Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:33   #571
BHPian

Default re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

HBX / Hornbill sounds far better than Punch to be honest. Punch sounds like it is trying hard to please the masses, but it might just work for them.

The looks are good, except the radiator area. It makes the car look a little cheap around the front bumper area, and robs its rugged feel to be honest. But let us wait for more details, and pictures. Little design tweak in the radiator area, a skid plate, should do a world of good. One can expect the cabin quality to be in line with that of the Altroz.

This segment is getting crowded now, with Hyundai's Casper round the corner. Punch has the potential to be a segment leader if it manages a fuss free run for a year. I strongly feel improving it's showroom experience and general after sales experience can be a real game changer for them if they put in the same effort which they have in their designs over the last few years.

Ignis could end up suffering, I own one and find the petrol manual very peppy to drive. If Punch clicks, then Hyundai's upcoming Casper will have a tough fight on it's hand.

Some amount of cross shopping between Altroz / Swift / Ignis / i10 is likely to happen. With so much craze around the so called SUV / Crossover look at every price point, cars have started to look like distant cousins right from an S-Presso / Ignis to a Brezza / Nexon / Venue to a Creta / Harrier

Tata is surely making a dent in the below 5-10L category. The segment from which Maruti Suzuki derives the maximum volumes. I wonder how long can Suzuki sustain such volumes without a makeover in it's current line up.
ZB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:02   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
The absence of front skid plates are making a world of difference.
The skid plate and the silver 'humanity line'. In the concept it was blacked out.

Also, that radiator coming out behind that farm fence grill is an eye sore. It would look better if its greyed out.

I tried to GIMP the two changes, it does make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tata-punch-greyed-grille.jpeg  

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tata-punch.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:15   #573
BHPian

The car looks promising but the Name is just horrible.

The front design looks mature and as per the concept, the rear will look good as well. Even till this day, I just don't like the coupe-ish pinched rear design of the Nexon, although the front with the Facelift has made Nexon look a lot muscular.

Overall, Punch fits very well among the "SUV" (read Crossovers) in the Tata Family.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 23rd August 2021 at 22:16. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:27   #574
anb
BHPian

The name Punch lacks punch seriously. Car looks good. What Tata needs is a good diesel and petrol engine. Tiago is an awesome choice except for weak engines. Hope they rectify this issue in Punch.

Last edited by anb : 23rd August 2021 at 22:29.
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:29   #575
BHPian

Will Anand Mahindra ever name his child xuv1271?
But expects his customer who buys his product to call x u v 5 oh oh.

When we as customer buy a car, usually it ends being a family member for at least 7 to 10.years or longer. And we are stuck with odd sounding name.

Very disappointed move by Tata.

Just answer following questions.

How did you come?
I came in punch.

Which car you own?
Punch.

Do you like my punch?
I had lot of fun in your punch.

Shall I gift punch to your sister?

Your parents will definitely love punch.

Bring punch to school, You can take my punch, my punch didn't start,...just frame few sentences using car name. You will feel how odd it sounds.

Even HBX would have sounded well, even though it was internal name.
pogo0120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:02   #576
BHPian

Manufactures today spend millions researching good names which drive a cars trait or character in customers mind.

In Bible, there is a proverb - A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, Loving favor rather than silver and gold.

And then Tata comes up with - Punch!

Looks like the Tata's marketing dept is either less read or too engrossed in taking digs at others. Now it would be fun to watch others giving Tata a dose of its own medicine (marketing dig).
Old 24th August 2021, 00:10   #577
BHPian

TATA Punch

Interesting name. Since it's just the name that has been revealed I'll limit my thoughts with the same.

So what does "Punch" stand here for?

Is it the elusive Indian name for which we have created a dedicated thread?

Wait! What?

Yup according to Merriam-webster

Quote:
Punch, referring to a beverage, indicates either a spiced concoction of hard liquor, wine, or beer and fruit juices (sometimes tea), or a refreshing, nonalcoholic mixture of fruit juices often with carbonated soda added; both are made in "party" size quantities. This punch is first served in early 17th-century English, and it is believed to have originated from Hindi and Urdu pā̃c, meaning "five"—in reference to the supposed original number of ingredients, which probably consisted of an alcohol (such as arrack), a sour (such as lemon or lime), a sugar or other sweetener, spices (or tea), and water. Inevitably, there were variations in recipes, as there are today.

The Hindi/Urdu word derives from Sanskrit pańca, which is an ingredient in the word pańcāmṛta, meaning, literally, "five nectars (of the gods)" and refers to a mixture of five ingredients—in particular, milk, curd, butter (or ghee), honey, and sugar (or molasses)—believed to have medicinal properties when combined. Another related Sanskrit word is pańcapātra, meaning "set of five glass bowls for libations."
Further more;

Quote:
Punch having meanings indicating "hitting," "pushing/pressing down," or "making holes in" is believed to be etymologically related to puncheon, as well as pounce. This punch has hit English with quite a few words and phrases. For example, there's punch holes in (to weaken), punch line (something said that makes the point), punch up (to give forcefulness to), beat someone to the punch (to do something before someone else; to land your punch first), pack a punch (to be strong or forceful), pull punches (to use less force), and roll with the punches (to adjust to what is coming; to move so as to lessen the blow).
Talking of car names, City, Civic, Venue, sound upmarket as opposed to Town, public and location. Hector and Tiago are Spanish names. Whereas Amaze, Dzire, Aspire and Aura are trying hard to convince you that not being able to afford a proper sized sedan is not all that bad. Endeavor is a bit too close to underwear. Seltos, Nexon , Brezza , Baleno are just a cool sounding concoction of letters. Tigor and Kiger are just misspelt cats. Kodiaq, karoq, Kushaq, Kyunki and Karan Arjun shows the "k" obsession is real. Swift, Safari, Scorpio, Thar, Superb, Fortuner, Duster, thankfully restores some sanity.

IMO the negativity related to the name has to do with the word being very common. In today's times people look towards unique names if not English sounding ones. Also its too close to Hero's Puch which is not exactly a good thing. Personally, I feel the car itself is more important than what its named. So Im awaiting further details. This has the potential to achieve what the KUV failed at.

However we should be prepared for unimaginative headlines like;

TATAs Punch knocks out competition!

Punch is an ambitious name for engines that barely poke.

Hyundai Casper haunts Tatas Punch.
400notout is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 00:14   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Production-spec Tata HBX christened as Tata Punch
I got an email where they congratulated me for showing interest in the hornbill. I think some top exec punched down his idea of the punch in the last moment.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-screenshot_2021082400104456.jpg

Last edited by vb-san : 24th August 2021 at 05:53. Reason: formatting
Pramathyu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 00:29   #579
BHPian

Worst name IMO. Design is well proportionate though. It's still a hatch on steroids.

So basically expecting 5 colours on launch:
1) Red
2) Grey
3) Dark Blue
4) Sky Blue
5) Gold/ Yellowish-Orange
Old 24th August 2021, 00:37   #580
BHPian

Well done Tata. Gives out the vibes of Nexon. Tata is on roll and making right progress. There was a time when the only aspirational vehicle in the Tata Lineup was the Legendary Safari. Today all Tata cars are Contemporary.

I am planning to book a Swift but this confuses me further. Waiting eagerly now Tata for you to excite us with a PUNCH
dsuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 05:10   #581
BHPian

Probably it was the same person/team who named the Harrier XL as Gravitas and they were given a task to name the HBX as a consolation prize. With the Tiago's petrol whose specs look good only on paper, I don't think this one packs any more kick than a fruit punch would!

Pratap Bose was opposed to the 'Russian Doll' approach of making cars but ended up doing just that with his last one for Tata. I wonder how a Harrier owner will feel about this small hatchback going around with the Harrier's face.

Last edited by octane_100 : 24th August 2021 at 05:14.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 06:33   #582
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
Worst name IMO. Design is well proportionate though. It's still a hatch on steroids.

So basically expecting 5 colours on launch:
1) Red
2) Grey
3) Dark Blue
4) Sky Blue
5) Gold/ Yellowish-Orange
Look around you, most if not all of the small SUV's are hatchbacks on steroids.
extreme_torque is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 07:38   #583
Senior - BHPian

The car looks great, almost true to the concept, obviously without all the extras.

With regard to the name Punch, once again it seems like Tata has taken some last minute decisions, hence some of the emailers read it as Hornbill and in some places it’s the Punch. We all would have liked the name to be HBX, but sometimes a simpler, easier name is the need of the hour, especially when the car is in the absolute mass market segment. So HBX wouldn’t have made that cut, and neither does Hornbill.
Not saying that Punch is the right choice, but it’s something easy for all to recall. However, Tata should get their act together in this whole car naming business. Don’t understand why they have trouble with names all the time.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 07:50   #584
BHPian

Tata, I guess you have knocked out a few prospective customers even before landing the first PUNCH. What a pre-launch PUNCH, Jeez!

If you are still so obsessed with "P", who or what stopped you from naming the car "PBx" .

This way Tata could have extended a small tribute to Pratap Bose.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2021 at 19:44. Reason: As requested
Old 24th August 2021, 09:21   #585
BHPian

Looks like a well rounded car overall except for the front grille and the wheel arches.
The name surely doesn't suit the vehicle. Hopefully the car is priced right & does well.

I get the nexon vibes on seeing this. The ad looks funny to me with all the adjectives. Tata could have a done a better job with both the name and the advertisement. Sad to hear that diesel is not an option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed