Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:44   #526
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Name or no name if Tata manages to deliver a car this time niggle free it will definitely be a punch.

Edit: Mods can you pls include the name in the thread title, will help to search the "punch"

Last edited by ghodlur : 23rd August 2021 at 13:45.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:48   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

What's up with Tata ? First they messed up by using the Safari brand for the Gravitas, and now this name Punch.

Btw, will the owners of Punch be called Punch-er's Club ?

Tata's branding team looks to have a nice big puncture.
condor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:49   #528
Senior - BHPian

So it is a mini Harrier. Looks good IMO. Should do much better than KUV/Ignis as this looks much more proportionate and being a Tata should be at least 4* GNCAP. Pricing would be the key and this can bank upon the trust factor earned by Nexon and Altroz which are doing excellent in their segments. If this is priced well(highly likely) we can see it doing good numbers and TATA further sealing their position as No.3 in the market in terms of sales.

I don’t care about the name really. If Creta can sell , this is a much better name IMO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd August 2021 at 13:52.
SoumenD is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:50   #529
BHPian

Looks good and contemporary.

I guess there will be lot of customization options to attract young folks. I didnt like the name "Punch" though.

However, the lettering does remind me about "Punto". I guess Tata will offer same colors as the "Punch" letter coloring:
Dark Red, Grey, Hexa Blue, Reddish Orange, Light Blue and Tata Logo color (white).

Need to see the engine and power train offering. To keep the cost down and to deliver the KO "Punch", they will most probably offer the same engine as Tigao/Tigor twins in the first phase.

1.2 L 86 PS, 113 NM with 5 Speed and AMT.

It doesnt make sense to offer something new in your low cost car in the first phase as that will push up the cost and may not allow Tata to price it aggressively.

The 1.2 L does it job pretty well in the city, its peppy and has ample of low end torque. And has a pretty decent pull even for 4 people on board.

Its not a match for 4 Cylinder engines, but can be competitive if they make it smoother and reduce the vibrations further.

Imagine, college going people or who have joined the jobs recently, they will need a car to mostly drive around the city and to go for 2-3 hours of drive with 2-3 friends.

For them this makes pretty good sense.

Tata should price it between 4.2 L - 6.8 L to make it runaway success.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 23rd August 2021 at 13:52.
pk_del is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:51   #530
BHPian

The market will decide whether this will punch a hole in the segment with its excellent GNCAP ratings or will itself get 'Punch'ered due to niggles, reliability and frequent feature deletion issues which it will inherit from its parent.

I hope that Tata comes up with good amount of engine options and transmission during launch itself to keep interest alive from the first day of launch itself.

Overall looks good and unique in the segment where it is planning to compete with chances of numerous mod potential.
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:56   #531
BHPian

For me it looks like mini Nexon. Punch doesn't sounds punchy. However, the name gives a feeling that this is a punchy machine(something with lots of power). Easy to trick the non-enthusiast. Liked the overall looks. If they are ready with automatic variant from day one, then this will easily sell 5K per month.
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:08   #532
Senior - BHPian

Name 5 attributes that make this car pack a "punch". TML should launch a new teaser online quiz/Insta/FB video contest.

I dont know where the car will slot in though, because they also have a Tiago NRG for that urban crossover vibe!
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:13   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What's up with Tata ? First they messed up by using the Safari brand for the Gravitas, and now this name Punch.

Btw, will the owners of Punch be called Punch-er's Club ?

Tata's branding team looks to have a nice big puncture.
Get your pun but don’t you think cool owners would call it Fight Club?
KapilD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:13   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
The absence of front skid plates are making a world of difference. (See Image)

Naming will get used to, IMHO. See the font coloring, it looks like Poppins candy. But yeah, Polo was just a mint with hole until VW came.
True but not just the skid plate also the agressive lines around the headlamps and drls have been smoothed out. The concept had more character to it but it's still a looker. Looks buff!
The concept was wider than Nexon I think they also reduced the width a little.
I was hoping it would be named sumo but punch is also okay.
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:18   #535
BHPian

From a long distance view, this is appearing like Harrier and a closeup view will tell you that it has only the characteristic of both Harrier and Nexon (Now new elements). Am I the only one thinking so, or it is an illusion for me.
anumod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:20   #536
BHPian

Best selling accessory for this car would be an insect mesh or radiator protector. Hoping a random flying stone won't PUNCH a hole in the radiator.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-capture.jpg

Last edited by saikarthik : 23rd August 2021 at 14:22.
saikarthik is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:46   #537
BHPian

The launch video reminds me of their later Nano ads, such as the ones for Twist.

Here's the Punch launch video:

Here's the one for Tata Nano Twist (specifically the ending):

If they manage to price this right, it can easily sell 4-6k units a month. Here's hoping the resemblance to Spresso is not limited to the front bumper alone.

Last edited by Coyote : 23rd August 2021 at 15:04.
Coyote is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:04   #538
BHPian

Why couldn't Tata just name this car Gravitas? I mean, they literally had such a cool name with them, but instead, they chose Punch? Wow!

I just don't want Tata to rush things this time and deliver a properly put-together product. Minor Niggles like some plastic cover missing or some switch not working is expected. It happens in the initial batches of all cars. But I don't want customers to recieve a car with choked AC drain lines & a flooded interior within 1 hour of driving or some other such grave quality issue.

Tata has the capability to launch a problem free initial batch of a new car, but somewhere along the management level there's a couple of bad apples who let the whole company down. Tata just has to take care of them. And of course, pricing would be key. Tata has still not reached the epitome of being an aspirational brand. They can't price their car at a huge premium over its competitors.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:10   #539
BHPian

I think someone or the other is waiting to prey on anything Tata dishes out. Be it name, colors, advertising. And still TML's continuous upward journey speaks for themselves.
Finally, any name, any advert, any gizmo should translate into sales number. And this car (not SUV, just because it is tall!) will add 4-5000/month more volume into Tata's kitty.
I will happily take any trolling, sell the car & pocket the money. Just like what MS is doing for years.
speedguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:21   #540
BHPian

OMG Punch? Sounds like a Toy. Unless TML wanted to slot it as a Nano replacement.

Wonder if they did any market research before coming up with this name. I know Auto companies pay serious money on surveys and focus groups on the name. I think this car while very attractive in looks and features will have the name as an weight around its neck.
ksakotai is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks