Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Re: July 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Observing with a critical eye
- Freestyle numbers are steadily falling. Sales are down by almost 1000 units since launch.
- Same with Nexon. Down from high 4000's to 3000's now. Brezza AMT has a hand in this decline. Introduction of AMT on XM variant should mitigate the blow hopefully.
- What's up with Duster? Sold just 587 units against 1165 a month ago. Is a facelift around the corner?
Old 7th August 2018, 20:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
9. Only 29 Fiat cars dispatched last month. 2 are Abarth here. Did Fiat completely stop the production? Long Honeymoon period of Compass is over. Jeep is offering attractive discounts / offers now.
Thanks for great analysis. Jeep sales are declining every month. The situation will be worse will new launches for competitors next year. They have to do something. By the way What discounts Jeep is offerings currently?

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2018 at 20:45. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 7th August 2018, 21:37   #18
BHPian

Difference between Toyota and Tata Motors / Mahindra is around 4,000 units (approx). With the rumoured Toyota agreement with Maruti, of around 20k - 25k re-badged Balenos a year (approx 2,500 units a month), the Japanese giant will be closing in on its Indian counterparts.

But that's like cheating in an exam to score more marks! The agreement almost feels like Toyota accepted failure and has gone to Suzuki for help.

All Nissan dealers, across India, together have sold 533 units and 2249 Datsun units. Total of 2782 units. Just a perspective on the extent of bleeding by Nissan's dealers.

Only Honda seems to be improving in India (at least amongst the Japanese makers). Their Amaze seems to have hit it off with Indians. 10,000+ units.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2018 at 17:42. Reason: typos
OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 22:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
But that's like cheating in an exam to score more marks! The agreement almost feels like Toyota accepted failure and has gone to Suzuki for help.
It's almost a win win situation because the Corolla will go to Maruti Suzuki and if the partnership does well, what's to say the Innova and Fortuner won't! It should take care of Maruti Suzuki's premium aspirations and Toyota's mass aspirations. It should be very interesting moving forward.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 23:25   #20
BHPian

It is really strange to see that Skoda Octavia is not even selling 300 cars a month, but still the car is on a 3 month waiting list! What gives!?

Either Skoda takes a really long time to assemble the Octavia or they just make smaller numbers and keep customers waiting to give a false impression of demand so that they can justify the higher premium pricing.
mathuranuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 10:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
It's almost a win win situation because the Corolla will go to Maruti Suzuki and if the partnership does well, what's to say the Innova and Fortuner won't! It should take care of Maruti Suzuki's premium aspirations and Toyota's mass aspirations. It should be very interesting moving forward.
Maruti's Corolla won't sell, but Toyota's Brezza would. It is a win for Toyota, not Maruti.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 10:57   #22
BHPian

Interesting trends this month.

I have noted a few "perhaps, first time ever"s in this chart,

1. Perhaps, highest sale of the Captur, ever.
2. Perhaps, lowest sale of the Duster, ever.
3. Perhaps, lowest sale of the Ciaz, ever (though understandable for the upcoming facelift).
4. Perhaps, highest numbers of the Amaze, ever.
5. Perhaps, lowest number by the Jeep Compass, ever.

I will be happy to be proven correct in respect of +ve sale numbers and wrong in case of –ve Sales numbers.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 11:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Maruti's Corolla won't sell, but Toyota's Brezza would. It is a win for Toyota, not Maruti.
Let's see how it pans out. Surely a partnership of such mammoth levels would have been extensively thought of by the companies.

LINK to article announcing the partnership
Old 8th August 2018, 12:18   #24
BHPian

Am impressed that the Amaze has sold almost 30,000 cars in 3 months and also that there has been no impact on the City!

If anything the new Amaze may take sales away from the Verna as I feel it has a more spacious backseat compared to the Hyundai.

Am dumbfounded at the Creta's success, what a super duper hit !!

Would Honda have managed to find 2000-3000 customers for the HR-V every month if had been launched? I am quite sure they would have.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 12:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
S-Cross face lift has really worked out for Maruti.. 5k + sales.
While it is true that the S Cross is selling much higher than what it was before the facelift, I think crossing the 5K figure is due to non-availability of Ciaz this month. The Nexa sales guys would have pushed customers to the S-Cross given that the Ciaz is not available. So the numbers would possibly reduce post Ciaz facelift to < 5K figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Too early to predict - its not just the end sales figures of the models, I guess this is more like a long term partnership where Toyota will share its technological advances with Maruti which may include technology related to Electric/Hybrid Vehicles as well.

If that happens, Maruti can bring in affordable EVs in the small car segment where Toyota does not play and blow the competition away. Maruti will save lots of money on R&D as well.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 12:33   #26
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the data!

Some interesting trends here:
- Maruti seems to be unstoppable. All of their new launches are going gangbusters, the Dzire, Swift, S-Cross as well as the WagonR, Alto etc.
- While Hyundai is still holding onto their 2nd place, their Elite i20 & Creta facelifts haven't seemed to receive the same acceptance that Maruti's launches have. Infact, sales of both these models are trending down; the i20 routinely used to sell over 12,000 units, and this seems to be first time I recall seeing Creta sales down on a YoY basis. Don't think their constantly increasing prices are helping either!
- Honda has hit a homerun with their new Amaze - 10k units! The WR-V continues to do well and is making up for the City's comparatively lackluster sales
- Tata is doing an excellent job with their Nexon, Tiago & Tigor. Hexa sales do not reflect the quality of this vehicle, but it is unfortunately competing with the formidable Innova in pricing and Tata still does not have the brand to compete here. The Hexa is probably due for a refresh soon which should boost sales.
- Toyota continues to be a SUV/MUV player. The Yaris doesn't seem to have impacted C2 sedan sales much and not sure it will be a sustainable product with sales of 1,200 - 1,400 units.
- Ford seems to be the most successful foreign non-Asian auto manufacturer. They have understood the local market the best, and the facelifted Ecosport is doing well, alongwith the Freestyle. Hoping that the facelift Aspire & Figo are more in-tune with the Ford legacy of solid, well handling vehicles.
- VW & Skoda continue their lackluster operations. Don't think we will see any large gains here until the new products scheduled for 2020
- Jeep's honeymoon seems to be over. MoM drop in sales and discounting at the dealer's seems to indicate that local acceptance has not hit critical mass levels. Surprising given the excellent product. Maybe the diesel automatic will kick-start sales in the domestic market. However, with their focus on exports, Jeep can continue to operate in the country with the Compass selling in large numbers overseas.
- Fiat should just shut operations. Sales number are an embarrassment! The excess capacity at Ranjangaon should instead be allocated to the Tata's to manufacture their upcoming SUVs

Overall, the Indian auto sector seems to be doing well despite some hostile government policies (GST Cess) and lack of infrastructure. Awaiting Peugeot & Kia to enter the mix as well!

Last edited by phoenixash : 8th August 2018 at 12:35.
phoenixash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 13:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
There is no slowing down for Maruti, their market share keeps increasing and this time minus Ciaz they still managed to take 53.35% of the market share.

Also, Swift + Dzire @ 45,640 conveniently beats the second placed Hyundai which is @ 43,481.

Freestyle is probably the only car in its segment(Cross) doing better than its actual hatch model.

Jeep numbers is on a downward trend, they should bring-in new models to sustain in this market. Else its going to be the same story as Fiat.
When I look at the comfort that Indian customers derive in numbers I feel sorry. The build quality of competing brands is so much better. The feeling of security is such a great aspect of the Maruti brand
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 13:52   #28
BHPian

I have one question regarding the market share graph which shows 66% Japanese cars sold . My point is, as Maruti Suzuki is a venture between Indian investors ( after government of India sold it's stake )and Suzuki in the tune of 44:56 %, then why shouldn't 44% cars out of total sales of Maruti Suzuki for a month should be considered as Indian origin ? or domestic as per the graph ?
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 13:53   #29
BHPian

Freestyle cannibalized Figo to reach at those numbers.
I wonder what other manufacturers have to do to beat MSIL. Being a brezza owner, I can confirm that Ecosport & Nexon are far superior products than Brezza however even both combined miserably fail to beat Brezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
I have one question regarding the market share graph which shows 66% Japanese cars sold . My point is, as Maruti Suzuki is a venture between Indian investors ( after government of India sold it's stake )and Suzuki in the tune of 44:56 %, then why shouldn't 44% cars out of total sales of Maruti Suzuki for a month should be considered as Indian origin ? or domestic as per the graph ?
It would become unnecessarily complicated to track down shareholders of each company, find their origin country & prepare chart accordingly. For the sake of simplicity, one should consider controlling entity of company as the owner of the company & use their origin.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 8th August 2018 at 13:57.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Being a brezza owner, I can confirm that Ecosport & Nexon are far superior products than Brezza however even both combined miserably fail to beat Brezza.
That's an honest confession. Guess it takes Lot of time to change Perceptions, Mindsets and Attitudes.

For example a colleague of mine opted for the Honda Activa even when he confessed that he had liked the TVS Jupiter more after taking its test ride. Why? Simply because it was "Activa".
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks