Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 17:06   #751
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Punch is looking really good!! Leagues of improvement on design language and visual appeal - their European design teams influence is clearly showing.

If Tata can crack the fit and finish issues that plague Tata cars, pack in a few 'punch'y engine options and offer packaging / customization options like the Citroen C3 is planning to (well, at least 10-12 options) - then the game is on!!
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 18:48   #752
BHPian

Wow, this car looks way better than what I thought. And it looks just like a mini Nexon, which isn't a bad thing I believe. I think it can also compete with cars like Nissan Magnite non turbo variants. And being a TATA we can be assured the car shall be a strong one with at least 4 star rating. The only down point I can see at this stage shall be the lack of engine and transmission options.

I am sure Tata may offer only the 1.2 Revtron engine present in the Tiago with the AMT and also the MT. But if they choose to give this car a Turbo Petrol option with at least an AMT then it can pull a large crowd and will certainly outsell a lot of cars including their own products. I truly hope Tata will make everyone happy and give a lot of engine and gearbox options
Old 17th September 2021, 19:02   #753
BHPian

Finally a proper looking hatch on steroids. Maruti and Honda have tried their luck with Ritz, Ignis and Brio but couldn't crack the design. Kudos to Tata for getting this right now.
sid_deb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:24   #754
BHPian

Tata has been making some good cars but they should really update the central console now (and not the speaker system). Central console is just meh.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 00:17   #755
BHPian

It is a good looking car Indeed. But I don’t really get the point of this “Punch”. Tata already have a Sub 4 meter SUV and a premium Hatch. Why the should have another one with similar dimensions as that of Nexon ? Instead they should have a provided a Creta / Seltos rival, which is sorely missed in their portfolio.
Old 18th September 2021, 01:32   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
It is a good looking car Indeed. But I don’t really get the point of this “Punch”. Tata already have a Sub 4 meter SUV and a premium Hatch. Why the should have another one with similar dimensions as that of Nexon ? Instead they should have a provided a Creta / Seltos rival, which is sorely missed in their portfolio.
The Nexon is now in a slightly higher price range, now that it costs an easy 8 - 12/13 lakhs to buy. In a country obsessed with pseudo - SUV's like India, giving a well-specced and good looking car within a 6 - 9/10 lakh range will certainly bring buyers, and even take away sales of people who would have bought a hatchback from Maruti or Hyundai.

I'm sure this one will be a raging success, with Tata playing the volume game here.

And as for a crossover competing with the Creta, I don't think it is feasible as the price range of the Korean twins is between the top end Nexon and mid/high variants of Harrier. I don't think Tata needs to bring a car just for that 12 - 16 lakh gap when it will certainly be not feasible for them, it would be much better to fix niggles on the Harrier and possibly bring a petrol engine on it.
TorqueMonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:10   #757
BHPian

Another colour option for the Punch? Snapped this in Noida today.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-72224a81399743d28605642627dbf63e.jpeg
paddu is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:27   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
Another colour option for the Punch? Snapped this in Noida today.
Attachment 2208347
Is it just me or the car alloys design looks like the symbol of Germany's dictator?
sairamboko is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:12   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Is it just me or the car alloys design looks like the symbol of Germany's dictator?
I hope and pray it's only you sir.

I also didn't see anything wrong with Myntra's logo even after all the hullabaloo raised last year.
JithinR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:19   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
It does resemble a swastika. But need not be nazi. To me it looks more like the Indian voting symbol.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-images-8.jpeg

But if you look closely enough there are enough elements separating it from the above mentioned symbols.

Last edited by 400notout : 18th September 2021 at 12:21. Reason: added line
400notout is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 13:30   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone in my circles who has made a booking for the Punch with a token amount of Rs 11,000 in Mumbai claims that he was informed that the base variant will be priced at Rs 6.70L, OTR Mumbai.

Seems like it will be priced attractively at launch.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 14:47   #762
BHPian

That 3 cylinder super shuddery engine from the Tiago will spoil the punch in the Punch. This car is meant for everday city commutes (beater car for many). All you need there is the low end which this engine is terrible at. Driven a Tiago many times (no offence to owners) but this engine is unable to pull Tiago’s weight at low RPMs, it seems Punch which supposedly will be heavier will not be too good to drive from the engine stand point. Tata could you please develop a small 4 cylinder petrol block and if not stop plonking this pathetic engine in otherwise good cars such as Altroz in the name of fuel efficiency and low cost. Ask fiat to lend you one from the FIRE series.
hydraulicsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:11   #763
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
What is stopping Tata from offering this cluster on the Nexon, considering the Nexon EV already has it. That calculator inspired cluster is a deal-breaker for many.

They should even offer it in Tiago and Tigor - why not use it when you have it?
Exactly, and this is a deal breaker for Nexon from my side
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:36   #764
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch spotted sans camouflage in Gurgaon. Looks quite good on the road. Nice colour options as well.

dZired is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:30   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Tata Punch spotted sans camouflage in Gurgaon. Looks quite good on the road. Nice colour options as well.

https://Youtu.be/f9OerzPntxg
Rear looks better in this
Don't know why they haven't announced a date till now, cars are running on roads without camouflage.
udaikalra01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks