Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 21:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Update - Hyundai calls up today and in the highest state of arrogance tells that nothing would be done, except for engine change. "Do whatever you wanna do, we wont replace it with a new one."
Would tweeting to Hyundai's international channels help here? How about escalating e-mails to HQ? Surely this lackadaisical attitude cannot be the status-quo in Europe/America/Korea.
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 21:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Quote:
So the service center is out of the picture. Till now the car has been with my friend and only in the last week he has received a call from Hyundai and they offered to change the whole engine.

Realistically, the car is almost brand new. No issues have been reported other than related to the engine. Although Hyundai were not able to resolve the issue in the first attempt, they were onto it and when they realized the problem needs replacement of the engine, they are candid about it.

I sincerely think you can't and shouldn't expect more than that. Goes without saying that the warranty on the engine and other peripherals such as injectors etc starts from the day they are replaced and Hyundai pays for the RC and Insurance endorsement charges. But I personally think asking for a brand new car as a replacement doesn't cut it.

I would say take the offer and enjoy the car.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

I had my engine replaced by Ford on my Ecosport a while ago because it had a defect. They took over a month and my car has been completely screwed after that with random errors coming and a worn clutch which was replaced right before engine replacement. This was at Harpreet Ford Okhla. I won't recommend doing a engine replacement and that too on a brand new car. It will just be a lifetime of hassles. Fight for a new car.
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Would tweeting to Hyundai's international channels help here? How about escalating e-mails to HQ? Surely this lackadaisical attitude cannot be the status-quo in Europe/America/Korea.

Well they called again and told us that "we offered you an engine change, but you are not satisfied, now the company has decided not to even do the engine change" This is their attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I had my engine replaced by Ford on my Ecosport a while ago because it had a defect. They took over a month and my car has been completely screwed after that with random errors coming and a worn clutch which was replaced right before engine replacement. This was at Harpreet Ford Okhla. I won't recommend doing a engine replacement and that too on a brand new car. It will just be a lifetime of hassles. Fight for a new car.

That's the reason I am skeptical with engine change. A factory fitted engine cannot be the same as an engine replaced at a dealership.
shravan2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Its very unfortunate your friend has to go through this ordeal. And it must be hard on you too since you recommended the brand/car.

Quote:
Well they called again and told us that "we offered you an engine change, but you are not satisfied, now the company has decided not to even do the engine change" This is their attitude.
In that case, tell them to give it to you in writing. You have proof that they were ready to change the engine so you can easily take them to court. They are just trying to bully you'll now.

Quote:
A factory fitted engine cannot be the same as an engine replaced at a dealership.
Can you elaborate? Im curious to know why.

Cheers!
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 15:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Can you elaborate? Im curious to know why.

Cheers!
Precisely because of so many things that can potentially go wrong as stated in the above post. We all hear the horror stories that happen at the dealership levels. And no one can really assure the quality of the work done. Even if the workshop manages to rectify these potential hassles, it is still unethical to make the customer go through these hassles when he was promised a new car that is supposed to work properly.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 18:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the service center is out of the picture. Till now the car has been with my friend and only in the last week he has received a call from Hyundai and they offered to change the whole engine.

I buy a new vehicle, which is faulty from day one. Multiple visits to the service center by taking leaves from office, i am told injector assembly is replaced, only on raising my voice they acknowledge the noise is present. Now they come up with a crazy, unacceptable solution of changing the engine. Why should the customer accept this and why should he drive a fault car, when he has paid for it from his hard earned money? Changing the engine is not the same as a new car which is rolled out of the factory.
So even though many here feel that an engine change is no big deal, I would like to say that you need to look at the bigger picture. Maybe the engine change is not a big deal now, but it will be a big deal when you would want to sell the car one day. No buyer will touch your car, and even if they do, it will be for a price much lesser than the market only because of the engine change.

I faced the same issue when I owned a Maruti Suzuki Swift from 2005 to 2012. The car was immaculately maintained but started developing rust on the doors with in 03 years of ownership. So much so that 03 doors had to be changed. No big deal, right? Well I had to sell the car for less than 02 lakhs with just 80k kms on the odo only because of the non-factory fitted doors. So imagine what is going to happen with an engine change.

Please ask for a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I think this post above is also another eye opener to what may happen with an engine change.

This link below is also another example. All of us here on TBHP have mentioned that he should never have touched this car. And mind you, this is a car sold by BMW themselves with a warranty.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-workshop.html

Last edited by Epic : 19th August 2018 at 18:21.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 18:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

So what happens to registration papers if the engine is changed? I am sure you have to enter the new engine number to the RC.

Will it not affect the resale value of the car if the RC shows two engine numbers?

Surely Hyundai should replace this with a new car.

After all it will be another write off on their balance sheet, It will work wonders for their brand image and customer trust.
Old 19th August 2018, 19:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Precisely because of so many things that can potentially go wrong as stated in the above post. We all hear the horror stories that happen at the dealership levels. And no one can really assure the quality of the work done. Even if the workshop manages to rectify these potential hassles, it is still unethical to make the customer go through these hassles when he was promised a new car that is supposed to work properly.
The key will be to get this done at the top Hyundai Dealership in the city. One thing to note is that the spare parts of Hyundai cars are not from Hyundai but from a separate company called Mobis. Mobis is owned by Hyundai themselves but the way HMIL deals with Mobis is like a separate company. The parts will not be from the assembly line but separately manufactured.

That said and done, going with an engine change is the best possible route. The company has said engine needs to be changed. Asking for a new car is 'correct' but it will be long legal hassle with no guaranteed success at the end. This is just plain bad luck for the buyer.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 19:46   #40
BHPian

I've been following your situation from the original post in Hyundai Verna's official review thread.

It is reasonable to ask for a new car. If they just retracted the offer of replacing your engine because you posted on Team-BHP, I call it bad customer service. I suggest you do not wait since the event is still fresh and file a complaint in the consumer court against the dealer and the company if you have sufficient proof. The resolution will be quick but the lawyer might be expensive to hire. Will be worth it in the end.

Meanwhile, I'll talk to a friend who is employed with Hyundai in post sales department and see if he can expedite the process.
typlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 19:55   #41
BHPian

Maybe I missed it, but what's the technical problem they have found because of which they decided that changing the engine is the right solution? Did they provide any evidence of finding kerosene in the fuel system?
Old 19th August 2018, 20:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post

That said and done, going with an engine change is the best possible route. The company has said engine needs to be changed. Asking for a new car is 'correct' but it will be long legal hassle with no guaranteed success at the end. This is just plain bad luck for the buyer.
Ofcourse. And that is what I had said in an earlier post too. The legal system is designed such that it will be a long and arduous journey to fight this in court with no definite chance of a win in the end. So taking that into consideration, I would have taken the offer.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 21:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So what happens to registration papers if the engine is changed? I am sure you have to enter the new engine number to the RC.

Will it not affect the resale value of the car if the RC shows two engine numbers?

Surely Hyundai should replace this with a new car.

After all it will be another write off on their balance sheet, It will work wonders for their brand image and customer trust.
Just my two cents here. We had a maruti 800 long back which needed an engine change at some point of its life. It was after the engine change we realized that the engine number on the RC book was different thereafter. We went to the RTO but did not get a very clear answer as to how to put the new engine number in the RC book. So this is also a point to be considered.
Old 19th August 2018, 21:32   #44
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your friend's ordeal, it is shocking that such issues can be present in a brand new car which has passed testing and pdi. Please fight for a replacement car, it is absolutely not unreasonable as many have commented here. The dealership already lost credibility by claiming fuel adulteration and then lying about replacing the injectors. Now how do you trust them with fitting a new engine? It is easy for others to say it is not rocket science, but I would not want any shady and incompetent dealership guy handing an engine replacement in my week old car.
wantarangerover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 01:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

A replaced engine on a brand new car would result in a notable change in its records and consequently a drop in its value, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure if it does, but I wouldn't want to wait around to find out.

I would never accept the proposal of replacing a defective engine on a brand new car.

I'd ask for a brand new car, or my money back. And I would move Consumer Court, if it comes to that.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th August 2018 at 07:24. Reason: Typo
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks