Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 17:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Mod Note: Our Tata Punch Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

As per this report from Economic Times, Tata is readying a Micro SUV to compete with likes of Mahindra KUV1OO & Maruti Ignis. Launch likely in 2020 or 2021.

Quote:
Tata Motors has advanced the launch of the X445, or the Hornbill, by a year from the previous plan of 2022.
Quote:
Mayank Pareek, president of the passenger vehicle division at Tata Motors, declined to comment on the company’s product plans, but said the opportunity for small SUVs was huge. “People who have been purchasing hatchbacks for years will be looking for an upgrade. India sells over 1million hatchbacks every year. Almost 58% of the owners replace their car every six years (and for them) the micro or small SUV becomes a good alternative,” he said.
Quote:
this model was initially to arrive in 2022, but Tata Motors has preponed the launch after relooking the segment.
The segment was pioneered by Mahindra’s KUV 100. Maruti Suzuki’s Ignis too falls in the same price range.
Quote:
The Tata Hornbill will ride on the Advanced Modular Platform, which will debut in the Tata 45X in CY2019 and underpin a mid-size sedan the following year.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatamotorsamp.jpg

Quote:
Though Tata Motors is working in various directions to meet the upcoming BS6 norms, a turbocharged petrol engine would make the X445 a costly affair considering its rivals and positioning. Instead, TML could offer the X445 with a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine, maybe a refitted Tata Tiago’s unit or a newly developed unit, along with manual and automated versions of the TA65 5-speed transmission.
Source

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Review link added
CarguyNish is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 19:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Tata is readying a Micro SUV to compete with likes of Mahindra KUV1OO & Maruti Ignis.
If the content and marketing folk at Tata have any sense, they'll want to weed out any comparisons with the Ignis. KUV is the perfect product to pitch it against, but not Ignis, and an extraordinarily easy one to beat....that is if it has any SUV-ish aspirations. The Ignis is a freaking Go Kart in the right set of hands.

Last edited by roy_libran : 20th August 2018 at 19:17.
Old 20th August 2018, 19:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
As per this report from Economic Times, Tata is readying a Micro SUV to compete with likes of Mahindra KUV1OO & Maruti Ignis. Launch likely in 2020 or 2021.
So if I am not wrong, in this AMP image, they have unknowingly leaked profile of upcoming 45X. I have seen latest prototype of 45X from very close and this profile is very much similar to that.

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2018 at 10:05. Reason: compacted quoted post
tushky is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Unless you are in dominant position like maruti, I don't think you can create and compete in so many market segments.

As I see, Honda is trying to leverage Amaze platform success by launching both Brio and now this new Small SUV on same platform to capture market share (while keep costs low) but I think unless they differentiate WRX and Jazz with bigger and better engines, these new products will cannibalize their existing portfolio.

With new Amaze honda offered a better "valued" product and are tasting success, they need to do the same for Jazz and WRX also, other than oodles of space these two don't look like "value" proposition to me.

Consumer in india does have spending power, if product offers enough "value".
Lovelydude77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors did give a glimpse of the Hornbill in their 45X and H5X launch video. There you can see it emanating from the 45X.

Attached Images

ashutoshb is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:40   #6
BHPian

Tata Motors have to play it really smart here. This is like jumping into a segment which has tasted only lukewarm success. They should not benchmark the Hornbill against the Ignis or the Kwid as it could lead to cost cutting to undercut them and they would have to compromise on quality which is where they are improving leaps and bounds. Instead, they could try to consider the Hornbill as a product which focuses on their Impact 2.0 design and AMP atchitecture and slot it right below the Nexon. Well, you might argue then it will obviously be an Ignis rival, but Tata Motors developing a product with their own new design philosophy in mind will more likely create a better car which could open a fresh new proper 'micro suv segment' than simply developing a car to compete with the KUV100 or the Ignis which are just vague attempts at anything to a 'Micro SUV' which they are trying to be desperately.

Tata Motors can really use this opportunity to create the first proper 'Micro SUV' segment by focusing on the main elements that fit the SUV bill.

- Proper SUV stance.
- High ground clearance
- Engines that focus on high torque output than efficiency. People who want efficiency can look at the Tiago/Tigor.
- Commanding view from the driver seat
- Space (may be the new AMP platform could help here)
- Larger 15 inches high profile tyres. (Maybe atleast standard on higher trims)

These are values that both the Ignis and the KUV100 simply lack.
karthick_b is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
So if I am not wrong, in this AMP image, they have unknowingly leaked profile of upcoming 45X. I have seen latest prototype of 45X from very close and this profile is very much similar to that.
Something like this? Was a difficult pic to work with, and my PS skills aren't great either. Just giving it a try.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatamotorsamp.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Something like this? Was a difficult pic to work with, and my PS skills aren't great either. Just giving it a try.

Yes. Good job. I think the car will have same silver Ceramic inserting under the windows similar to nexon. I am not sure but the test mule had similar design.
tushky is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:08   #9
BHPian

Just to add on Diesel engine , It will use Diesel 1.5 engine from Nexon with different turbo generating 90 HP for cost cutting. This engine will be used across the platform(AMP) Which will have Small hatchback, Small SUV, under 4 meter sedan.
dbaapps is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quite interesting looking at the upcoming Tata range. Especially the coupe'ish silhouette from the Omega platform (used for the Harrier as well).

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tata-range.png

Am I right in saying this will be the 'Hornbill'? Looks to me it might overlap with the Nexon!
Name:  tata hornbill.PNG
Views: 20805
Size:  67.7 KB
shortbread is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

This particular grab shows it in a better light. Shows the roof and grill clearer. I think it has a floating roof design. And the head lamps are below the DRLs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tata-hornbill.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:02   #12
BHPian

Render by Indian Autos Blog

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-161592.jpg

Source: Indian Autos Blog

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2018 at 16:31. Reason: Uploading image as attachment, adding source.
aditya79india is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:58   #13
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/161591.jpg

The first proper rendering looks more like a copy and paste of Nexon on the Ignis!
Hi, This render was made by me and yes I did use the Ignis as the base. This helps to make sure the proportions are right and to create a render quickly

If you are interested here is a video which shows the transformation. Hope you enjoy it.
SRK is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 12:31   #14
BHPian

Hi SRK. I'm an avid fan of your renderings. My post above was just an observation, but the work no doubt is of very high quality.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 16:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Render by Indian Autos Blog

Attachment 1797804

Source: Indian Autos Blog
Always find SRK designs to be very appealing. This one reminds me a lot about the Fiat Panda. It would a good idea for Tata to have a car in that category. A tall boy with ideal city proportions. Wished that Fiat would have got the Panda 4x4 to our shores but it never happened.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks