Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 10:46   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Tata could use the technical expertise of powerplant engineering consultants like Cosworth or Yamaha to spurce up their current petrol engines. I always feel like it's Tata's achilles heel. A good line up of cars let down by mediocre petrol engines.

When it comes to petrol power, I feel Tata still has to master the art of power delivery. They have come a long way no doubt, but perhaps it's time for fresh experienced eyes.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 11:06   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
here is a screen shot from its latest teaser tata is not marketing this one as a urban city car, i wonder whats the catch?

what do the experts have to say?

Attachment 2199028
Exactly my concern too. The recent video of the Punch going up the hill and traversing around with ease in the rough is making me think if this is a RWD or AWD?
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 14:12   #663
BHPian

So Tata has confirmed that Punch will not only look like an SUV but will have some SUV features too. Never expected this car to come with hill start assist, hill descent control and drive modes.

The off-roading video that surfaced of Punch left people guessing that is it RWD or AWD but actually it has the above features as confirmed by Tata.

Now I feel that this won't be a budget micro SUV anymore and the top model can cost approx 10 lacs on road.
Old 28th August 2021, 14:22   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
So Tata has confirmed that Punch will not only look like an SUV but will have some SUV features too. Never expected this car to come with hill start assist, hill descent control and drive modes.

The off-roading video that surfaced of Punch left people guessing that is it RWD or AWD but actually it has the above features as confirmed by Tata.

Now I feel that this won't be a budget micro SUV anymore and the top model can cost approx 10 lacs on road.
Exactly my concern though these feature start from Nexon base model itself.
So I think Punch might slotted below Nexon but only for models which lack these features?
Also there are rumours of the same engine as Nexon for top models so they maybe almost priced the same. Why would Tata undercut it's best selling product?
Old 28th August 2021, 15:00   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Exactly my concern too. The recent video of the Punch going up the hill and traversing around with ease in the rough is making me think if this is a RWD or AWD?
TATA has not deemed it fit to give a RWD based architecture for a product that took on the legendary Safari nameplate.

Besides, I don't even know if the AlfaARC platform was meant for anything other than FWD (senior members will know more).

This is just marketing fluff put out by guys who barely know the product they sell. Their job is to sell the concept/dream/aspiration to the end customer.

Since they need to differentiate this from the Altroz they will position this as the vehicle for young hip guys/gals to explore outside the city while they continue to showcase Altroz as the gold standard city slick hatchback to impress your friends at their parties.
JithinR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:35   #666
BHPian

Tata has launched the official website for 'Punch':

Tata Punch

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 07:09. Reason: As requested.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 21:33   #667
BHPian

Punch's rear profile which I received from a facebook group. It doesn't looks like a rendering and could be the real image.

Look at tri arrow lights!
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1630252812770.jpg  

Last edited by 5252rpm : 29th August 2021 at 21:37.
5252rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 22:11   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
could be the real image
Indeed, its an official image. Here is the teaser from Tata Motors.

Name:  SmartSelect_20210829220856_Twitter.gif
Views: 858
Size:  2.60 MB

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th August 2021 at 22:20.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 22:16   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punch's rear profile which I received from a facebook group. It doesn't looks like a rendering and could be the real image.

Look at tri arrow lights!
That rear has a very Nexon like vibe to it. The rear reflectors / fog lamps and the hatch door all look like a mini Nexon. I love it's looks, be it the front or the back. Waiting for this launch!
Old 29th August 2021, 22:38   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rear windscreen is too small, just see the window size and windscreen size!! Another case of form over function.
Old 30th August 2021, 00:31   #671
BHPian

It's going to be a FWD, obviously! I mean it's slotted to be priced below the Nexon so I don't see how/why will it be RWD or AWD.
Old 30th August 2021, 06:37   #672
BHPian

Faintly OT, but should they release this as an EV(instead of their stepchild Tigor), they could increase their EV market share to literally 90+%- they could be EMPERORS of the EV space. Seems logical also, as it's being seen as baby Nexon, and they already have Nexon EV as the most successful EV in India.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:39   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Faintly OT, but should they release this as an EV(instead of their stepchild Tigor), they could increase their EV market share to literally 90+%- they could be EMPERORS of the EV space. Seems logical also, as it's being seen as baby Nexon, and they already have Nexon EV as the most successful EV in India.
The Tigor is no step-child. It didn't sell well, but still manages 1500-2000 units a month. Selling the Punch as only an EV is exactly what Tata shouldn't be doing, given the higher costs and the lower demand. So, the petrol, turbo petrol, diesel (unlikely) and then the EV is the way to go.

The Nexon sold 10k vehicles last month. Only a tenth of them or lesser in EV guise. It will take a lot more time for the primary market to warm up to EVs.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:55   #674
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
should they release this as an EV(instead of their stepchild Tigor), they could increase their EV market share to literally 90+%- they could be EMPERORS of the EV space. Seems logical also, as it's being seen as baby Nexon, and they already have Nexon EV as the most successful EV in India.
It's definitely in the pipeline. The Altroz frame is getting EV upgrade for sure. Once they do that, making the Punch EV is fairly straightforward.

The Punch and Tigor are on different platforms. The Punch is more in the Altroz territory while the Tigor shares its frame with the Tiago.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:57   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Indeed, its an official image. Here is the teaser from Tata Motors.

Attachment 2199716

Link
Does anyone else feels it looks like kwid from rear
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20191012042617_2019renaultkwidrearacti.jpg?

The skid plate is a must if they offer it as an add on acc.

Also tata should start manufacturing conversion kits for its cars in the near future so that people who already own a tata car could easily convert to ev as soon as there is infra in 2nd tier cities especially.
Pramathyu is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks