Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 13:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's AMT to debut on the new Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think it will. In a lot of semi urban areas, maruti and hyundai are the only two players (with tata). The most popular car there is an Wagon R or Alto. These two models will take the maximum hit with the Celerio due to the santro AMT.
Let us see; I will reassess my prediction once I see the new Santro in flesh.

Wagon R is in a league of it's own. The new Santro may eat littlebit into the share of Celerio in urban areas IMO. It may also pull some of the volumes of Grand i10.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 10th August 2018 at 13:53.
Old 10th August 2018, 16:40   #17
BHPian

Would have been pleasing if Hyundai put in torque converter units at scale and started pricing automatics better. That would help in economies of scale and allow them to have more torque converter unit sales and consequent lower prices
Old 12th August 2018, 08:13   #18
BHPian

I have a friend working in Shell. Shell have been contacted by Hyundai some time back reagrding a particular Auto Transmission Fluid which is approved by Hyundai in Korea. They said it was for the new Santro! AMT doesn't require ATF. Justthe regular MT oil. So are they really bringing AMT or a full blown AT like Grand i10? Or maybe both with different engine options?
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 08:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

I hope that even if Hyundai do decide to debut their AMT box with Santro, they keep it limited to their cheaper offerings only. Maybe the Santro, Gi10 and Xcent. i20 onwards demand atleast a CVT.

The 4 speed AT Hyundai uses in Gi10 (I guess it's the same one they used in old Santro / i10 / i20 / Verna) is a pleasure to drive from refinement perspective.

I have driven over 94K kms in my i10, and it has negotiated everything from stretches of foxholes collectively called roads to butter smooth NH - without any complaints. Perhaps it was best suited for i10 whose light weight ensures that if required, one can sprint between stoplights ahead of the pack.
Only fly in the ointment is the FE (or the lack thereof) hovering around 12-13 kmpl averaged out.

But guess times call for removal of TC boxes from budget cars, all we see around are AMT & CVT.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think an AMT will suit a Hyundai (or VW) because of the brand's focus on quality
Conventional ATs have a greater power loss than AMTs. (Although the gap is being closed in the last 10 years) The performance will be terrible with small engines.

Quote:
The Grand i10 and up are available with torque converters and that should stay. Although I'm sure Hyundai will be tempted to simply bolt an AMT onto the diesel i10 & i20, they should consider Honda's success with the Amaze Diesel CVT first. There is definitely a market out there for smooth ATs.
You read my mind. Conventional ATs are so much smoother, I don't think I can drive a jerky AMT.

Quote:
Could they also plonk their triple-cylinder diesel? IMHO, they should.
I disagree here. The Maruti celerio was a failure and this segment has fuel-efficient cars.

With diesels being banned, I see no market for small diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Didn't the Santro Xing have an automatic version
Yes, a friend swore by the car. It was superior to a WagonR AT which had 3 speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
AMT doesn't require ATF. Just the regular MT oil. So are they really bringing AMT or a full blown AT like Grand i10?
AMT is the same MT with a hydraulically operated clutch and shifters. There's no requirement for a special transmission fluid. So, you've confirmed an AMT.
I think it'll mostly be an AMT for the reasons of cost and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I hope that even if Hyundai do decide to debut their AMT box with Santro, they keep it limited to their cheaper offerings only.....Gi10 and Xcent

The 4 speed AT Hyundai uses in Gi10 (I guess it's the same one they used in old Santro / i10 / i20 / Verna) is a pleasure to drive from refinement perspective.
I love the 4 speed on the Gi10. I think it's one of the best out there for small engines. I'd prefer Hyundai restrict the AMT to Santro, Eon and diesel i10/Xcent.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th August 2018 at 08:49.
Old 12th August 2018, 09:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

AMT is the same MT with a hydraulically operated clutch and shifters. There's no requirement for a special transmission fluid. So, you've confirmed an AMT.
I think it'll mostly be an AMT for the reasons of cost and power.
I've not confirmed an AMT. Rather, quite the contrary. I'm saying that as Hyundai is lookong for an ATF, it would be for a TC Automatic as AMT wouldn't require it
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks