Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2018, 20:19   #16
BHPian

Considering the car is brand new , nothing wrong in asking for a brand new replacement. If the engine passed through Hyundai's QA , they better take ownership of it. Why cause stress to a customer and get all negative press .
sajanjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 20:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Do not settle for anything else than a new car, it is ridiculous to even think that one would except this when buying a new car.
Hyundai should take this car and study why it is a lemon, to improve future QC.
Doge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 07:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Sorry, but no.

Experience tells us that no manufacturer is a saint, nor is here for charity, nor is an engine a cheap part to replace. For something to go wrong with the engine, within a week of delivery, is simply not acceptable.

The fact that Hyundai is offering to change the entire engine makes it a rather reasonable demand to get a new car. It isn't as much about how straightforward a job it is to get the engine replaced but more about a new car having failed in the first week. Taking care of registration etc. is chump change for Hyundai.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 23:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sorry, but no.

Experience tells us that no manufacturer is a saint, nor is here for charity, nor is an engine a cheap part to replace. For something to go wrong with the engine, within a week of delivery, is simply not acceptable.

The fact that Hyundai is offering to change the entire engine makes it a rather reasonable demand to get a new car. It isn't as much about how straightforward a job it is to get the engine replaced but more about a new car having failed in the first week. Taking care of registration etc. is chump change for Hyundai.
That's the same thing I have been saying. New faulty car should be replaced, when it has a defective heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
It can be one off case that there might be huge mixing which resulted in the issue, it can be engine problem as well from factory like one teambhpian has engine problem with brand new toyota innova.
Agreed. But. I doubt I should settle for a heart transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
+1. I own 2017 Honda City ZX CVT. I observed some noise coming form the front and this noise when driving from a cold start. I contacted the GM Service of Linkway Honda in Mumbai. They also took videos and diagnosed some issue with a part of the engine - sorry I dont remember where was the problem exactly. They could have repaired or replaced that part of the engine but offered to replace the whole engine (My car was 9 months old then). With a lot of skepticism, I decided to go ahead. It was a good decision and there is absolutely no issue after the replacement. Initially, I also thought that how can I replace the engine of a new car but then I guess it was the best thing to do.
When I spend like anything on a new car. I don't expect a faulty Car. I expect it to be perfect. I work on auto sector and I know how we pay for it. It ain't that easy to accept that I am driving a fault car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To me, factory fit is factory fit. If this happened to my brand new car, I'd be pissed as hell too. @ Shravan, keep fighting, keep escalating and you might get a fresh new car. Don't give up easily. Try for a bit longer. These are all negotiating tactics.

No chance. If it was adulterated diesel, Hyundai wouldn't offer to replace the engine. It's a defective motor from the factory.
I guess that's the sentiment that I have right now. Pissed with the delivery of a faulty car. I really can't understand why should I accept a heart transplant as many have stated above. Thanks GTO. But, I must say it is really difficult to fight these giants. I have an experience (Commercial thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
Considering the car is brand new , nothing wrong in asking for a brand new replacement. If the engine passed through Hyundai's QA , they better take ownership of it. Why cause stress to a customer and get all negative press .
Fighting a big giant now for. Hope it works out. They accepted the flaw and I think the judgement should be in favour of a replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Do not settle for anything else than a new car, it is ridiculous to even think that one would except this when buying a new car.

Hyundai should take this car and study why it is a lemon, to improve future QC.
Trying the same. It's not just about my passion, but my hard earned money is on stake. I really can't live with the feeling that I am driving a defective car

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sorry, but no.

They indeed need to take ownership and I see that Hyundai's QC has not been very good these days, I see many owners are complaining and some even got a replacement

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th August 2018 at 01:05. Reason: Formatting
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 08:53   #20
BHPian

there are no two ways about the car owner feeling that he deserves a replacement of car instead of engine. The message above appears to be your feelings for the issue as you were passionately involved maybe in the buying decision as well as now but what is the opinion of your friend who is actually affected and who will have to pursue the legal battle.
just to share a related instance, i bought a pulsar bike around 15 yr back and took it to the same agency for some minor fault rectification in a mint condition. Left the bike for service and when i came back to collect it, it was nowhere to be seen. Got to know that my bike has been sold to another customer because of confusion at their end as my bike did not have any registration number at that time. The agency got the bike back from that new owner in a few hours but i refused to accept the bike. The agency gave me a new bike after a few heated arguments.
nik hill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:40   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
OT: Had this been a Tata, Fiat, Skoda majority of reactions would have been quite opposite.
It's what you call reputation, brand equity & goodwill which are created only after years & decades of hard work and effort. If I'm eating at a Taj Hotel restaurant and I find an overcharged bill, I'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume it was an error. The same episode at a local restaurant would have me believe that the owner is trying to fleece me.

For a multitude of reasons, Tata, Fiat & Skoda have damaged their own reputations in India. Plus, I don't think there is any doubt that Hyundai's cars are more reliable than any of these 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
Got to know that my bike has been sold to another customer because of confusion at their end as my bike did not have any registration number at that time.
That is the funniest service story I have ever heard . Glad it got sorted though.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's what you call reputation, brand equity & goodwill which are created only after years & decades of hard work and effort. If I'm eating at a Taj Hotel restaurant and I find an overcharged bill, I'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume it was an error. The same episode at a local restaurant would have me believe that the owner is trying to fleece me.

For a multitude of reasons, Tata, Fiat & Skoda have damaged their own reputations in India. Plus, I don't think there is any doubt that Hyundai's cars are more reliable than any of these 3.
Agree that brand Hyundai is quite strong and few incidents like these will not hamper their image. That said, off late I see a lot of issue being reported on this brand. My friends who are non auto enthu's are now under impression that Hyundai's are expensive to maintain though reliable. Add to that common man don't see Hyundai as fuel efficient cars as well. They have 3-4 cars doing really well and one wrong move is going to impact them severely.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
It's what you call reputation, brand equity & goodwill
Yes sir, completely agree.

Quote:
I don't think there is any doubt that Hyundai's cars are more reliable than any of these 3.
Precisely, I was just trying to convey this, despite having better understanding of an automobile, sometime even our views (including mine) tend to get unwarrantedly influenced by brand reputation/goodwill.
No offence to anyone.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Agree that brand Hyundai is quite strong and few incidents like these will not hamper their image. That said, off late I see a lot of issue being reported on this brand. My friends who are non auto enthu's are now under impression that Hyundai's are expensive to maintain though reliable. Add to that common man don't see Hyundai as fuel efficient cars as well. They have 3-4 cars doing really well and one wrong move is going to impact them severely.
Hyundai is very much reliable , its not costly to maintain. I owned swift zdi and hyundai verna 4s , both service use to cost the same. Its just the engine oil in 1.6 is 6 litres so synthetic oil cost more but there is no compulsion from hyundai and one can opt for mineral oil as well. And about the mileage , hyundai 1.6 is far better in mileage and performance then DDIS engine.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th August 2018 at 01:06. Reason: Formatting
Old 6th August 2018, 14:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai is very much reliable , its not costly to maintain. I owned swift zdi and hyundai verna 4s , both service use to cost the same. Its just the engine oil in 1.6 is 6 litres so synthetic oil cost more but there is no compulsion from hyundai and one can opt for mineral oil as well. And about the mileage , hyundai 1.6 is far better in mileage and performance then DDIS engine.
I already mentioned they are reliable unit. Regarding maintenance cost, Maruti itself is costly if you aren't watchful. My in-law was charged 12-13K for 20K service of Dzire. Even with Hyundai, a well informed guy can manage to get lower bills, but they generally try to add lot of other things. Check below thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ctices-37.html .

If we take ARAI ratings, comparable models of Suzuki/Honda score better than Hyundai. That said the refinement and performance offered by Hyundai is far ahead of competition. Again my post was more of highlighting increasing concerns with Hyundai A.S.S .
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I already mentioned they are reliable unit. Regarding maintenance cost, Maruti itself is costly if you aren't watchful. My in-law was charged 12-13K for 20K service of Dzire. Even with Hyundai, a well informed guy can manage to get lower bills, but they generally try to add lot of other things. Check below thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ctices-37.html .

If we take ARAI ratings, comparable models of Suzuki/Honda score better than Hyundai. That said the refinement and performance offered by Hyundai is far ahead of competition. Again my post was more of highlighting increasing concerns with Hyundai A.S.S .
Dont go by ARAI rating , in real world 1.3 ddis delhi traffic it goes to down to even 12. I am very watchfull what to add and what to delete. I even got my swift serviced outside after 30K kms , my normal servicing bills use to cost 6to 8k as when diesel filter has to replaced every 20 K kms. My verna has clocked 60 K kms till now and there has been no issues with ASS.

Hyundai has now very aggressive customer care, every visit to service center even for small work there is follow up call from hyundai customer care. Seeing your post i don't think you own a hyundai, and you are stating issue with hyundai ASS. I have owned maruti swift and driven it for lakh kms, and it has been equivalent to hyundai in terms of cost. I have been getting mileage around 16-17 of daily highway drive to office plus city driving as well on remapped verna crdi. My speed hovers around 80 -120 on highways , mileage depends upon the way you shift gear against turbo boost zone. If i go on long highway drive to punjab , verna churns out 18-20 mileage even at speed 100 -120 plus.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th August 2018 at 01:07. Reason: Formatting
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 18:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I absolutely feel your pain. I hate when something goes wrong in my car even after 5+ years unless it is an expected wear and tear part. Your car lost its heart in less than a month. Simply unacceptable.

What is more sad and frustrating is too some people finding your demand for a new car unfounded. Don't worry man. It is very easier for all of us to just advice. If faced with a similar issue, I doubt anyone will ever find getting a new engine a perfect and acceptable solution. Your demand is totally justified and in an ideal world Hyundai should honour it. If you wanted a lemon, you could have bought a whole farm of them with the money you paid for this car.

But having said that, I feel you may find some merit in settling for an engine change. Just ask yourself if you are willing to fight this out in court? There are innumerable threads on the forum. There are cases where the buyer was simply cheated outright by selling him a wrong model car disguised as something else, cases where there is evidence of dealership stealing parts from the car and what not. Some have won and some will win, but the common factor across all is the time and energy you will be spending in achieving that victory. If you see yourself as someone who has the energy and determination to do it, then by all means take them to court and fight it out. If not then opt for the engine change, drive the car or sell it at a small loss and move on. There is no third option here.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 18:41   #28
BHPian

I don't work in the auto industry but it's common in many industries to replace only the parts are faulty and not the full product.

Even companies like Apple who are known for their customer service doesn't always replace the device even if it's their fault. They assess many factors including time taken to procure parts which could be an inconvenience to the customer, availability of a replacement device etc. and decide based on that. And even so, some times they also provide another refurbished device, not a new device.

I agree we are emotionally attached to our cars but for Hyundai, it's a product with a faulty part. I honestly think Hyundai offering a new engine + extended warranty would be a fair deal. Asking for a replacement is not wrong and a nice to have but Hyundai is not required to replace the car in my opinion.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 6th August 2018 at 18:42. Reason: Formatting line gaps
Yieldway17 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 19:38   #29
BHPian

One question, assuming the engine is changed, there will be a ,mismatch between the engine number chassis number combo as mentioned in the RC book vs actual.. how will this be taken care
Old 7th August 2018, 14:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
there are no two ways about the car owner feeling that he deserves a replacement of car instead of engine. The message above appears to be your feelings for the issue as you were passionately involved maybe in the buying decision as well as now but what is the opinion of your friend who is actually affected and who will have to pursue the legal battle.
just to share a related instance, i bought a pulsar bike around 15 yr back and took it to the same agency for some minor fault rectification in a mint condition. Left the bike for service and when i came back to collect it, it was nowhere to be seen. Got to know that my bike has been sold to another customer because of confusion at their end as my bike did not have any registration number at that time. The agency got the bike back from that new owner in a few hours but i refused to accept the bike. The agency gave me a new bike after a few heated arguments.
The reason that we are pushing for replacement is, this vehicle had faults from day 1 and and i think its justified. On the other hand its not my feelings, my friend has the same opinion,

Quote:

That is the funniest service story I have ever heard . Glad it got sorted though.
Thanks GTO. I think such small issues sometime affects reputation. They change a persons Verna and when we demand, they are giving policy excuse.

Quote:
No doubt Hyundai is very well reliable, i own i-gen i20, giving me the same service cost as my Tata Vista and my 4 year old Verna 1.4D is more fuel efficient than m i-gen i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I absolutely feel your pain. I hate when something goes wrong in my car even after 5+ years unless it is an expected wear and tear part. Your car lost its heart in less than a month. Simply unacceptable.

What is more sad and frustrating is too some people finding your demand for a new car unfounded. Don't worry man. It is very easier for all of us to just advice. If faced with a similar issue, I doubt anyone will ever find getting a new engine a perfect and acceptable solution. Your demand is totally justified and in an ideal world Hyundai should honour it. If you wanted a lemon, you could have bought a whole farm of them with the money you paid for this car.

But having said that, I feel you may find some merit in settling for an engine change. Just ask yourself if you are willing to fight this out in court? There are innumerable threads on the forum. There are cases where the buyer was simply cheated outright by selling him a wrong model car disguised as something else, cases where there is evidence of dealership stealing parts from the car and what not. Some have won and some will win, but the common factor across all is the time and energy you will be spending in achieving that victory. If you see yourself as someone who has the energy and determination to do it, then by all means take them to court and fight it out. If not then opt for the engine change, drive the car or sell it at a small loss and move on. There is no third option here.
Engine change would be the last option. Once the engine is changed, think about the resale. And the engine change will be in the system, even if he sells, the new owner would get this information from Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
One question, assuming the engine is changed, there will be a ,mismatch between the engine number chassis number combo as mentioned in the RC book vs actual.. how will this be taken care
As per Hyundai, the new engine would have the same number as the present one or if the engine number changes, they would get it changed in RC and insurance themselves, which itself is time consuming.

Update - Hyundai calls up today and in the highest state of arrogance tells that nothing would be done, except for engine change. "Do whatever you wanna do, we wont replace it with a new one."
So, Hyundai changes one customer's car and refuses to the other stating - "It happened because you filled with Kerosene"
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks