Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 08:58   #676
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Some more pictures from front three quarters, looks far better than any competition.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchnewphotossiderear21068x600.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchnewphotossiderear41068x601.jpg

Source: Rushlane.com

Last edited by saikarthik : 30th August 2021 at 08:59.
saikarthik is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 09:11   #677
BHPian

The EV space is still not mature enough to bring in more models, additionally NEXON is in a Comfortable space when it come to distance in a single charge which is a nice Sweet spot to be in. If the Punch is launch with the same specs it will impact the sales of Nexon which would not be ideal.

Rather i would love them to launch the Punch with a Punching (turbo) engine from the Altroz & debut the DCT transmission. This would bring in a lot of young generation first time buyers to TATA.

Seeing the trend from the past few launches we should expect,
1) Gold standard's in Safety,
2) Excellent Handling, with traditional good feedback from steering. Punch would be a Fun to drive mSUV.
3) Good music system.

My niece is looking for her 1st car, and she is already excited seeing the pictures and videos.
Old 30th August 2021, 10:58   #678
BHPian

Quote:
The Tigor is no step-child.
Tigor has to thank fleet owners for it, not Tata R and D teams. Even with this launch, Tigor gets an inferior battery pack and power figures as compared to Nexon, robbing it off the position of premium EV as it has to make room for upcoming Altroz EV.
Although Nexon EV is<10% of total nexons sold, they amount to nearly 75% of the EVs sold. Tata is clearly having an early mover advantage here, despite of their usual service/QC related shortcomings- that should be exploited like a market leader. Otherwise they would go back to playing a catch-up with Suzuki/Toyota in this segment in future. Everywhere in the world, it's the introduction of small EVs that bring about the maturation of EV market- and punch is such an aspirational model for Yuppies! They (and their customers and fans) should think in a different way than what they've been doing so far in PV division.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 30th August 2021 at 10:59.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 13:28   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The rear windscreen is too small, just see the window size and windscreen size!! Another case of form over function.
An Achille's heel it seems to have inherited from the Nexon DNA... The A-Frame and Rear View Mirror size impacting visibility are the only things which mar my new found love affair with the Tatas...
Old 30th August 2021, 17:18   #680
BHPian

I somehow feel that the front and rear were designed by 2 different teams. The rear just does not connect to the front . Punch looks like a big posh car from the front and a small hatch of the size of Santro from rear(judging only from the pics).
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:37   #681
BHPian

Front looks aggressive and big. But rear gives the feeling of a hatchback like Kwid or Grand i10 Nios. It simply does not have the SUV feel.

Waiting for more clear pics.
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:45   #682
BHPian

The rear resembles the Kwid in some angles,only more chunkier though.
Overall the design works for me and as far as this segment is concerned, it’s going to be quite a looker!
Old 30th August 2021, 18:50   #683
BHPian

That rear bumper feels so inexistent functionally, from whatever angle available in the images released, it seems even minor rear bumps and touches will hit the hatch sheet metal part. The rear profile in the images gives more of a Kwid or Captur feel as if the car is from Renault family. BTW in some of the frontal images, if one skips the lower 1/3rd part of the car, it just looks Nexon. Overall the car is a looker indeed, I hope Punch would be a niggle free car though as Tata's newer lower end cars like Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and now Altroz have been niggle free with reliable frugal engines, My Tigor diesel has been a butter smooth ownership experience in the last 3.5 years and almost 60k kms. Its mostly the Premium segment i.e. Harrier and Safari where Tata usually messes up on that last 5% refinement and QC at the end, which surely leaves a sour taste.
Old 30th August 2021, 18:58   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Tigor has to thank fleet owners for it, not Tata R and D teams.
Although Nexon EV is<10% of total nexons sold, they amount to nearly 75% of the EVs sold.
How many of the Punch will sell if released only in EV guise? 75% of EVs sold is only 750 numbers. Say, the Punch manages to sell 2000, is it the number that Tata is looking at? They would be selling 2500 cars a month instead of 2000, right?

The Altroz and the Punch are EV ready cars and will be launched in the near future. But no company save Tesla will wager to sell a product only as an EV.

I think I made my point.

Last edited by discoverwild : 30th August 2021 at 19:13.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 19:11   #685
BHPian

Quote:
only as an EV.
Not as a standalone EV- like Nexon, it'd stand alongside the ICE options.
My point was: Tata seem be the most capable manufacturer to bring in the EV revolution in India. Or they could win the consolation prize once MS/Hyundai flood the market with small cars, leading to greater consumer demands for EV infrastructure.
BTW, all of their current models are EV 'ready'. EVs are a niche market- but the dividends may be reaped after 10yrs- as Maruti Suzuki is doing at the moment, as they were visionary enough with small ICE cars.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 30th August 2021 at 19:18.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 06:35   #686
BHPian

As a 25 year old software professional who's looking for a good city car. I'm tempted to consider the punch as my first.

From my perspective

- VW - Options are dated.
- Maruti- I have a soft spot for the Swift but i am not comfortable with their safety rating.
- Hyundai - i20 N DCT will cost over 15 Lks on road. At that point I'd rather add ~5 more and get the new VW Rapid 1.5. Also hate the styling.
- Kia - The Seltos is too big but does look good.

If the punch has the iTurbo engine and a good price. I'm getting it.
shastryBLR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 21:24   #687
Senior - BHPian

Does Tata Punch teasers indicate beyond just some pictures?

Rock Mode

Name:  SmartSelect_20210831213217_Twitter.gif
Views: 876
Size:  4.72 MB

Wet Mode

Name:  SmartSelect_20210831213253_Twitter.gif
Views: 1758
Size:  4.16 MB

Hill start assist

Name:  SmartSelect_20210831213145_Twitter.gif
Views: 675
Size:  3.86 MB

New teaser

Name:  SmartSelect_20210831212323_Twitter.gif
Views: 646
Size:  5.88 MB

CarandBike also mentions Punch will get few segment-first features like traction modes (Sand, Rock, Mud), hill descent control and hill start assist among others, giving in more SUV credentials. Source

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st August 2021 at 21:52.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 16:39   #688
BHPian

Any further updates in this from Tata Motors.
Hope the chip shortage won't delay the launch.
I have placed a booking with the nearest Tata dealership today and was the first one for them. Hoping to get delivery for Dasara.
Old 4th September 2021, 20:41   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
Any further updates in this from Tata Motors.
Hope the chip shortage won't delay the launch.
I have placed a booking with the nearest Tata dealership today and was the first one for them. Hoping to get delivery for Dasara.
Congratulations! Do provide more details. Was this an official booking or an unofficial one? What was the booking amount? Any indication on timelines from the dealer?
Old 4th September 2021, 20:59   #690
BHPian

Does anybody have any idea on the length and width of this car? Will this be bigger than nios i10?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks