Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 18:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization

Due to the growing demand for the Tiago and the Tigor, Tata Motor's Sanand facility has reached 100% capacity utilization. The factory manufactures all variants of the Nano, Tiago and the Tigor. Tata is now looking at increasing the production capacity of the plant.

Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization-tatazica02.jpg

Set up to manufacture just 1 model in 2010, the facility now produces a total of 21 variants of cars with 150 vehicle combinations. It also produces the Revotron 1.2L petrol engine, Revotorq 1.05L diesel engine, 624cc MPFI petrol engine and the 1.2L NGTC petrol engine. Tata's first electric passenger vehicle, the Tigor EV is also produced here. More electric cars are expected to roll out from the facility.

Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization-2017tatatigor07.jpg

The Sanand facility, which is spread over 1,100 acres, has more than 190 robots and uses 30-35% renewable energy. The plant has also seen an increase of 80% in the number of employees over the last 2 years. 4,50,000 units have been manufactured since 2010 and the number is expected to cross 5,00,000 units in October 2018. The facility has been rated WCQ Level 3 in quality standards and has been awarded the CII's GreenCo Platinum Certificate, which makes it a zero discharge plant.

Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization-image-3.jpg

In July 2018, Tata sold 8,009 units of the Tiago and 2,269 units of the Tigor. Meanwhile, only 50 units of the Nano were sold.

Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization-image-7.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 7th August 2018 at 18:58.
ChiragM is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 18:59   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization

Is this the same plant that was started after troubles in Singur? If so, quite a loss to West Bengal.
ajayclicks is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Is this the same plant that was started after troubles in Singur? If so, quite a loss to West Bengal.
Yes.
This is what happens when myopic leaders undermine the people's interests.
Quite a loss actually.

With new launches in the pipeline, this plant will play a key role in the turn around for Tata Motors.
speedmiester is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 03:09   #4
BHPian

More importantly, this plant highlighted the geographical advantage of Gujarat to other automobile manufacturers. After Tata, Hero, Suzuki Motors, Honda and Ford set up plants there. Also, there are a number of Tier-1 and 2 suppliers who started their operations from this belt.
MaxTorque is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 08:30   #5
BHPian

I personally feel utmost satisfied seeing this news.
Our blood and toil (right from the green field stage when barren land when allocated to Tata Motors) is now finally being converted /utilized to reap complete benefits.
I still remember how we struggled to reach the 60 JPH(Jobs per Hour) conveyor speed in assembly line and planned all the parts feeding to that rate, 8 ~ 9 years ago.
We had completely diverse team with wonderful mix of talents and enthusiasm.

All the Very Best TML!

Regards,
Maverick79
(Ex TML)
Maverick79 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 09:57   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is seriously the best comeback Tata could give to West Bengal politicians - well done!

I remember the time when there were reports of how under-utilized this factory was, thanks to the Nano's flop show. In a way, Sanand's turnaround also showcases Tata's; the Tiago is a smash-hit. As the saying in the auto industry goes, there is no problem that a good car cannot solve.

Congrats to Tata & to our Hon'ble PM who played a substantial role in bringing this factory to Gujarat.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2018 at 09:58.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors' Sanand factory reaches 100% utilization

What can I say, Bangla's loss is Gujarat's gain.

The (ex)factory at singur was beside NH2, about 2 hrs drive from my home.
Not only did the (then) opposition drive away TATAs, they used it as a tool to sweep the polls and come to power, and once in power, won a court case based on legal technicalities of land acquisition, blasted the 90% completed factory down with dynamite & returned the land to the former owners.

It is a mere coincidence (or is it) that there's a piece in a Bangla newspaper on the returned singur land that has mostly not been cultivated since the last 2 years.

https://www.anandabazar.com/state/si...state-new-stry
blackasta is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 11:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
I personally feel utmostly satisfied seeing this news.
Our blood and toil (right from the green field stage when barren land when allocated to Tata Motors) are now finally being converted /utilized to reap complete benefits.
I still remember how we struggled to reach the 60 JPH(Jobs per Hour)
I had interacted with one of the major suppliers who was responsible for relocating the nearly complete paint shop from Singur to Sanand. He was explaining to me how terrible it was when he saw the condition of the brand new equipment and accessories. A good portion of the new equipment which was imported from Germany had to scrapped and TML had to re-order them. It was partially due to heavy rains and floods during that period.

Also, 100s of trucks were deployed to shift the materials from there overnight with meticulous planning.
MaxTorque is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 13:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

More good news for Tata Motors fans - for the first time in a decade, Tata Motors passengers cars division is on the verge of making a profit. At 50% overall capacity utilization.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65316635.cms
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 14:19   #10
BHPian

I feel proud to have been a part of this wave a couple of years back. That struggle to commit production schedules of Nano for Sanand and negotiate prices was truely challenging. Seen many suppliers crumbling down and losing hopes out of Tata Motors financially and emotionally.

Now this! Filled my heart with happiness only for Mr Ratan Tata who has done what not for Tata Motors to stand firm after all the critics, Cyrus Mistry episode etc etc during critical times of Bolt and Zest launches.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 16:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
What can I say, Bangla's loss is Gujarat's gain.

The (ex)factory at singur was beside NH2, about 2 hrs drive from my home.
Not only did the (then) opposition drive away TATAs, they used it as a tool to sweep the polls and come to power, and once in power, won a court case based on legal technicalities of land acquisition, blasted the 90% completed factory down with dynamite & returned the land to the former owners.

It is a mere coincidence (or is it) that there's a piece in a Bangla newspaper on the returned singur land that has mostly not been cultivated since the last 2 years.

https://www.anandabazar.com/state/si...state-new-stry
Singur was near my wife's maternal birthplace. I felt immense pride and heartbreak respectively at the announcement and ultimate exit of TML from Singur. Let's just say that Bengal and Gujarat got what each deserved.

Kudos to TML and Sanand government and folks for sweating it out. Ultimately Gujarat benefits!!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks