Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Why isn't anybody talking about Civic on TeamBHP now?

Is Honda Civic a flop among most performance oriented TeamBHPians?

There was a lot of hype initially about the Civic launch but since then it has dried up completely.

After the disappointment caused by the next generation Honda City (NHC as we call it), I thought that Civic would soon become the spirtual successor to the Old City??

The initial reviews were very good. Then why aren't any performance enthusiasts buying it??

Nor have I seen any seriously modded Civics in any of the threads considering that the Civic is quite famous worldwide for serious mods.

Is it because it is too expensive? Or is it another disappointment from Honda for the Indian car enthusiast?
Old 31st December 2006, 18:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You rarely see expensive cars like the Civic, Octy modded. These are the only two cars that in my opinion deserve to be worked upon

The Octavia is a few years old and yet, how many modified Octys do you see ?? Hardly any. here, we have only one that I remember (Autopsyche's RS).

The civic is just a few months old...give it some time and you will see people experimenting.

I guess the main thing is when people spend 10+ lakhs on a car, they dont want to risk it by modifying it.
Old 31st December 2006, 18:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is Pete's RS as well. And if i'm not wrong, "Madmonkey" has a deadly RS too (with pete's box i guess).

The Civic is still new and the OHCs aren't showing any let down in terms of modifications. When there's a cheaper alternative, why would someone tamper with the more expensive Honda?

PS : As we speak, one lucky "team-bhp" OHC is getting modified to an extent, other OHCs can only dream of.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 31st December 2006 at 18:38.
Old 31st December 2006, 19:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

salilpawar1,

A majority of the people who are capable enough to purchase this segment cars, I've found, are of the age group that may not necessarily be oriented toward performance rather than a chaffeur-driven ride. That leaves the large part of remaining % of owners in the more-conducive age group that are capable of performance orientation - but wont do it; since they wouldnt necessarily be hands-on performance addicts. That really leaves a miniscule % of the owner group who're one of us - but the Civic is new enough to not have expired its warranty period - therefore, apart from cosmetic changes such as wheels, you wouldnt find any truly modded Civics, yet.
Old 31st December 2006, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

In out T-bhp kolkata meet, we had a test drive of the civic. All of us were unanimous about the fact that the Civic did everything right, but somehow the car did not appeal to anyone in the group.

cos for a similar amount of money all of us would have gone to the Skoda dealership
Old 31st December 2006, 23:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Is Honda Civic a flop among most performance oriented TeamBHPians?

There was a lot of hype initially about the Civic launch but since then it has dried up completely.

After the disappointment caused by the next generation Honda City (NHC as we call it), I thought that Civic would soon become the spirtual successor to the Old City??

The initial reviews were very good. Then why aren't any performance enthusiasts buying it??

Nor have I seen any seriously modded Civics in any of the threads considering that the Civic is quite famous worldwide for serious mods.

Is it because it is too expensive? Or is it another disappointment from Honda for the Indian car enthusiast?
@ nikhilb2008 and the MAG,
Yeah... you both have very valid points. MAG's point makes more sense regarding the fact that most of the buyers are businessmen and of the CEO type whose cars are mostly chauffer driven.

But still I have not even a visually modded Civic. Not even a spoiler or stuff like that. Linkway Honda officially sells Mugen kits (most of them visual mods) but still not seen a single Mugen Civic. Since I stay in the Shivaji Park/Mahim area, (a stone's throw away from GTO's house and yet I have not met him even once ) many souped up cars come here, so usually I get to see many souped up cars quite easily. But I don't buy the Rs.10 Lakh theory. I see many modded Octy's (all new) with atleast visual mods (obviously can't comment what's inside the hood).

And a Happy New Year to all TeamBHPians!!
Old 1st January 2007, 00:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

About the Mugen Civic.... you know the cost ?? Supposedly, it costs 10-12lakhs ONLY for the kit.

And themag made a very valid point abt warranty...
Old 1st January 2007, 09:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
In out T-bhp kolkata meet, we had a test drive of the civic. All of us were unanimous about the fact that the Civic did everything right, but somehow the car did not appeal to anyone in the group.

cos for a similar amount of money all of us would have gone to the Skoda dealership
Exactly - I took a test drive while considering upgrading from the Vtec

Summary - nice but not naughty
Old 1st January 2007, 10:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly - I took a test drive while considering upgrading from the Vtec

Summary - nice but not naughty
Yup, it's not hardcore enuf. But, with a few modifications, that shuld be taken care of. We'l just have to wait and see.

Shan2nu
Old 1st January 2007, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

To add to what Planet Rocker said, the Civic felt like an elegant lady who's probably been-there-done-that but doesn't want to demonstrate that too readily.

No adrenaline surge for me, I certainly WASN'T impressed.......period
Old 1st January 2007, 11:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guess there is not many owners of the civic in this forum. whoever are , aren't very active.
Old 1st January 2007, 11:52   #12
BHPian

Honda Civic is almost perfect on most of the fronts. True, Linkway Honda does sell Mugen kits - spoiler costs close to 40K, side skirts / Front skirts / rear skirts costs close to 1.25 Lac !!! Sports Exhaust - 60K !!! etc Honda have priced themselves away from the competition in particular and the customers in general. The strastospheric cost of the ex-factory kits forbid any mods to be done by the regular user.
Old 1st January 2007, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Honda Civic is almost perfect on most of the fronts. True, Linkway Honda does sell Mugen kits - spoiler costs close to 40K, side skirts / Front skirts / rear skirts costs close to 1.25 Lac !!! Sports Exhaust - 60K !!! etc Honda have priced themselves away from the competition in particular and the customers in general. The strastospheric cost of the ex-factory kits forbid any mods to be done by the regular user.
My God, they're that expensive. How can an established auto major (or maybe the dealer) make such non-sense pricing?

40K for a spoiler? We get good spoilers at 4000-5000 bucks easily. And anyway, the Mugen spoiler is just a visual mod, as far as I know. Doesn't make any difference to the overall dynamics....

If I had that money, I would instead buy accessories from a local store which will come at 1/10th price and perhaps would have enough money left with me to buy an Alto or maybe even a Swift.
Old 1st January 2007, 16:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would instead buy accessories from a local store which will come at 1/10th price
Join the club - you and every one of us here.
Old 1st January 2007, 16:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Join the club - you and every one of us here.
What did you mean by saying that? i didn't get it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks