Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 19:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?

Dear Ford India (in particular) and other Indian car manufacturers (in general):

Let me quote Edmund Burke for you.

Quote:

The Mirror

I look in the mirror
And what do I see
A strange looking person
That cannot be me.

For, I am much younger
And not nearly so fat
As that face in the mirror
I am looking at.

Oh, where are the mirrors
That I used to know
Like the ones which were
Made thirty years ago

Now all things have changed
And I'm sure you'll agree
Mirrors are not as good
As they used to be.

So never be concerned,
If wrinkles/extra flab appear
For one thing I've learned
Which is very clear,

Should your complexion
Be less than perfection,
It is really the mirror
That needs correction.
TEAM-BHP IS THE MIRROR.

Regards.
dailydriver is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:28   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Which brings me to the fanboys. Not just for Ford, but for any brand.
There you go again. In the same tone, can I call you, or anyone who is supporting the reason for this thread, a TBhp fanboy? Because you cannot accept another persons perspective and you expect each member to join the herd and clap hands to whatever is being discussed? Do you want everyone to agree to everyone? Then why have a discussion. Lets all sign a petition and send it to Ford.

I have been a member here for the past 12 years and still bother to read and comment because I appreciate what this forum stands for, and also because I love anything automobile. It is unfortunate (for me) that the car in discussion is a Ford. Does that mean Ford owners can't express their views? Now, if I didnt own a Ford, would you still call me a 'fanboy'?

Are you guys blinded (or want to ignore) so much that you cannot see what is being said about this thread on FB? They are ridiculing us. The very public whom we so proudly say holds TBhp in high esteem have ridiculous things to say. They are the public we are trying to reach out to with threads like this. There are 121 posts here in this thread before this post. There are 128 comments (so far) on FB by non members and general public about this thread. Please do bother to read them. It might help you to see why some members can have a different view point. So what public support are we talking about? Do you still think I am saying what I am saying because I am a 'fanboy'?

Please don't tell me those comments don't matter. That is what non-members actually think. Be realistic and try to accept other peoples views too. They may have a genuine reason to go against the general flow afterall.
SCORPION is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:40   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My heartfelt gratitude to you, justchells,
First off, justchells

As many have already posted, this forum is really a cult in the automotive industry. And huge kudos to all our mods who religiously and relentlessly ensure it stays that way.

Quote:
It takes a lot to trust someone with your new car.
Common GTO, every member on this forum knows the single biggest purpose of this community:

Love Cars, Live Cars

...and Im pretty sure any machine will be treated with absolute respect and love that it deserves.

- I would happily lend my 1.6 GT TDI to any reviewer on TBHP, if they want to pit it against the 1.5 GT TDI someday LOL
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:46   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Are you guys blinded (or want to ignore) so much that you cannot see what is being said about this thread on FB? They are ridiculing us.
I'm not on FB actively now - So i don't know whats going on there. But - can certainly assure you that this is not new. People have taken up every opportunity to ridicule the forum in the past as well.

If Ford is well within their rights to deny a car, as few members suggest - then TeamBhp is within their rights to announce that they were denied a car as well. Isn't that fair stance on either sides, even if you were to look at it from the other perspective?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:47   #125
BHPian

Pretty sure this is how it played out at Ford India's HQ.

Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?-fordmeme.jpg

Last edited by prateekm : 9th August 2018 at 20:52.
prateekm is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what public support are we talking about?
If one have been following this forum a bit more deeply, you will get to know that there are a hell lot of TBhp bashers out there just because they could not get through the selection process to join this community. They are all over the internet. Just a point I made, there could be others too who do not know what TBhp is really about, and others who think the manufacturer is almighty till they get to experience otherwise themselves.

Whoever says for or against Ford or TBhp, the bottom line is that it hurts the real fanboy in me when my manufacturer couldn't give a test drive, to anyone for that matter.

And for all the hurt this thread has created, I now think that maybe now we don't make it more salty for Ford, and close the chapter. We achieved what we wanted, to get a test drive car and to let know the public what has hurt us and what happened behind the scenes.
thoma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just heard that you & Vid6639 connected and realised that you are literally neighbours! What a small world. Thank you! This thread & you are a match made in heaven.

My heartfelt gratitude to you, justchells, and all other BHPians & guests who graciously offered us their brand new, beloved steeds. It takes a lot to trust someone with your new car.
Fantastic. Did Ford really think you could not get your hands on one?
How naive.

The unbiased reviews and indepth technical details you go into is the reason I forward a link of official reviews to anyone who comes to me asking for a suggestion on what to buy.

Keep it going.

That being said, FORD INDIA, dont panic, I have no doubt the car will be reviewed professionally and objectively as any other car is.

Us members however, have taken note of your behavior. That will stay with us.
Hatari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:59   #128
Senior - BHPian

Folks, you got the car. Brings out a beautiful community response that is precisely what I expect from TBHP. However the thread is degenerating into Ford bashing that's unnecessary.

Can this discussion please be shelved and then continued on the merits / demerits of the new Ecosport in an official review thread?

Disclaimer - OK I drive and like an out of production Ford now but I've driven other cars before, I'm not all that brand loyal - my next car is probably going to be a GT TDI I helped a friend choose.
hserus is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:02   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why is it that people find it difficult to accept that there may be some members who do not agree necessarily to what is being discussed in a thread? Let me assure you that people who don't agree with the subject and comments of this thread are not really bothered whether it is Ford or some other brand. I for one, made my comments in the interest of our forum and the entire TBhp community.
Hey I never meant that, infact I respect you for your honest post without any sugar coat. This is what the forum stands for and I do try to follow the same. Many a times I have disagreed with GTO's views, had healthy debates here and still friends lol. From my view point you are not a typical fan boy of ford, you like your vehicle like I do, and is quiet balanced with your opinion. Just wanted to clear the air

Quote:

Are you guys blinded (or want to ignore) so much that you cannot see what is being said about this thread on FB? They are ridiculing us. The very public whom we so proudly say holds TBhp in high esteem have ridiculous things to say. They are the public we are trying to reach out to with threads like this. There are 121 posts here in this thread before this post. There are 128 comments (so far) on FB by non members and general public about this thread. Please do bother to read them. It might help you to see why some members can have a different view point.
I am in no way ridiculing the influence of social media, but in this particular case I am not really bothered. Most of the ridiculing is by few who are cheesed off with Team BHP for whatever private reasons. Few are known folks to me personally. It is their way of venting it out, I would say taking pot shots. Yes others may not realise it and can affect Team BHP's image.

But honestly Team BHP is also in a way forefather of this social media thingie, forums as they were known those days. I am sure the comments posted on Facebook will soon fade away into the great FB archive and trolls would continue their discussion on something else we do. That is just the way the "social media" is, as long as we are clear about what we do and don't have any hidden agendas, we will come out untouched at the end of day.
Jaggu is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:16   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Apologies for the sarcasm, but apart from that I couldn't come up with any other reason for them to not give a car for review.
Maybe, and this might be a curtailed answer.. maybe they just didn't have a car or just couldn't spare a car. That might be as simple as it gets. I watch certain car reviews of American journalists on Youtube and a few have pointed out that they couldn't do reviews because the company didn't send them the car, they then reviewed the car after they got it several months later, or didn't review them at all. It happens, I'd assume.

However having been a follower of this website for a long time before I became a member, initially I fondly read the first bunch of reviews assuming they were cars from within the community, I loved it for that because I know that if a car comes from within the forum then reviews can be much more flexible in terms of getting to know and understand the car, and also since the company would've nothing to do with the car under review at all it made me all the more happy since they can't enhance the test cars (case in point one test car had under-hood anti-vibration cladding while the regular cars did not, it was caught by the reviewers all too quickly but still). Only later did I understand by reading the disclaimer that almost all of the reviews are of cars officially provided by the company with flight and hotel expenses borne by them as well. Team BHP reviews have always been neutral where required but also spared no type-lashing if a genuine defect was to be found.

Quote:
By the way, my inbox is flooded and we have had EIGHT EcoSport S variants offered to us (over and above 20 regular 2018 EcoSports). God bless this community.

And I'm least surprised by that, Bangalore can come up with almost any car that Team-BHP would need, heck even non-members might email you in due course.

I find it comforting that a member's car is being used for the review, because this forum is for the members, by the members.. I think continuing this tradition in future official reviews will make this website autonomous in ways that would shake up the industry upside down. Such power would make this place completely inaccessible for the brands and become a JD Power of sorts in India where brands will line up for extra recognition but only you have the power to choose to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I really wish that someone from Ford especially along with other manufacturers go through this thread from start till end. Just 8 hours it took for TBHP to get the car. And what did Ford get out of this episode - an egg on the face.
Again, I don't think Ford needs to be blamed for this.. every lack of opportunity leads to great change. I for one am happy that the car will be reviewed in any case. At the rate of growth of members in this forum, there is already great autonomy because we do know that almost all of the initial ownership reviews and long terms reviews are by the members.. if first reviews are of member cars as well then there is zero need for companies to give their test cars.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Some observations:
  • Ford will, after the expiry of its anger period, offer an S variant of the EcoSport to GTO.
  • GTO will graciously but emphatically reject the offer and go ahead with the review using our own car-s.
  • A few more people who were hitherto unaware of the forum will, because of Facebook and Twitter, visit the forum. Some will stay, others may not or cannot and hence will shriek, scream and shout out from the roofs that we are too elite by half. Either ways, we will win!
  • FB posts and tweets will fly around in support of both the parties, with equal vehemence and vitriol.
My take:
Let's just not lose sight of the fact that when two elephants fight, the underlying grass suffers a lot. Sooner we realise it, the better. Also that while we love to speak the truth, we don't necessarily hate who don't. True to the Mahatma's words, we hate the sin, not the sinner. Ergo, this thread is about Ford's act of denying a review car to team-bhp as also of forgetting the basic rules of courtesy and not, I repeat NOT about the company Ford per se.

Last edited by dailydriver : 9th August 2018 at 21:41.
dailydriver is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:45   #132
Senior - BHPian

So, the community finally has an S variant to review! Alls well that ends well. Looking forward for the review now, surely it will be a great one like always. Apart from the S variant which has the Ecoboost engine, there is also a Signature variant (but I think this one is a normal Ecosport with cosmetic changes). You guys planning to include that one also, as a comparison; in the review?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:50   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Option 2 (Buy): If no Team-BHP member or guest has the car we are looking for, Team-BHP will buy an EcoSport S for a very short period, complete its review and then sell the car off.
This reminded me of Top Gear US Muscle Car Trip where Richard Hammond bought the Dodge Viper, as it was denied for review.
However, Team-BHP has it's community.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 21:50   #134
BHPian

Meanwhile on my Google feed today.
The team-bhp thread was featured twice.
Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?-screenshot_20180809214102.jpg

Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?-screenshot_20180809214122.jpg
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 22:00   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I have seen one Ford Ecosport "S" Variant in our office parking lot.
I will see today if I can catch him. I will explain him about the situation and let you know about this.
My Apologies as I couldn't able to get car for Team-BHP review.

I couldn't find the owner in my office and hence placed a sticky note on his car to call me. He called me later this evening and I explained about what I was looking for. Unfortunately that guy has resigned the company and he is taking a break for 2 months and he will be out of town from this weekend. He needs car for during his break.
Anyway, now we have got lot of cars to choose from community, which is good.

One point I would like to make here is discussion should be "on topic". This thread was not to blame the Ford owners nor their cars. GTO himself mentioned in this thread and various threads that if he is given a chance to pick a compact SUV it's Ecosport. As a freedom of expression, whether it's Ford or Team-Bhp or you or me anyone can throw their views. Let's not question others views. Perspective is a beautiful gift. It's an opportunity to know that there are many ways to see the same thing.

Getting a new car for review is good for a mods so that they can write their unbiased review for community and others who are waiting for the review to be published. Just search and see how many people within community posts about "when will be the official review". It is for these people the community is fighting for. I personally think Ford should be using this situation to accept the mistake and move on. Especially, when Ecosport is selling in good numbers. Brand image/value is very important for manufacturer. It takes years to earn and a minute to loose.
Anyway the bottom line is, let's not get into attack mode. Express views and accept others views too. Do not prove others are wrong.
GRAND23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks