Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2021, 12:35   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Tata Punch to launch on 20th October. Tata motors says the Punch will do 0-60kph in 6.5 and 0-100kph in 16.5 seconds. Source

Tata Punch official pictures

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122759.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122802.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122805.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122812.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122814.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122817.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122819.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122827.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_122829.jpg

Name:  20211004120622_Tata Punch.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  53.1 KB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th October 2021 at 13:03.
Venkatesh is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:40   #887
BHPian

It's interesting to notice that the claimed bootspace is 'upto' 366 litres, which I believe could be sans the rear parcel tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
So, the final production version is: Length x Width x Height (mm) = 3827x1742x1615. Wheelbase (mm) = 2445.
Source: Official brochure.
I always kept believing that production version would be shorter in length contrary to the earlier speculations(3840/3880mm) and it indeed is, albeit by a small margin. This makes the Punch 166mm shorter than the Nexon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I am a bit skeptical about the dimensions, especially the length- 3880mm. The HBX concept was 3840mm length wise, if I am not wrong. Moreover, I am not sure if Tata have disclosed the dimensions officially and I think whatever is available on the internet might be just speculative. The way PUNCH is being projected, I will be really surprised if it is only about 100mm lesser than the Nexon in length.

Last edited by Emvi : 4th October 2021 at 12:50. Reason: Spacing
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:45   #888
BHPian

They showed specific colours for each persona, does that mean only that colour will be available or this will be available in addition to the previous trims colours?

20th October is very far for the pricing announcement, also it's conflicting with what my dealer has informed, they said the pricing will be revealed on 9th itself. Any body else have any info from their dealers?
mr_robot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:53   #889
BHPian

The Car looks good. It will have good road presence. It checks all boxes like Styling, High Ground Clearance, Safety, Features. However I doubt the 1.2L NA Engine will return low fuel efficiency. I am sure the car will be heavy because Tata will not compromise on the Build Quality (Just an assumption). My BIL has a KUV 100 with 1300cc Petrol Engine. The car being heavy returns a low fuel efficiency (8 kms to 12 kms range). Also this being a new Product from Tata may have teething issues. I am sold on this but will wait for sometime and take a call. PUNCH will surely be popular in Semi urban and Rural India.

Good Luck Tata Motors!
Old 4th October 2021, 12:54   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
I think you missed something , it was never going to be a kwid competitor but was always slated to be launched against the kuv 100 and ignis , so yes it just going to be below Nexon.
No, I know. I had hoped they would offer a 'compact' vehicle, not something almost as big as, and as feature loaded as the Nexon. I am in the market for a small automatic city car, and have few good options. Wishful thinking on my part.

However, what does the Nexon have that the Punch does not, save being slightly bigger? Drive modes? Brake wiping features?

My point was, this was supposed to be a 'micro' SUV, and to me, it looks about as good, if not, better, than the Nexon. There are many people who feel the Nexon looks 'mature','sedate', or 'safe' (not from a crash test safety perspective). The Punch will appeal to all those people as it is built on a newer platform, likely to score 5* at GNCAP (Altroz did), has connected car features, almost same safety spec as the Nexon. So, what gives, Tata?
Coyote is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:59   #891
Senior - BHPian

Features (images)

Name:  premiumupholestrywithtriarrowdesign.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  63.1 KB
Premium upholstry with Tri arrow design

Name:  projectorheadlampsandleddrls.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  111.9 KB
Projector headlamps & LED DRLs

Name:  rearflatfloor.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  89.8 KB
Rear flat floor

Name:  signaturehumanityline.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  52.9 KB
Signature humanity line

Name:  signatureleftaillamps.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  134.2 KB
Signature LED tail lamps

Name:  stylishroofrails.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  100.3 KB
Stylish roof rails

Name:  16diamondcutalloywheels.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  94.4 KB
16" diamond cut alloy wheels​

Name:  90degreeopeningdoors.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  90.3 KB
90 degree opening doors

Name:  bodycoloredairvents.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  103.3 KB
Body coloured airvents

Name:  dcutsteeringwheel.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  78.8 KB
D cut steering wheel

Name:  eyecatchingdashboard.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  119.1 KB
Eye catching dashboard

Name:  forthatsuvlikeheight.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  76.0 KB
Cladding on doors, wheel arches and sill cladding

Credit: Tata Motors Website
nairrk is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:04   #892
BHPian

Quote:

Tata Motors have taken the Punch up the treacherous road to Sandakphu with the 1st lady driver to get there, its famously till date mainly the 1st gen Land Rover territory.
I saw the video and it is truly amazing. Felt a bit emotional. Dnt know why
Amazing video by Tata Motors and hats off to Samantha for her courage! Needs a lot skills to navigate through those steep hairpins.
Dhillon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:04   #893
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Punch quite clearly lacks a punch in the engine department. 16.6 seconds to 100kmph (and this is what Tata claims. Actual timings will be even slower) was considered slow even back in 2002 in India. This is the first time I have seen 0-60kmph timings being advertised so prominently by a car maker. This figure is usually the domain of scooty makers. Is Tata sending an indirect message with this figure? Moreover, what the hell is the car doing between 60 and 100 kmph? 10 whole seconds to gain 40kmph?

This is a really slow car and will be a right pain to drive on any open road. You may find trucks out-accelerating you . Prospective owners do keep this in mind before going forward.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:15   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
However, what does the Nexon have that the Punch does not, save being slightly bigger? Drive modes? Brake wiping features?

The Punch will appeal to all those people as it is built on a newer platform, likely to score 5* at GNCAP (Altroz did), has connected car features, almost same safety spec as the Nexon. So, what gives, Tata?
The engines! This will likely have the 1.2 NA whereas the Nexon comes with a 1.2 Turbo and 1.5 Diesel. Probably superior driving dynamics as well, owing to the dimensions.

Enough product differentiation for the two to coexist within the portfolio of the same manufacturer, imo.
RoadMonkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:20   #895
BHPian

Tata has a winner in their hands ! The rear flat floor and 90 degrees door is such a boon for senior citizens especially. Wagon R sells just because of this reason alone. It's good to see a Wagon R competitor in ingress and egress from Tata. Hoping this sells like hotcakes and also eagerly waiting for GTOs review!
sairamboko is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:29   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
I saw the video and it is truly amazing. Felt a bit emotional. Dnt know why
Amazing video by Tata Motors and hats off to Samantha for her courage! Needs a lot skills to navigate through those steep hairpins.
I believe the subtle nationalism cues (proudly made in india) and the Indian flag just at the begining of the sub segment.

On top of that, naari shakti (very rightly portrayed) and finally all us petrol heads have an emotional connect to the conquering of mountains (literally in this case) which all came together to tug at your emotional heartstrings. And trust me you were not alone
kosjam is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:31   #897
BHPian

Punch is not getting ESP as that of a Nexon. This omission is a bit surprising considering that Punch is definitely a taller car.

Also, it is instead getting Brake sway control. Can someone chime in on what's this brake sway control? Nexon brochure doesn't have a mention of this, so I am not sure if this is some partial component of ESP.
skarthiksr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:37   #898
BHPian

We might as well add this car to the following thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...t-if-only.html (Cars that got almost everything right - if only)

The car looks extremely well packaged in all aspects, except for the lethargic 1.2L NA engine. Honestly, don't understand why Tata didn't plonk the Altroz iTurbo engine in this car. It is surprising to learn that this car with such an engine and without 4×4 was able to reach Sandakphu. Maybe we're all missing an asterisk somewhere.

Before the unveil, I had my heart set on the Punch but the non-availability of the Turbo petrol is a real bummer. Also, considering the possible niggles associated with new cars, especially from Tata, I'm now evaluating the option to stretch for the Nexon.

Last edited by Marauder : 4th October 2021 at 13:38.
Marauder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:51   #899
Senior - BHPian

So TML is trying the MSIL way of putting the same 1.2 engine all the way from Tiago toAltroz. I really cant get the differentiation from the Tiago-Tigor -Punch-Altroz for the average Tier 1/2 city commuter (which is 80%) of the target market.

In the same manner, I cant get the differentiation amongst all the cars between say the Wagon R 1.2 and the Baleno 1.2 frankly speaking.
At least Hyundai gives you a choice of 1.0 Turbo in the Grand I10/ I20, plus AMT/IMT/CVT options.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 14:14   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
The engines! This will likely have the 1.2 NA whereas the Nexon comes with a 1.2 Turbo and 1.5 Diesel. Probably superior driving dynamics as well, owing to the dimensions.

Enough product differentiation for the two to coexist within the portfolio of the same manufacturer, imo.
No, they can definitely co-exist. I'm sure some people will prefer the Punch to the Nexon, and some will find the Nexon a better proposition.

If the Punch were introduced on schedule, I may have shortlisted the Punch and the Sonet, instead of the Nexon and the Sonet. Plus, I feel the Punch will get the Turbo mill in the next facelift - say 2 years. It would, at that point almost be a Nexon replacement (end-user perspective).

Maybe I was reading too much into the 'micro' suv idea behind this car. A 'micro' the Punch is not.
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed