Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 07:15   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I'd ask for a brand new car, or my money back. And I would move Consumer Court, if it comes to that.
+1. Even the courts would probably take into consideration the timing of the engine failure. It is ONLY 1 WEEK old!

No customer should be made to go through such an ordeal that early in his ownership experience. But the OP here needs to clarify the exact diagnosis that Hyundai came up with and the offer to replace the engine in writing. Otherwise we all know how easy it is to play with our legal system.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th August 2018 at 07:17.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 07:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Isn't that why warranties are provided?

Any piece of machinery can fail. Engine failure within the first week certainly doesn't speak well about the manufacturer, but this has been a lone incident. How many other Vernas have had an engine failure so early?
Old 20th August 2018, 15:49   #48

I own a Hyundai car too. 4S Fluidic Verna, SX(O) Facelift model.

Following parts have been replaced in the time span of 2 years(Feb 2016 - Aug 2018)

1, Faulty audio driver. Replaced in warranty (Found this problem on the first day itself)

2, Found dead pixels on the AVN display. Replaced in warranty.

3, Steering column replaced due to a noise issue.

4, Steering rack was replaced.

5, AVN was replaced again for the same display issue.

6, Clutch got jammed, master cylinder was replaced.

7, Longer crank for ignition, battery was replaced in less than two years.

8, Driver side ORVM stopped working. Replaced in warranty.

Issues yet to be resolved

8, Jet washer stopped working.

9, Fuel filter cluster symbol keeps on and off for almost an year. No solutions yet.

10. Grinding noise while steering the car to the left at 40Kmph and more.

11. Grunt noise, from driveshaft I guess. The noise goes off once I step on the gas pedal.

12. Accelerator is not responding. Turbo failure, EGR went bad.

Car is still with service station for the last issue. Accelerator failed to respond. Upon inspection they say water has somehow got mixed with the fuel. Asked me to provide one week to fix it, but now they called me and said it will take another one week time. New update is that, there is nothing wrong with the fuel, but with Turbo and EGR. Whether it has to be replaced or serviced, I'm yet to know. Turbo costs around 80K-85K.

I want to get away with this car and buy a new one. Since it's a company purchase I have to wait for another 3 years.

I'm a ford fan, my first car was figo (Diesel). I never had a single issue with ford but unfortunately it was totaled in Dec 2015 Chennai flood.

Since Ford stopped manufacturing Sedans, I had to look up for an alternative. I chose Verna CRDi, I fell for the performance and moreover the refinement. 1.6 CRDi is indeed a great engine. But that's not everything isn't it?
Hprmodern is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 19:17   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprmodern View Post
I own a Hyundai car too. 4S Fluidic Verna, SX(O) Facelift model.

Following parts have been replaced in the time span of 2 years(Feb 2016 - Aug 2018)

1, Faulty audio driver. Replaced in warranty (Found this problem on the first day itself)..

12. Accelerator is not responding. Turbo failure, EGR went bad.

Car is still with service station for the last issue.

I want to get away with this car and buy a new one. Since it's a company purchase I have to wait for another 3 years.

I'm a ford fan, my first car was figo (Diesel). I never had a single issue with ford but unfortunately it was totaled in Dec 2015 Chennai flood.

Since Ford stopped manufacturing Sedans, I had to look up for an alternative. I chose Verna CRDi, I fell for the performance and moreover the refinement. 1.6 CRDi is indeed a great engine. But that's not everything isn't it?
WoW!! That is a long list, I always thought VW/skoda are known for the quality/service issues!! Having said that, my 2013 Vento didn't had any issue until I sold her 3 months back. It was just perfect and replaced with pre-owned Jetta, another VW.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st August 2018 at 06:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 23:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Was there a resolution to the OP's issue?
Old 19th September 2018, 23:50   #51
BHPian

Update: So Hyundai has changed the engine in my friends Verna. He just got the delivery. Had a short word with him, the noise is no more. Will update on how the car is performing now, how good is the work done by the company, insurance and RC update etc. once I meet him and see his car.
shravan2k2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 00:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Update: So Hyundai has changed the engine in my friends Verna. He just got the delivery. Had a short word with him, the noise is no more. Will update on how the car is performing now, how good is the work done by the company, insurance and RC update etc. once I meet him and see his car.
Nice to hear the issue has been sorted out. Emotional aspects aside, replacing the engine, I feel, was the more logical thing to do considering Hyundai had offered to do so without much fleecing from your friend's end. Hope Hyundai is taking care of the cost of updating the registration with the new engine number.Did Hyundai throw in any goodies as well like Extended Warranty, free service offer?
Old 20th September 2018, 12:23   #53
BHPian

Good to know that the engine has been replaced finally! May be I missed the point, trying to understand the actual problem. Was it for the noise in lower rpm that Hyundai agreed to replace the engine or any other major issues observed? What was meant by "engine missing noise" in the first post by OP?

I'm asking this because I feel the same annoying noise in my new Verna 1.6D AT around 1700-1900 rpm especially in lower gears. As the speed picks up and out on highways, I don't hear much and it's usually silent for the diesel standards. As I got used to the diesel clatters of 1.3 Fiat engine for nearly 8 years, I thought I would hear lesser sound with this Engine. However it is on a bit harsh side after the cold start. I was told to get it checked during the first service which I plan to do probably tomorrow and also assumed that the engine will settle down quieter after the initial run-in period.
Hoping for the best, fingers crossed!
Old 20th September 2018, 13:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxvistian View Post
I'm asking this because I feel the same annoying noise in my new Verna 1.6D AT around 1700-1900 rpm especially in lower gears.
Is noise same as mentioned in this post by ' (Hyundai Verna : Official Review)clevermax'?
Old 23rd September 2018, 16:45   #55
BHPian

I visited the Service center (Kun) for my first service and explained in detail about the engine noise, took their team lead for a test drive to show the additional noise over the usual diesel engine sound. I went for another round along with some Hyundai technician who came with the obd scanner and showed me that everything was normal without any abnormal errors on screen.

Finally I got the basic fluid check and a dry (waterless) wash with no real explanation for the noise. They just repeatedly told me that there was nothing wrong and it was only a normal diesel engine sound which was audible a lot to me due to the fact that I was listening to it more keenly.

Also the the engine is absolutely silent during idling and only makes some additional noise between 1600 - 1900 rpm. Is this really due to the auto transmission's lag in shifting gears and my not-so-gentle acceleration? I'm not sure whether this is really a normal behavior of Diesel + Torque Converter AT and if it is something that I need to learn to live with.

P.S. With Hyundai, I didn't feel any magical difference with the service experience or technical knowledge of service engineers against what I experienced with Tata for the past 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Is noise same as mentioned in this post by ' (Hyundai Verna : Official Review)clevermax'?
Yes, I commented there as well which you can find (Hyundai Verna : Official Review)here
Old 27th October 2018, 10:14   #56

Hi,

Similar but hopefully not so serious a problem

Purchased Hyundai Verna diesel 1.6 SX (O) in Sept 2017, while selling off the older Fluidic Verna which was by then almost 4 years old and run 65000 km.
While test driving this new Verna I had noticed and discussed with the dealership about some engine roughness and clapping noise from the diesel motor which was absent in the earlier model. I assumed it to be a minor problem and went ahead and purchased the new car. The positives were better gear ratios, better power bandwidth, far better handling (no boat ride at high speeds or steering going numb on a rough patch on the road) and very much improved ride quality (no more hitting the speed breakers or roller coaster ride for rear seat) and better instrumentation.
Just two days back while driving alone, with no music, up a steep and curvy ghat road with frequent gear shifts, noticed a lot of roughness in engine and in spite of good NVH, engine could be heard loud and clear in the cabin and a metallic clicking noise accompanied this roughness at low RPM.
Alarmed by this development, noticed the engine a bit more closely on the trip down hill and on a long highway strip, touching speeds of 120 Kmph and found to my utter dismay the engine was lot more rough compared to the new one.
Car is only 13 months old and has just done 20000 km. Sent it for 20K service with the above information to the service centre. They recommended synthetic oil in place of regular and changed it with prior consent. Roughness feels lower to a decent extent and the metallic noise has vanished. Service centre has asked for a feedback after about 1000 KM.
Another niggle experienced is an irritating clicking, crackling noise from the dash board. It began as early as 3 months into car's life and has continued since. Now that the cabin is more noisy because of a rough engine, it is masked a bit. Informed the service centre about the same and to my utter surprise the answer was that many owners of new Verna have complained about it.
Hyundai assumes that the drivers of their vehicles have a great night vision. The back lighting on switches on driver side door panel is given a miss making the driver grope in the dark for the right switch, and in the process taking his concentration away from the road.
pjnayak64 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 15:18   #57
BHPian

You know, me being an owner of the new gen Verna, someone who switched over from a Skoda Rapid, was pretty surprised to experience certain small niggles in my car, and all these threads looming around with people experiencing such major problems, it does make me doubt whether Hyundai still carries the reliability quotient or not. My own car has an issue with engine mounts which will be detailed in my ownership review coming up soon. Pretty disappointing.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 15:41   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

It is disappointing to hear that Hyundai standards of quality are dropping. While their popularity is on the rise elsewhere , this certainly is one of their major market. I hope they act soon.
Old 27th October 2018, 19:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnayak64 View Post
Another niggle experienced is an irritating clicking, crackling noise from the dash board. It began as early as 3 months into car's life and has continued since.
Mine started emitting this crackling noise within first week!

Local dealership seems to have tried to resolve this issue but since they said they would have to open up the dashboard, I refused.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 20:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

While hunting for car, many of my enthusiast friends told me to stay away from well equipped Hyundai models, I rarely found any issues with older models and even Team-bhp was praising their reliability! Sad to see newer models being so unreliable

Looks like not so well finished Honda Amaze is the only diesel automatic(AMT not included) which has no major flaws. Team-bhp review already stated that both the cars with 1.6D have very poor braking, this thread just makes it clear that Hyundai which made the Santro we had is not the same anymore!

Is there any brand that is niggle free anymore? or all of them going the German cars way to more equipment and poor reliability?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks