Team-BHP - Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/200529-defective-new-verna-1-6-hyundai-wants-change-engine-owner-wants-new-car-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4485647)
While hunting for car, many of my enthusiast friends told me to stay away from well equipped Hyundai models, I rarely found any issues with older models and even Team-bhp was praising their reliability! Sad to see newer models being so unreliable

Is there any brand that is niggle free anymore? or all of them going the German cars way to more equipment and poor reliability?

Not really, I'm just typing this out as a personal experience and not due to any justification per se.. but I still think Hyundai has the same old reliability, this is from my personal experience of 3 cars over 13 years starting with the Santro, the Getz and now an Elantra (well-loaded). Several months of driving over bad roads, non-existent roads, severely flooded roads (a BMW was stranded on it) etc.. happy to say no problems as of yet.

Also most of the people I know are notorious German car fanboys, specially of VW.. while the DSG boxes do invite trouble, the manual Polo/Vento are reliable irrespective of gizmos and most have done almost 70-80k kms without issues. VW simply doesn't know how to make completely reliable turbos or auto-boxes but buy a no-nonsense petrol manual and they will work without issues other than the annual service.

In the end it boils down to luck, and even if many Verna's are having issues it may be a problem with a batch of those cars. I'm glad I went a segment above and avoided potential niggles.. I can't waste a second of my life fixing things inside a lump of metal which is supposed to be serving me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4485647)
While hunting for car, many of my enthusiast friends told me to stay away from well equipped Hyundai models, I rarely found any issues with older models and even Team-bhp was praising their reliability! Sad to see newer models being so unreliable :Frustrati

Looks like not so well finished Honda Amaze is the only diesel automatic(AMT not included) which has no major flaws. Team-bhp review already stated that both the cars with 1.6D have very poor braking, this thread just makes it clear that Hyundai which made the Santro we had is not the same anymore!

I have owned two Hyundai's and now have two (four if you count my son and dil) Hondas. I did find Honda far cheaper to maintain and run. It is true in terms of fitment level Hyundai are hard to beat. Also, Honda ASS used to be unbeatable. I am not sure now due to the very large number of lower end cars coming in. Earlier there used to be some exclusivity. However, I have had no reasons to crib, since the service continues to be good with Honda. Only my fears/doubts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjnayak64 (Post 4485452)
Just two days back while driving alone, with no music, up a steep and curvy ghat road with frequent gear shifts, noticed a lot of roughness in engine and in spite of good NVH, engine could be heard loud and clear in the cabin and a metallic clicking noise accompanied this roughness at low RPM.
Alarmed by this development, noticed the engine a bit more closely on the trip down hill and on a long highway strip, touching speeds of 120 Kmph and found to my utter dismay the engine was lot more rough compared to the new one.
Car is only 13 months old Sent it for 20K service with the above information to the service centre. They recommended synthetic oil in place of regular and changed it with prior consent. Roughness feels lower to a decent extent and the metallic noise has vanished. Service centre has asked for a feedback after about 1000 KM.

I can relate with the same.
I also have noticed of late that the engine is noisier and I too drove on the highway with air con and ICE off. Immediately I could hear the diesel clatter which was rather strange because I didn’t notice it earlier! Maybe because the volume of the ICE is on the higher side most of the time.
Nevertheless the noise is very “un - Hyundai”ish.

How is your car doing now? Any noticeable change after oil change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 (Post 4485886)
I can relate with the same.
I also have noticed of late that the engine is noisier and I too drove on the highway with air con and ICE off. Immediately I could hear the diesel clatter which was rather strange because I didn’t notice it earlier! Maybe because the volume of the ICE is on the higher side most of the time.
Nevertheless the noise is very “un - Hyundai”ish.

How is your car doing now? Any noticeable change after oil change?

After oil change (Shifted to synthetic oil, costs you almost double and more), engine sounds a lot smoother, metallic clatter is completely missing. I had a long 400 km drive 2 days back, every thing seemed okay, but as you said it is "UN HYUNDAI-ISH"

I believe we need a Lemon Law in India like the US. It states that if a vehicle ,with an inherent defect, is not brought back to its original condition after multiple repair attempts, the manufacturer is responsible for replacing the vehicle .

But then again in US , this is required because every repair work tends to reduce the resale value of the vehicle thanks to services like Carfax which track the entire service history of a car.

Took a test drive of the Verna diesel AT a couple of months ago and it was outrageously noisy in a certain RPM band (weirdly not in lower rpm). It had clocked 9000 Km at that time and the SA claimed that ill maintenance of the car was the reason for the noise. He suggested me to try out a brand new car, but I wasn’t convinced. Interestingly my Tucson diesel AT is surprisingly smooth even compared to my BMW X3 30d.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehighwayman (Post 4525284)
I believe we need a Lemon Law in India like the US. It states that if a vehicle ,with an inherent defect, is not brought back to its original condition after multiple repair attempts, the manufacturer is responsible for replacing the vehicle .

But then again in US , this is required because every repair work tends to reduce the resale value of the vehicle thanks to services like Carfax which track the entire service history of a car.

We need a strict law, but implementation of law is a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4525292)
Took a test drive of the Verna diesel AT a couple of months ago and it was outrageously noisy in a certain RPM band (weirdly not in lower rpm). It had clocked 9000 Km at that time and the SA claimed that ill maintenance of the car was the reason for the noise. He suggested me to try out a brand new car, but I wasn’t convinced. Interestingly my Tucson diesel AT is surprisingly smooth even compared to my BMW X3 30d.

Surprisingly i would say, this generation Verna has some major engine design issue.

Update: Even after engine change, the noise is still present, now after all the hassle and fighting my friend has also given up. This is a major engine design flaw which Hyundai is not in a mood to rectify.
Even though the noise is less, but is still present. Not a pleasant experience with Hyundai this time.