Link
Venkatesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 19:20   #302
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata HBX spy shot reveal front design
Looks weird and seems to be a departure from the concept. The concept looked stunning and I was really happy when Mr. Bose said that this was 90 percent production ready. But this shot seems to suggest otherwise. For some reason, it looks an S-presso. Maybe it'll look better when it's officially unveiled, but for now, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Last edited by Babruvahanaaaaa : 15th December 2020 at 19:30. Reason: Corrected grammar
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:14   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
For some reason, it looks an S-presso. Maybe it'll look better when it's officially unveiled, but for now, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.
Oh please Babruvahanaaaaa! Call Tata whatever, but one can hardly say that any of their recent launches have been a non looker.

The SUV proportions look cartoonish the smaller they get, very evident from the S-presso or the Kuv100 for that matter. I am sure the launch product will look miles better than any of the competition.
shortbread is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 07:11   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks weird and seems to be a departure from the concept. The concept looked stunning and I was really happy when Mr. Bose said that this was 90 percent production ready. But this shot seems to suggest otherwise. For some reason, it looks an S-presso. Maybe it'll look better when it's officially unveiled, but for now, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.
I concur with what you say, but I believe its more to do with the angle of the photograph and the stickering playing spolisport. The A pillar and windshield look very ordinary compared to what was showcased at the Auto Expo. I find it difficult to believe that they have tinkered with the A pillar at such a late stage, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's wait till the product is launched, but I am not too happy with what I am seeing right now.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 08:51   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
but one can hardly say that any of their recent launches have been a non looker.
I am in no way a Tata hater. In fact I am the opposite, a fanboy. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not liking what I'm seeing now. I'm sure TaMo would have nailed it like always. Anyways, will keep further comments reserved till the full unveil.

Last edited by Babruvahanaaaaa : 16th December 2020 at 08:52. Reason: Corrected grammar
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:41   #306
BHPian

The only changes I can see compared to the Auto Expo vehicle are Headlamp design and Skid plate. The A-pillar is looking ordinary and different because it is covered in white camouflage. Black Pillars make cars look beautiful compared to white. And lastly, this being a base version (steel wheels) is making it look different than Auto expo HBX.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tata-hbx-2.jpg  

Last edited by Deepsp : 16th December 2020 at 09:48.
Deepsp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:29   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe its the angle of the photo in play here. It makes the windshield look more upright, reminding you of the S-Presso. If the recent TATA launches are anything to go by, it'll definitely look better than the competition.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan
Old 16th December 2020, 11:35   #308
BHPian

The front end is almost identical to what we have seen on the concept.

It's a tricky dimension(entry level cars) to bring in an SUVish looks, it will end up like a box in most of the cases because that's all what they have got to play with. But I am sure this will be miles ahead of the competitors as far the design is concerned.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:29   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Looks weird and seems to be a departure from the concept. The concept looked stunning... ...but for now, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.
As it is already stated in every T-BHP thread that design is a subjective thing, I understand people liking or disliking the design. But the more interesting part to note here is the wizardry manufacturers do in Auto Expo showcases of their cars:
  • Multiple overhead lights pointing down on a highly glossy and polished car with a bright body colour decidedly makes the cuts, creases and overall design more prominent and beautiful; but when we see it in photographs taken under direct sunlight everyone can’t help but compare it to those shiny shots from the expo.
  • Manufacturers darken the headlights and tail-lights giving them a more modern smoky appearance; and tint window panes of the showcase cars to compliment the floating roof design. Those cars aren’t road legal anyway, so this definitely increases the appeal.
  • Camouflaged cars decidedly look very ugly. The recent spy shots of the rear end of upcoming XUV500 looks as if some kid designed it as a stick figure, but we are yet to see the finished product and how the lines and creases come together so there’s that.
  • Funky alloys and “thiccc” chunky tyres. It is evident Tata and every other manufacturer goes gaga over their alloy designs in concept cars. The HBX had very prominent wheel arches showcasing very beautiful yet impractical alloys shod with very thick and almost off-road tyres. But this photo shows it sporting bland steel wheels with puny rubbers.
  • Lastly, when we follow the threads or news on an upcoming car for quite some time it loses the novelty factor for us and we start feeling as if there is nothing new in this one; that is, until we see it in person for the first time and the same feeling comes back.

Last edited by Dr.Mechanic : 16th December 2020 at 12:33. Reason: Formatting
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:52   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Typical of Tata - the production spec resembles concept quite a lot. Good to see the trend continue.

On the other hand - it was while looking at this picture that I realized for the first time - the front windscreen is almost F-L-A-T. Very minimal curvature to it. Interesting to see how it works out on the aerodynamics and wind noise management. Also - flatter glass is considered to be cheaper than a curved one. I don't know if its true of course - but that's what I have always heard. There is a minimal/no sun-shade on the top edge at all. Just a patch at the center to avoid glare on the head unit screen. It was the same way on the concept too. Just didn't realize it till now. Goes to show how attention grabbing the rest of the concept design is/was.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th December 2020 at 12:54.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 13:18   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Its mainly because of the Cammo. The Reason all these fake SUV even resemble an SUV design is because of the Black Plastic Cladding that you see along the bottom and around the wheel arches of most of these cars.
The skinny tyres that sit way inside the wheel arches also contribute to the tall MS Espresso "Malnourished" look

Remove the black cladding from these cars and almost all of them will look something like a KUV100 or Espresso.

If one looks closely at the bottom part of the the front bumper, it also seems to have lost some of the Butchness from the concept. The cladding has a slanting cut instead of a 90 degree one like in the concept( around the part where the fake skidplate exists in the concept.)
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:49   #312
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata HBX 5-speed MT interior spied

New spy images of the Tata HBX have revealed the interiors of the sub-4 meter crossover. The car seen in these images is the 5-speed manual variant.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20201215_130307.jpg

The dashboard layout looks similar to that of the HBX Concept. The centre console houses a floating touchscreen infotainment head-unit. The 3-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel is also identical to the one seen on the concept car.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20201215_130251.jpg

The spy images reveal the HBX's rather smart looking dual-tone alloy wheels and the unique teardrop shaped wraparound tail lamps. We also know that the front fascia of the HBX is heavily inspired by the Harrier. It has a slim grille flanked by LED daytime running lights and headlamps positioned lower down.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20201215_130313.jpg

The Tata HBX is likely to be offered with a 1.2-litre petrol engine producing 85 BHP and 113 Nm, while higher variants might get a turbocharged 1.2-litre motor. Transmission options might include a 5-speed manual and 5-speed AMT.

Thanks to Prajwal Narayan for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th December 2020 at 10:50.
TusharK is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:11   #313
BHPian

Some more from my side

Source : https://www.instagram.com/p/CI2JH-Ug...d=n3fn73a1kgi3
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-1608187275964.jpg  

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-1608187293921.jpg  

ATRONIX is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:57   #314
BHPian

Based on the spy shots, I have a fear - like same old story, new car, looks cool, great features, but only 5MT is available at launch and AT will come sometime in future. When will we have a consistent launch with all guns blazing - all Engine Gearbox options available right from launch itself.
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 15:17   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
..- the front windscreen is almost F-L-A-T. Very minimal curvature to it.
Good point - the key word being "almost". While there is some curvature, it could also be that the glass has less curvature due to the smaller size ? See last pic in the post by TusharK
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed