Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 13:07   #286
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
More spy images are coming up. The alloy looks stunning.

Attachment 2091082

[/url]
I couldn't get away from the thought that the alloys look more like rounded swastika..
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:08   #287
BHPian

The car is really going to be one of the blockbuster of 2021. Magnite shows that sensible pricing for sub 4 metre suv is possible. If Tata can take some ques from Magnite, this is really going to sell. Best wishes to TML. Please ensure all feedback is incorporated. Maybe give it to the media and us at team bhp before the launch and take feedback beforehand.

Last edited by busydrive : 10th December 2020 at 16:10.
Old 10th December 2020, 16:50   #288
BHPian

Couple of queries, observations here regarding the new SUV being tested by Tata -

1) How will this be positioned Vis-a-vi Nexon, given both are sub 4 meter in length?
2) Will this only have a petrol engine?
3) Will the proposition from Tata work like what Korean cousins are doing by offering Sonet and Venue? Cars have same platform, similar parts but different styling and lot of Kit.

Some observations from the spy pics -

1) I seriously hope that this actually looks like a Baby Harrier, do not like Nexon's design - especially the back.
2) I hope that Tata sensibly increases the service interval to 10,000 Kms with this car. 7,500 kms is too little. My current steed (Vento TDI) has 15,000 kms service interval and I still have to visit service center twice a year in my current normal run. Going double of that is just a hassle.
Old 10th December 2020, 17:15   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorp_Knight View Post
Call me a negative Nancy, but at this point, I can bet that they are gonna screw up the engine department again by not offering the turbo at launch, if at all
They already are screwing up.
All rumours are pointing at the same damn NA 1.2l 3 potter.
The turbo and GDI versions if coming, will take time. So will the EV version.
And since this is positioned lower than the Altroz, no diesel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Couple of queries, observations here regarding the new SUV being tested by Tata -

1) How will this be positioned Vis-a-vi Nexon, given both are sub 4 meter in length?
2) Will this only have a petrol engine?
3) Will the proposition from Tata work like what Korean cousins are doing by offering Sonet and Venue? Cars have same platform, similar parts but different styling and lot of Kit.

1) I seriously hope that this actually looks like a Baby Harrier, do not like Nexon's design - especially the back.
2) I hope that Tata sensibly increases the service interval to 10,000 Kms with this car. 7,500 kms is too little. My current steed (Vento TDI) has 15,000 kms service interval and I still have to visit service center twice a year in my current normal run. Going double of that is just a hassle.
1) This is going to be an Ignis/Kuv100 competitor. So positioned below the Nexon.

2) Rumours point to just petrol and possibly EV variants.

3) Will be based on the Alfa platform, like the Altroz and all future models.
But won't have the Sonet/Venue situation.

1) Fairly expect it to be styled like the HBX concept shown before.

2) Think it will come with short 7,500km interval.
Don't know if it is TML's policy towards newer models or their way of making service centres happy.
Among newer ones only Tiago's service intervals has been increased. So can expect the HBX to have the 7,500km interval for a couple of years or more.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:14   #290
BHPian

Looks pretty much production ready. Maybe the second quarter of 2021. Could the turbo petrol that is supposed to be offered in Altros could also make it to this?

P.S: Should prepare for memes on Ignis, Freestyle and KUV
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:33   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
This looks production ready, excepting for the tiny rubber.
Noob question - how does one infer the production readiness from camouflaged spy shots? I have seen similar posts on other threads as well but can’t seem to understand what’s the trick here.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:46   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Noob question - how does one infer the production readiness from camouflaged spy shots? I have seen similar posts on other threads as well but can’t seem to understand what’s the trick here.
According to me, a production ready vehicle has everything in place, this means that the car would have the actual DRLs, LEDs and everything in place just like any car is supposed to look. A car that is going through testing would have some equipment attached and you won’t see diamond cut alloys on a vehicle that is going through testing, just basic steel wheels. They don’t put all the gizmos on a test vehicle.

Just to give you an example, the picture here is of a production ready vehicle. But the spy shots that are surfacing of XUV500 for example, are of a vehicle that is going through testing, well that’s my understanding.

Hope it helps!
Mat095 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 06:55   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Most probably TATA will launch this in May 2021.
Why Tata needs so much time for launch? Pratap Bose at this year's Auto Expo mentioned coming this year... anyways Tata has a knack of delaying launches.
Hopefully launch and media drives could be expected by Feb/March?
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post
According to me, a production ready vehicle has everything in place, this means that the car would have the actual DRLs, LEDs and everything in place just like any car is supposed to look. A car that is going through testing would have some equipment attached and you won’t see diamond cut alloys on a vehicle that is going through testing, just basic steel wheels. They don’t put all the gizmos on a test vehicle.

Just to give you an example, the picture here is of a production ready vehicle. But the spy shots that are surfacing of XUV500 for example, are of a vehicle that is going through testing, well that’s my understanding.

Hope it helps!
Very well explained, even the antenna is in place.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:24   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Has Tata taken an inspiration from Fiat 500 L or X? Looking at it Hornbill, I often think it might have been so.
About some members asking about why is it late to roll out in production, I think a couple of us have got to know that it's mainly due to supplier issues.
Old 13th December 2020, 14:45   #295
Senior - BHPian

Having the same platform as the Altroz, shouldn't it be able to have the option of carrying the same engines?

Which are, a 1.2L 3 cyl NA Petrol, a 1.2L 3 cyl Turbo Petrol and a 1.5 L 4 cyl Diesel.

Considering that Magnite doesn't have a diesel, an HBX Diesel will definitely have an edge.

But we haven't seen any diesel prototypes, have we?
Old 13th December 2020, 18:45   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Considering that Magnite doesn't have a diesel, an HBX Diesel will definitely have an edge.
May I know why is the magnite compared with the HBX rather than the Nexon? (I googled up the dimensions, and the magnite is 3994 mm long)
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:27   #297
Senior - BHPian

Because, it is also expected to be in the same price range as the Magnite.

The HBX is based on the same platform as the Altroz. It is carrying the same engines, same premium features, such as the TFT instrument cluster, cruise control, etc.

It is not going to be a beefed-up budget hatchback and will be a proper crossover.

The HBX is roughly six inches shorter in length, 2.5 inches wider and 2.5 inches taller than the Magnite.

Power figures of the HBX NA petrol and Turbo Petrol (if launched) are similar.

It is also safe to assume that the HBX will be slightly more premium (touch & feel, safety) than the Magnite.

If I am in the market for a sub 4 metre crossover, apart from Magnite, I will take a look at both Nexon and HBX.

In the chart below, I have taken Altroz prizes. Traditionally, crossovers are more expensive than their sedan/hatch siblings. So, in my opinion, HBX will cost a bit more.

Hope that I made sense.

Dimensions sourced from: link and link.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-hbx-vs-magnite.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 13th December 2020 at 21:37. Reason: Added data source.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:47   #298
BHPian

Truly the HBX has all the ingredients to be a success and will be a serious threat to the Magnite. It's based on the proven 'Alfa' platform, which underpins the Altroz and has secured 5-star crash rating. Its interiors also seem well designed with better quality. The only compromise would be the 15cm shorter length when compared to the Magnite.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:02   #299
Senior - BHPian

The HBX is expected to sit between the Tiago and Altroz. Initial reports say that it will be a petrol only offering. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but from the photos it seems to be smaller than the Altroz (interior space). It looks similar to the WagonR dimension wise, but much better put together. Hope it comes with a diesel automatic tranny too ! That would be one hell of a combo.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:43   #300
rpm
BHPian

Just came across this article. https://gaadiwaadi.com/2021-tata-hbx...ute-to-camera/
Any inputs as to what might have prompted such childish behaviour?
Is it a common occurrence in spy shots?
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatahbxspyshot121280x720.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed