Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

My friend (Not on Team-Bhp) recently bought the new Verna 1.6 Diesel Automatic.

The buying decision in short
So my childhood friend and me have been travelling Delhi-Gurgaon every day. Fed up with the slow moving bumper to bumper traffic, i recommended him New Verna Automatic as i own the i20 Diesel and 1.4 Verna Diesel, which have been really reliable. My Verna 1.4D is already crossed 1.25 lakh kilometer in 4 years.

So we started talking to various dealers for the same. Now the first sore point, none of the dealers had the Verna 1.6D Automatic test drive vehicle. Well, Hyundai should understand this - If you want to sell your vehicle, provide a test drive to the customer. But, we were not convinced and we told the dealers, we would not put down our hard earned INR 16 lakh on a car without a test drive. So, one of the dealers agreed to provide us with test drive on a new car, we agreed and then went ahead with buying from the same dealer.

Major problem starts now
1 - Within a week, we could hear engine missing noise (slightly crude noise) between 1800~2100 rpm. Verna gets dropped at the service center.
The most lame thing i have ever heard off by any service center - Sir you mixed kerosene with diesel, which is the reason behind the noise (Why would someone add Kerosene in his 16 Lakh rupee car). My friend and his father had to raise their voices and the service center cleaned the tank and gave us back.
2 - Next week and the car is again at the service center. This time the service center acknowledges the noise problem and escalates it to the company. A person from Chandigarh attends and tells that the injector assembly and injectors have been changed. The noise came down by 10% and not much change could be experienced.
3 - Another week and we visited the service center. After complaining and raising our voice, we got to know that in our previous visit, only injector assembly calibration and pressure pump cleaning was done, nothing was changed.

Hyundai hops in -
In the same week we got a call from Hyundai (not the service center) for feedback and told the issue. Till now Hyundai was unaware of the same. Some Hyundai employees from Jasola head office visit and inspect the vehicle and acknowledge that the noise is present. They made some videos and went back. Assuring that they would resolve it.

So the service center is out of the picture. Till now the car has been with my friend and only in the last week he has received a call from Hyundai and they offered to change the whole engine.

I buy a new vehicle, which is faulty from day one. Multiple visits to the service center by taking leaves from office, i am told injector assembly is replaced, only on raising my voice they acknowledge the noise is present. Now they come up with a crazy, unacceptable solution of changing the engine. Why should the customer accept this and why should he drive a fault car, when he has paid for it from his hard earned money? Changing the engine is not the same as a new car which is rolled out of the factory.

Team-Bhp members are requested to spread this and help us. Also, if someone else is facing the same noisy engine problem, please share. If the engine noise problem is common to all the present gen Verna (my fluidic Verna and i-gen i20 are extremely silent you can hardly hear the engine noise inside the cabin), we can push the company to recall and rectify this.
Attached Thumbnails
Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car-whatsapp-image-20180801-11.52.26-pm.jpeg  

Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car-whatsapp-image-20180430-11.43.39-pm.jpeg  

shravan2k2 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

I was just going through Team-Bhp and came across below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hin-month.html

Brand new Verna has developed air con fault and got a replacement with brand new car.
RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Is there any other issue with the car? It doesn't seem like this is caused by accidental damage so why not accept the solution Hyundai is providing which is to change the complete engine? It is far better than going back and forth with several trips to the service center. Honestly, I would not mind handing over the car to them to change the whole engine.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is there any other issue with the car? It doesn't seem like this is caused by accidental damage so why not accept the solution Hyundai is providing which is to change the complete engine? It is far better than going back and forth with several trips to the service center. Honestly, I would not mind handing over the car to them to change the whole engine.
No other issues. No accident, it is a brand new car. Changing the whole engine is not a small task. I am from the automobile industry as well. Do you think the fitment will be as good as a car which has just rolled out of the plant? Even if you open the door pads, it would never be the same as factory fitted door pad.

Secondly, the car is faulty from day 1. On the other hand it is not just a small part that would changed. The whole engine block would be changed. It ain't a small thing as compared to a small part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
I was just going through Team-Bhp and came across below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hin-month.html

Brand new Verna has developed air con fault and got a replacement with brand new car.
That got replaced before it was even registered, Hyundai is now trying to wash their hands off as they would have to bare the registration cost as well of the new car, if replaced.

Last edited by manson : 2nd August 2018 at 18:57.
shravan2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post

Major problem starts now
1 - Within a week, we could hear engine missing noise (slightly crude noise) between 1800~2100 rpm. Verna gets dropped at the service center.
The most lame thing i have ever heard off by any service center - Sir you mixed kerosene with diesel, which is the reason behind the noise (Why would someone add Kerosene in his 16 Lakh rupee car). My friend and his father had to raise their voices and the service center cleaned the tank and gave us back.
2 - Next week and the car is again at the service center. This time the service center acknowledges the noise problem and escalates it to the company. A person from Chandigarh attends and tells that the injector assembly and injectors have been changed. The noise came down by 10% and not much change could be experienced.
3 - Another week and we visited the service center. After complaining and raising our voice, we got to know that in our previous visit, only injector assembly calibration and pressure pump cleaning was done, nothing was changed.
Seems like adulterated diesel was filled which created the issue , since hyundai is replacing with new engine then there should not be any issue. I have been driving the verna 1.6 d remapped since 3.5 years and there has been no issue. I am also from faridabad, please try to fill diesel from thomson press petrol pump. I have made a habit to fill all my cars from thomson press or bata chowk petrol pump on weekends. I drive everyday to gurgaon and i never fill from any other bunk.

Quote:
No other issues. No accident, it is a brand new car. Changing the whole engine is not a small task. I am from the automobile industry as well. Do you think the fitment will be as good as a car which has just rolled out of the plant? Even if you open the door pads, it would never be the same as factory fitted door pad.

Secondly, the car is faulty from day 1. On the other hand it is not just a small part that would changed. The whole engine block would be changed. It ain't a small thing as compared to a small part.

My car met with an accident , where engine was taken out and fitted back at 10k kms. There has been no issues till date and my remapped car has clocked 59k kms. This is not a big task to replace engine , as new engine will come from the factory.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2018 at 08:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Safari_Beast is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would say you are lucky to have the company acknowledge and offer a brand new replacement engine. Grab it and close the deal with some extended warranty and other freebies thrown in. Honestly replacing whole engine is not a big task as long as it is fully assembled piece from factory. Half a days job at a dealership.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd August 2018 at 18:20.
Jaggu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Seems like adulterated diesel was filled which created the issue , since hyundai is replacing with new engine then there should not be any issue. I have been driving the verna 1.6 d remapped since 3.5 years and there has been no issue. I am also from faridabad, please try to fill diesel from thomson press petrol pump. I have made a habit to fill all my cars from thomson press or bata chowk petrol pump on weekends. I drive everyday to gurgaon and i never fill from any other bunk.

No. The lame excuse that the service center gave about kerosene was false. They tried to wash their hands off. If that is the case, all engines in NCR region needs to be changed as Diesel is adulterated at 90% of the pumps. Secondly adulterated Diesel is too common, if this is the case, maximum NCR based cars would be in the service centre for engine replacement.
Even I have a 4 year old Verna diesel which is 1.25 lakh km run. No issues at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would say you are lucky to have the company acknowledge and offer a brand new replacement engine. Grab it and close the deal with some extended warranty and other freebies thrown in. Honestly replacing whole engine is not a big task as long as it is fully assembled piece from factory. Half a days job at a dealership.

That would be the last solution to accept. I just want to know if their are others with New Verna with such problem?

Last edited by manson : 2nd August 2018 at 18:57.
shravan2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
No. The lame excuse that the service center gave about kerosene was false. They tried to wash their hands off. If that is the case, all engines in NCR region needs to be changed as Diesel is adulterated at 90% of the pumps. Secondly adulterated Diesel is too common, if this is the case, maximum NCR based cars would be in the service centre for engine replacement.
Even I have a 4 year old Verna diesel which is 1.25 lakh km run. No issues at all.

It can be one off case that there might be huge mixing which resulted in the issue, it can be engine problem as well from factory like one teambhpian has engine problem with brand new toyota innova.

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 2nd August 2018 at 18:38.
Old 3rd August 2018, 13:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1. I own 2017 Honda City ZX CVT. I observed some noise coming form the front and this noise when driving from a cold start. I contacted the GM Service of Linkway Honda in Mumbai. They also took videos and diagnosed some issue with a part of the engine - sorry I dont remember where was the problem exactly. They could have repaired or replaced that part of the engine but offered to replace the whole engine (My car was 9 months old then). With a lot of skepticism, I decided to go ahead. It was a good decision and there is absolutely no issue after the replacement. Initially, I also thought that how can I replace the engine of a new car but then I guess it was the best thing to do.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Hyundai should replace the car with a new one given that the engine issues are from the factory. If it was a fuel issue, why would they agree to replace the engine?

I agree with the posters that getting a new engine is better than them repairing the current one. Ask your friend to just go with the new engine. It is not rocket science to fit it. Just ensure the new engine comes straight off the assembly line
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Might I ask what your role in the industry is? Even during production, the drive-train is bolted on by workers at the factory it isn't rocket science that involves some out of this world sealing techniques done by robots or anything as such. As for door pads, again, the doors don't come manufactured from the steel press with pads already on them. They are all inserted in and if you have noticed any discrepancys with things like door-pads it might just be that they were not removed and refitted properly by you or whoever you have had it done by. There are elements of a car that can never be done the same way like paint, body panels, etc but this is not one of them my friend. There is no reason for you to worry.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:55   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

To me, factory fit is factory fit. If this happened to my brand new car, I'd be pissed as hell too. @ Shravan, keep fighting, keep escalating and you might get a fresh new car. Don't give up easily. Try for a bit longer. These are all negotiating tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Seems like adulterated diesel was filled which created the issue
No chance. If it was adulterated diesel, Hyundai wouldn't offer to replace the engine. It's a defective motor from the factory.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 18:02   #13
BHPian

Re: Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Might I ask what your role in the industry is? Even during production, the drive-train is bolted on by workers at the factory it isn't rocket science that involves some out of this world sealing techniques done by robots or anything as such. As for door pads, again, the doors don't come manufactured from the steel press with pads already on them. They are all inserted in and if you have noticed any discrepancys with things like door-pads it might just be that they were not removed and refitted properly by you or whoever you have had it done by. There are elements of a car that can never be done the same way like paint, body panels, etc but this is not one of them my friend. There is no reason for you to worry.
Well put! A new engine is not a deal breaker here and fitting it is not rocket science. Some things like chassis, paint finish, ...etc are all best when factory fitted
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:35   #14
BHPian

OT: Had this been a Tata, Fiat, Skoda majority of reactions would have been quite opposite.
S.MJet is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:46   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
OT: Had this been a Tata, Fiat, Skoda majority of reactions would have been quite opposite.
I agree with you completely. A majority of people have a mindset that these companies deliver products of lower quality. In India, most of the people are unaware about the automotive industry and hence believe that the cars which we see in large numbers on the roads are better than the others.
_nitink_ is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed