Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 22:16   #1
BHPian

"Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court

As part of its pollution reduction efforts and easy implementation of odd-even scheme in the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR), the Supreme Court has approved the plan for hologram-based colour-coded stickers that would indicate the nature of the vehicle -- petrol, electric, hybrid, diesel or BS-VI compliant.

The diesel vehicles plying in Delhi will have to paste orange stickers on their windshield, while petrol and CNG vehicles will have to carry blue stickers. The court also asked the ministry to consider having green number plates for electric and hybrid vehicles. The stickers will also have year of manufacturing of vehicles that will help authorities to spot vehicles that are not allowed to enter in Delhi.

The SC bench comprising justices S Abdul Nazeer and Deepak Gupta asked the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) to implement the use of coloured stickers on vehicles plying in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) by September 30.

The stickers will help the enforcement agencies to identify whether a vehicle is running on petrol or diesel. The agencies were finding it difficult to identify the vehicles as the diesel vehicles of more than 10 years and petrol ones of more than 15 years are not allowed to enter in Delhi.

The apex court is hearing a petition on air pollution in Delhi-NCR and had asked for suggestion to control pollution in the city. On July 23, the amicus curie advocate Aparajita Singh had suggested the bench that colour-coded stickers could be pasted on vehicles to give an indication of the nature of vehicle.

The amicus had said that such stickers, as used in Paris, would be more effective then having the "odd-even" vehicle rotation scheme in Delhi and it would also help in identifying older vehicles.

Link To the News: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65385759.cms
revvharder is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 23:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Cars in Delhi-NCR to carry colored stickers from October that would indicate the nature of vehic

What should people with older vehicles travelling to or via Delhi do park them out and travel in Ola.

Weird way's they find to inconvenience people.

Okay what is this obsession with Delhi/NCR for supreme court. Somehow every new rule that comes to tackle pollution seems to be limited there only. The region has an invisible moat. And it feels as if the court is more of administrator than the local authorities.

Or are there too many people filing PIL's there that rules are stopping to make sense?
indian21r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 05:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars in Delhi-NCR to carry colored stickers from October that would indicate the nature of vehic

I wonder when will they start focussing on implementation rather than dishing out new rules every now and then. We all know the PUC certificate scandal and how strictly it is enforced! This would just lead to another scam where people will either not comply or get fake stickers.

Also I wonder if they ever bother to learn from their mistakes. The Delhi government also realized that the odd even rule was not achieving its intended result and hence scrapped it. Even the courts had pulled its leg last time around on this. And now they themselves are dishing out new rules to achieve this road rationing policy. Wonder what secret data did they receive in this time to suggest that rationing of private vehicles is going to make a difference to the pollution levels.

Finally in the midst of all there PILs and judgements, how come no one is talking about returning that extra 5 years of road tax (+ interest) to the car owner who is now being forced to sell his car at the end of 10 years.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 08:11   #4
BHPian

I can visualise a sticker manufacturer laughing his/her way to the banks. Seriously I do not see any one other then the sticker manufacturers who can benefit from this rule.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 08:11   #5
BANNED

I think this will be going to be another huge scam. When the odd even rule was in action, we were supposed to put a CNG sticker on the windshield of our cars since CNG cars were exempted from this rule. I remember seeing many diesel cars with those stickers. All the details were verified for my Santro before I was issued that sticker. I don't know how these guys managed to get the stickers.
_nitink_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 10:05   #6
BHPian

And now some more overhead of getting those official stickers and the cops on the road fleecing us. Like HSRP plates. I fail to understand our implementation policies. Sad.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:40   #7
BHPian

As long as the legislature and the executive keep offloading their job (of making laws and rules) to the judiciary, these sorts of 'not-fully-baked' rules are what we will continue to get. What can be solved through and Automatic Number Plate Recognition system, linked to a VAHAN database, is instead being solved by inconveniencing the motorist (while also being prone to counterfeiting). And don't these stickers 'modify the transparency of the windshield', which the SC has ruled against?

Anyway, the Times of India reported recently that dust is a bigger contributor to pollution, compared to vehicle exhaust!

"Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court-img20180813wa0016.jpg

My rant is not against the judiciary - they are having to do something once a PIL is presented to them. It is the other two branches of the government which are inadequately resposive to India's changing situations and needs, across sectors.
vipul_singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 12:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

What is with the Supreme Court. What non-sense is this.

SC's affinity for poking their nose into business that they don't understand on one hand and Mr. Kejriwal as CM on the other makes for a very thrilling combination for Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
I think this will be going to be another huge scam. When the odd even rule was in action, we were supposed to put a CNG sticker on the windshield of our cars since CNG cars were exempted from this rule. I remember seeing many diesel cars with those stickers. All the details were verified for my Santro before I was issued that sticker. I don't know how these guys managed to get the stickers.
Exactly. Indians are known to do jugaad to flout rules; and NCR no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Anyway, the Times of India reported recently that dust is a bigger contributor to pollution, compared to vehicle exhaust!
Hey. Please don't bring statistics, rationale, science and facts into this argument. Or any argument in India.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 12:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Who exactly is in charge of issuing said stickers, and what's the enforcement plan to make sure people are using accurate stickers?

Isn't it a much better idea to implement such measures through standardized license plates? Color codes, year of registration, the whole shebang can be implemented and tracked that way.
Old 14th August 2018, 15:37   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: "Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court

I'm all for some kind of differentiation, but not a sticker. How about the number-plate? Number-plates can surely have some colour applied in a classy way on them - maybe a band on the side or top.

Green = EV / Hybrid
Yellow = Petrol
Red = Diesel
Black = 10+ year old vehicles (belonging to a different emissions era)
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 19:15   #11
BHPian

The fundamental disagreement I have is that this is completely based on years of ownership rather than pollution levels or other factors. Why is that ALL vehicles which are more than 10/15 years considered to be polluting? I have seen vehicles abused within a few years of ownership spewing all kinda smoke.

This kind of unscientific way of applying rules to our vehicles is causing more harm than good.

I can't see any light at the end of this tunnel.
Mad Max is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The fundamental disagreement I have is that this is completely based on years of ownership rather than pollution levels or other factors. Why is that ALL vehicles which are more than 10/15 years considered to be polluting? I have seen vehicles abused within a few years of ownership spewing all kinda smoke.

This kind of unscientific way of applying rules to our vehicles is causing more harm than good.

I can't see any light at the end of this tunnel.
My Scorpio was 9 years and 360 days old when the NGT passed the law banning 10 year old diesel cars. Had to make a distress sale of a perfectly fine car which I am certain polluted much less than an ill maintained taxi.

Now my very well maintained Fortuner has completed seven years and I am contemplating on further course of action.

Should there not be a provision to allow owners to replace their 10 year old engines with newer, more compliant engines?
RS90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

The legislature, executive and most importantly the Judiciary has absolutely no idea on how to tackle the problem of vehicular pollution in this country.
They come out with absolutely dumb rules every year that does nothing for the environment but fills the pocket of a few vendors entrusted with the task of fulfilling the order.
And nothing applies to the decades old sarkari Gypsies and Ambassadors still in use that what to say about a pollution certificate would probably not even be eligible for RC renew.
If things need to change both in letter and spirit those sitting on chairs in big offices and court rooms need to get themselves to the level of the common man and understand the gravity of the situation.

Last edited by bigron : 14th August 2018 at 21:27.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 17:18   #14
BHPian

What about other state's registered vehicle say UK or UP and are in Delhi? Legally one can keep them for a year
Old 15th August 2018, 17:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vats View Post
What about other state's registered vehicle say UK or UP and are in Delhi? Legally one can keep them for a year
I am sure, just like in Gujarat for the headlight yellow sticker, they will come out with this direction being applicable on all cars driving within Delhi. Anything else will not stay meaningful in Delhi due to the geographical location, with half the cars coming in from neighbouring states. Even the odd even rule was applicable on all cars. And so is the 10 year diesel and 15 year petrol car rule where also it is applicable on any car travelling on Delhi roads.

Most Viewed