Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:28   #541
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Whatever the name the car looks neat. TATA has a more mature design language than Mahindra. Although, there was nothing stopping them from using the same maturity in nameplates. Punch is no different from naming a car Rush like Toyota did and it will work but it doesn't fit into the family. Altroz, Nexon, Safari and then Punch. Its like Parents named first two kids Ajay, Vijay and the next one Papu. Wish they could reconsider. HBX or Hornet etc would be so much better.
chittybang is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:48   #542
BHPian

The name Punch, though sounding peculiar or even odd, gives me a feeling that it will eventually grow on us. It has a sense of familiarity to it (I would've preferred to see them retain the name HBX).

The product looks a potential winner for Tata, provided they price it right. Hope the chip shortage doesn't do too much damage in terms of waiting times.
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:49   #543
BHPian

Everyone seems to be having an issue with the name, but for me, the design itself seems to be not so refreshing. TATA should stop having the same Harrier kind of designs in all their SUVs / mini SUV portfolios. Unfortunately, I am not sure if this car design will age well. After a successful Altroz design disappointed with TATA.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:03   #544
BHPian

Forget the name, I'm more interested in seeing the engine options at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they just launched the NA engine and brought a turbo version next year
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:19   #545
BHPian

I was waiting to be blown apart. Feeling a little underwhelmed, to be honest. Not that there is anything wrong with this. But I do not see where they have taken the risk/attitude in the design. This could be a sibling to Kwid, Kiger, Harrier, Safari, Venue.... the list is long. The concept, which I saw in flesh, was mundane in proportions but quite sophisticated in the details. Alas... that sophistication is a bit lost here. Now I am wondering, perhaps the HBX concept was outsourced or worked on by another team.
Trapezio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:21   #546
Senior - BHPian

Could this be one car one hesitates to buy just because of it's name? HBX sounded so nice. It also resembles the kwid a lot, and that could be a negative.

On the flipside, it looks so much more composed than the Mahindra's contraption called KUV100.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:21   #547
BHPian

KIA: Seltos and Sonet
TATA : All new Harrier
Hyundai : All new Creta
TATA : Safari
Mahindra : Thar
Hyundai : Alcazar
Mahindra : XUV700
SKODA/ VV : Kushaq / Tiguan
TATA : Punch

Market Leader Maruti : guys we have an updated Celerio..... guys.........we are exporting Jimmny
docted is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:41   #548
Senior - BHPian

I like this car much better than the offset-looking KUV1OO as well as the Kwid to be honest. It seems it will be loaded to Tata levels. Hope they don't do the stupidity of providing a sunroof in such a small car over some essentials like the a strong, hopefully, diesel and petrol.

Just don't like the name. I mean 'Punch'? There are definitely better names that Tata has than Punch.

On a lighter note, When someone gets hit by this car: "I just got hit by a PUNCH"
akash_v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:50   #549

The car looks nice and waiting eagerly for the complete specifications. However the radiator protector looks worry some. HBX sounds cool. It is going to take time getting used to name Punch.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:51   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

What an unbelievably awful choice of a product name by Tata. At first I thought the thread title was wrongly updated, and I checked the latest posts to see if this was a mistake. The name Punch does not fit in with the naming of any of the other Tata products. Who approves such marketing blunders in the Tata Motors hierarchy?

And that launch video looks like it was put together by the campus joinees in the Tata Motors marketing team. After this many months of buildup, is this honestly the best that they could do? Heck, Tata could have picked 5 TBHP forum members and they would have come out with a more imaginative and captivating 45 second commercial, than this lame attempt.

After a fun few years of Tata taking smart potshots at their competition, Im waiting for the others to return the favour on the advertising front. Especially if the sales numbers of the HBX dont match the expectations of the company.

I wonder what Tata's next launches are going to be. The Tata Kick followed by the Tata Elbow Drop?
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:52   #551
BHPian

The car looks good definitely and it will be a success if it is priced correctly.

But Punch, seriously ? You had Gravitas, HBX, Hornbill, even Hexa was hanging around. Punch suits more on a goods carrier than a car whose launch has been hyped by previous successes.

Sure nowadays Indian buyers are more informed but they are also status conscious and if they hesitate to answer the question - Which car do you drive - with Punch, it will be another capable product losing out only due to something as trivial as it's name.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:55   #552
BHPian

The car looks good in this front three-quarter view, but not sure how the rear will turn out to be. Since Tata has not shown the rear of the car, I don't think they are not confident about it either, in terms of a first impression. IMO, TATA nailed the rear three-quarter of Altroz but was a letdown in Nexon's design. I think this will edge more towards Nexon other than Altroz.
Anyhow, If Tata is going to cash in on the tough and safe image they have built up recently, this will be a runaway success.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:59   #553
BHPian

Knowing TATA, will they give the Punch enough punch to punch the competition away?

If they put 1.5 diesel Nexon mill here, it will be a cracker.
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:27   #554
Senior - BHPian

PUNCH is also the name of the Belgian company that will be supplying Tata's upcoming 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission for its small car line up. TML is rumoured to use Punch Powertrain's DT-1 wet clutch unit.

Is the name a clue as to what gearbox the new launch will come with?!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:34   #555
BHPian

It looks muscular.
The 5 colors of PUNCH also represents the 5 colors it will be available with.
Any further updates from TAMO on this product. ?
abhi_krao is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks