With these in place there's no stopping it from gaining back its share. agree:

With CRETA, i20, and Grand i10 doing great in their respective segments its about time Hyundai takes back its share in the entry level segment. :thumbs up

Even VERNA is doing decent now. So Hyundai is going segment by segment refreshing its portfolio and gaining on market share. I guess EON is the only laggard(by Hyundai standards) currently from the firm under 15L and SANTRO has all the potential to change that.

I have sat in Eon on one occasion and it felt very premium for an entry level car.

Cabin space, boot space, fit and finish were at par with my 1st generation i10, which is a segment higher.

I feel that there is still space for this car, at least in the 800cc segment. The 1L model would be phase out for obvious reasons, once the Santro is launched.

Rohan

I think the news outlets are basically putting 2 + 2 together.

- The Eon is now 7 years old, which fits the 5 - 7 year time frame for a generation change. The Eon is also Hyundai's oldest car on sale today.

- New Santro coming in.

If Hyundai can spare the production capacity, they should definitely keep it running. 4,500 sales / month is awesome for their oldest product. But then, Hyundai did discontinue the old Santro when it was also selling 4k / month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4437069)
Eon variants are Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000 more expensive (on road) than Alto and Kwid. So its basically the price, and not the design.

Design too, as admitted by a Hyundai senior dude. He said it was too radical (at the time) for the conservative entry-level car customer.

Even if the Eon can survive alongside the new Santro, I'd think phasing the Eon out is a good idea.

Hyundai should not follow the Maruti mantra of keeping all the models, old or new and having them sell alongside each other. It will work only for Maruti and its massive fan-base.

Hyundai should follow the mantra "out with the old and in with the new". The future lineup will be perfect.. one entry hatch Santro, one all-rounder family hatch Grand i10, one luxury hatch i20, C segment Verna, D Segment Elantra and a family UV Creta, SUV Tucson. They needn't bother with the sub 4m UV (although they will bring it in next year) and executive cars (Sonata), they should leave those 2 in the capable hands of Kia with the Soul and Optima.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 4438154)
Hyundai should not follow the Maruti mantra of keeping all the models, old or new and having them sell alongside each other. It will work only for Maruti and its massive fan-base.

Actually, Hyundai has done so and rather succeeded at it.

The global 2nd gen i10 is sold as Grand i10 in India, alongside the i10 (which was only recently discontinued).

The 3rd gen Verna (called Accent in India) was sold alongside the 4th gen Verna with an overlap of a few years.

Hyundai seems to have phased out the EON, does single digit ( 1) dispatch to a dealer in Nov-18.:). This is the second consecutive month of single digit dispatch of Eon.

Source: Auto Punditz

Rumour: Hyundai Eon discontinued

According to a media report, Hyundai has discontinued the Eon in India. Production has been halted and the factory stock is almost over. Meanwhile, dealerships are reportedly offering a discount of Rs. 1 lakh on the Eon to clear their inventory.

Rumour: Hyundai to phase out Eon by Dec '18-hyundaieon02.jpg

The Hyundai Eon was launched in 2011. Since then, the car has never received a major update. Also, following the launch of the second generation Santro, sales of the Eon have taken a hit and is therefore likely to be taken off the shelves.

The entry-level hatchback is available in five variants and is offered with two petrol engine options - a 814cc, 3-cylinder engine with 55 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 75 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm and a 998cc, 3-cylinder unit with 68 BHP @ 6,200 rpm and 94 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. Both engines are paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Source: Mycarhelpline

Link to Team-BHP News

1 Eon sold in November '18, and none in December '18 (factory dispatches).
Safe to say that this is the end of the road for Eon.

Source: http://www.autopunditz.com/news/indi...december-2018/

A bit saddened to know that this cute little car is no more in production. The Eon, when launched, was a revelation in the entry level segment in terms of quality, and proved that entry level cars need not look bland and come with cheap interiors. Perfect second car for city use.

In my opinion, it was the price that played against the success of this car, especially the top variants which were simply overpriced. Still, it sold in decent numbers and can't really be deemed as a flop.

Sad news indeed. As an owner from 2012, I am very happy with what it offered for the price. It showed the world that entry level cars don't need to be made cheap :thumbs up

May Hyundai can develop an electric version of Eon ? than developing all new one ? As i feel Eon still looks fresh, and a very capable city car.

Lovely car - except for two irritants; low suspension and poor mileage. We may yet see this in an electric avatar.
If pricing was more in-line with Alto, it could have still scraped through. But the quality was astounding for a small car, and maybe that's why it commanded a premium. RIP