Team-BHP - Rumour: Hyundai Verna facelift to get 1.5L petrol & diesel engines
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Hyundai Verna facelift to get 1.5L petrol & diesel engines (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/200506-rumour-hyundai-verna-facelift-get-1-5l-petrol-diesel-engines.html)

According to a media report, Hyundai has already started working on the Verna facelift due in 2020. In addition to revised exteriors and interiors, the updated model is rumoured to get new 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines.

Rumour: Hyundai Verna facelift to get 1.5L petrol & diesel engines-2017hyundaiverna02.jpg

The new Verna is expected to get a redesigned grille and bumpers as well as sheet metal changes, which might include a new bonnet, boot lid and fenders. The interior of the car is likely to be updated with a new instrument cluster and a new infotainment system featuring telematics.

Reports suggest that the 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine will be replaced with an all-new 1.5-litre BS-VI compliant diesel unit. The new engine is expected to be more fuel-efficient but might have a lower overall output compared to the current engine. Hyundai is also reportedly developing a new 1.5-litre, petrol engine featuring a 48V hybrid system. It will replace the current 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder unit. Both these engines are expected to debut in 2019 on the Kia SP Concept-based SUV.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

In the ACI interview with Mr YK Koo - he clearly mentions about the development of new age turbopetrol engines for India. Hence I doubt about a 1.5 petrol being developed now.

That said - cant wait to see what the next generation engines are capable of. The current 1.6 diesel is as refined and smooth as some competing petrol motors, whereas the 1.6 petrol is almost eerily electric smooth and silent at low rpms. The 1.5 iVTec is still way more fun, but the Hyundai feels class leading in driveability and refinement.

Things should hopefully get better with the next gen.

And the extra advantage of smaller premiums than the insane one currently for Insurance. I hope the output isn't way too less and still is respectable with the 100cc downgrade.

While I appreciate BS-VI compliant engines, I hope they don't take the grunt out of the cars when compared to the current engines. VW did it after the emissions scandal, and the old-gen 1.6 owners who got their cars compliant with the new norms are cribbing about losing grunt.

Whatever you do, Hyundai, please don't take away the competence levels of your current engines. The 1.6L CRDi is undeniably the segment best, while the 1.6L petrol has slowly & steadily improved over the years. Simply put, both motors are fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4437387)
Reports suggest that the 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine will be replaced with an all-new 1.5-litre BS-VI compliant diesel unit.

The 1.5L will also put it in a lower tax bracket, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 4437448)
And the extra advantage of smaller premiums than the insane one currently for Insurance.

Ah, good point!

This would help Hyundai take advantage of the excise benefit which the Verna hasn't had thus far with the 1.6 ltr engines.

However we need to wait and see if the benefits would be passed on to customers. This would further trouble Honda since the City is priced above the Verna despite the excise benefit due to the 1.5 ltr engines.

I hope engineers in Hyundai keep the USP & output intact with the reduction of capacity.

Why not just replace the 1.6 petrol with the existing 1.4 turbo petrol. Even the elantra can take this engine( and probably does in other markets) !
A 1.5 engine will drastically reduce as the third party cost in insurance premiums. They cost close to 8k for engines larger than 1.5 litres and I think 3k if lower.

Anyway, Hyundai always has a plan of sorts before making any majors moves. The new engine specs might be suitable for markets other than India.

This could also be due to the upcoming 1.5L petrol and diesel engines from Maruti, which is to be debuted in Ciaz facelift.

Good times for the customers.

History repeats itself - as far as the diesel engine capacity on the Verna is concerned

The 1 gen Verna came with 1.5L engine(diesel). Not sure if this was coincidental or Hyundai was smart enough to keep it under the 1.5L to keep the costs under check.

And then for reasons best known to them (or may be design limitations) they introduced the 1.6L diesel in the first iteration of the Fluidic Verna. And now back to 1.5L engine

The petrol engine on the other hand has been 1.6L since the 1st gen Verna

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4437387)
According to a media report, Hyundai has already started working on the Verna facelift due in 2020. In addition to revised exteriors and interiors, the updated model is rumoured to get new 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines.

Thank you TusharK for sharing this. :thumbs up

I may represent a minority group here about living with the huge turbo lag on the first-gen 1.5 VGT Verna, but the rush once the turbo spooled was to die for. I was head over heels with this engine, and almost bought the first hot diesel hatch (Getz) that was plonked with this engine!!

Although the 1.6 CRDI is stupendous, somewhere it does not feel as aggressive as its predecessor.
Hopefully, the 1.5 CRDI gets back this magic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4437590)
The 1.5L will also put it in a lower tax bracket, I believe.

My biggest gripe GTO is that the manufacturers seldom pass on the benefits to the buyer. Consider the case of Polo GT TDI. Although the original 1.6 TDI engine was downsized to 1.5 TDI, it is more expensive than the former.

Hopefully, Hyundai do the right thing and not the VAG thing!!

:OT - So with the only 1.6 Diesel engine in the market today going the 'Downsizing' way, all the 1.6 GT TDI owners can proudly claim to have had the only diesel hatch with a 1.6 litre engine in the country!!

The 1.6L CRDI engine of Hyunda is the segment best. I have owned a Fiat 1.3L Multijet in the Ritz. I have driven a Vento diesel and an Ecosport diesel for a few thousand kms. These engines cannot hold a candle to the Hyundai Verna diesel

That said and done, it is a very wise move to go to 1.5 L from 1.6 L. That will put the cars in a lower tax bracket making them more competitive in the marketplace. Additionally, the insurance costs for the vehicle will also go down. Nice move from Hyundai!