Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2021, 20:01   #916
BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Seems like the company website is still in 'Beta'. When I checked earlier in the day, I was really surprised to find this-

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_200336.jpg

And now-

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211004_200323.jpg

Last edited by Emvi : 4th October 2021 at 20:05. Reason: Images resized
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:02   #917
BHPian

The name now sounds even more ironical after unveiling of the engine specs. 0-100 in 16 seconds is just yawn inducing stuff. Why TATA always have to jeopardize their own products. I mean if this car had that iturbo from Altroz it would have been a near perfect small car, but TATA never ceases to disappoint.
apache_aayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:19   #918
BHPian

Good feature specs but the engine and its specs feel like a let down atleast on paper. However this might still sell due to its design. Cornering lamps is a true boon!

But man! Whoever designed those taillamps was inspired by someone hugging him with two middle fingers!
Old 4th October 2021, 20:19   #919
BHPian

From front this is the Small Harrier, from rear this is the Small Nexon!

Was this Mr. Bose's last project in Tata? Seems the project was closed abruptly at the rear metal overhang boot!

Nice urban moover, the Sandhankpu stunt was impressive at launch.

surjaonwheelz
Old 4th October 2021, 20:43   #920
BHPian

This vehicle is most probably for those who can afford an Altroz, but want an SUV-ish vehicle with higher ground clearance.

This will be on the list for the kind of buyers who has fixed their budget, but don't know what car they want. For someone like that, this ticks almost all the boxes.
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:51   #921
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't help but have a gnawing thought at the back of my mind, that shouldn't Tata Motors have issued a disclaimer / warning that the event that they had organised was performed by a highly experienced driver who has cut her teeth, literally, driving on that route ever since the time she obtained her driving licence?

As the PUNCH will be a mass market offering and relatively affordable to a large section of the car buying populace, I fervently hope, tourists with 2WD vehicles and
future PUNCH owners, exercise the utmost of caution and not do anything foolhardy to put their and other's lives at risk.

There may be howls of disdain and a lot of skeptics may say that mountains are being made out of molehills about the difficulty index of the route; but having driven that route a 4 times, albeit in the "non Facebook, YouTube, Instagram" era, in a carburettered Gypsy, the route should not be scoffed at by youngsters of today.

It's not only about gradient and altitude, it's about finicky weather systems, occasional slush, ice, slippery boulders with zero traction surfaces which you have to have a knack for spotting (and trying) to avoid a wheel running over it. It's about modulating throttle inputs, placing your wheels on surfaces where the textbook would not want them to be placed.
You have to be one with your car, sniff the clutch to understand when to ease up, sensitise your backside to underbody hits and ensure the "hits" are in "safe zones" and at the same time maintain momentum. It's not only the performance envelope of your car; but also your skills, reflexes and strong nerves.
Ask people like our very own D-Bhp-ian's Samba & Blackpearl, who have plied this route a million times and they'll tell you.

Also Sandakphu is not merely a 4x4 trail as to whose car does better.
It is a very spiritual journey. The locals revere and venerate the mountains, the chortens, it's holy places and lakes.
Hope we do not end up having hordes of "punchy" folks attempting to traipse their way up & destroy the sanctity of the surroundings knowingly or unknowingly.

Sorry for the long-ish and maybe a bit of a dampener of a post. It's just that these thoughts were scurrying around in my mind and thought of sharing with all of you.

Drive safe,

Best....,
arjab is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:57   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm curious to know if all cars can manage to drive up steep Sandakphu roads. From whatever I've read in travelogues here, only 4×4 cars can manage to reach it. Or am I missing something ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Even Polo has done it though they stopped 5 km short due to bad weather. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=epmUKTNRTOY
I would love to be proved wrong, as I myself want a 2wd to scale Sandakphu!

But from all the pics and videos shared about this drive, I can't find a single pic/video from the Sandakphu top. Hope I have not missed one! If not, the last point shown here is at Gairibas, which is 4 km before Sandakphu. Till last year, the last 4 km needed a 4wd. I have no idea what it is now!

The pics and videos show this ground as the last point! It's at Gairibas.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-75627425_3535774593161075_308055485628547072_n.jpg

Hope Tata shows a picture/video with the Sandakphu - 0 km milestone or a pic in front of SherpaChalet or Sandakphu top soon!

Now coming to the car. Driving till Gairibas in a 2wd car in itself is an achievement.
But god save those people who will try to reach Sandakphu with a 2wd vehicle after getting inspired from this video!

And lastly, I hope the sales guys won't use this video on the unsuspecting customers to show what this car is capable of! The 'behind the scene' factor of such videos is always hidden. The same was with the Polo too, when Evo guys took it on to this road.

If anyone wants to see the last 4 km stretch, this is how it was in 2019!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th October 2021 at 14:14. Reason: Edited: Evo, not Powerdrift
Samba is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:05   #923
BHPian

Very good point Samba and Arjan. That road is very very difficult. Samantha knows that like back of her hand. Seeing this video people shouldn't get encouraged to try it out. On the destination end the last flat land is Gairibas. But then the video shows the car crossing some of the steep curves which are at the last leg.
Whatever it is the car looks promising. My guess is the price will be at par with Kiger NA variants with the top end demanding Kiger turbo petrol money.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:19   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Punch to launch on 20th October. Tata motors says the Punch will do 0-60kph in 6.5 and 0-100kph in 16.5 seconds.
Looks like Diesel will be the better engine choice, my 125CC scooter does 0 to 60 in less than 7 seconds, hope the claimed figure is for the AMT variant.
Old 5th October 2021, 08:18   #925
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I haven't been following this thread. But is Diesel being offered in Punch? I was under the impression 'petrol only'
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Looks like Diesel will be the better engine choice, my 125CC scooter does 0 to 60 in less than 7 seconds, hope the claimed figure is for the AMT variant.
Old 5th October 2021, 08:33   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sorry I haven't been following this thread. But is Diesel being offered in Punch? I was under the impression 'petrol only'
Looks like it's me who haven't followed this thread recently. Kept checking this thread only till speculation and spy shots, looks like this is going to be one slow SUV.
Old 5th October 2021, 09:29   #927
BHPian

Although 0-100 in 16.xx seconds cannot be classified as nimble, it is no slouch either for a kind of car Punch is. This is just one of the many parameters of a vehicle. I am of the belief that Tata have probably geared the Punch for better low end grunt than outright acceleration. I might be completely wrong here, but the promotional videos at-least suggest so. We generally tend to go only by the numbers with regards to on-road performance- bhp/ps rating, torque rating, number of cylinders and for that matter even the number of gears. Quite a few of us(including me), on occasions fail to realise that gearing has a major say in a vehicle's performance. Just to clarify my viewpoint, consider good old Mahindra UVs. Power ratings, acceleration figures may not be hair raising. Forget 4 speed, even with a 3 speed gearbox, low end grunt the UVs possess is immense and the fun to drive character is beyond words. I know, Punch can't be compared to the rugged UVs. I am only talking from the gearing perspective. I am also pretty sure, folks who have ridden Hero Honda CD100 on broken rural roads will not disagree.

Soon to be published drive reports will surely reveal more.

Last edited by Emvi : 5th October 2021 at 09:36.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:41   #928
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch media drives begin.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_093958.jpg

The tail lights get the tri-arrow design.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094004.jpg

Meteor Bronze dual-tone

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094015.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094635.jpg

Tornado Blue dual-tone

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094017.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094025.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094639.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_094033.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211005_095558.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1633408124389.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1633408127203.jpg

Tata never disappoints with Easter eggs, here's one on Punch

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1633408130325.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1633408136444.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fb_img_1633408139112.jpg

Source : CarandBike, Evo India

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th October 2021 at 10:02.
Venkatesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:26   #929
Senior - BHPian

Tata's PR team accidentally hints at a high crash test rating for the Punch?
Name:  Screenshot 20211005 at 10.01.37 AM.png
Views: 385
Size:  575.1 KB
Will likely be revealed during the market launch like with the Tigor EV.

I'm happy Tata is bringing affordable safety to more segments but I really wonder how they intend to score well without Electronic Stability Control and side head protection airbags which are requirements for higher Global NCAP stars starting next year.
For example, for the year 2022 (it becomes more stringent for later years):
Besides qualifying for the minimum required scores for each star in the front and side impact, and meeting some seatbelt reminder requirements, the following requirements have to be met including GTR9-compliant pedestrian protection:
  • 3 stars: ESC optional on at least one variant
  • 4 stars: GTR8 compliant ESC meeting certain fitment rates, side head protection optional on at least one variant with performance verified by in-house test data
  • 5 stars: GTR8 compliant ESC meeting certain fitment rates identical to that for four stars, side head protection fit on at least 30% of variants sold with performance verified by a lateral pole test sponsored with Global NCAP
The Punch does not meet any of these and I wonder what Tata would do if Global NCAP decides to assess/reassess the Punch next year. The masses would not take kindly to a two-star Tata, even if the protocol is different (something many will very likely fail to understand).

Last edited by ron178 : 5th October 2021 at 10:49.
ron178 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:59   #930
Senior - BHPian

What is the point of mentioning Performance Figures, when they are this poor?
Even vehicles which have sub 11s timings are shying away from these kind of claims.
Also, rather than outright performance, roll-on figures i.e. drivability numbers make more sense.

Nevertheless, this is a charming design, and is arguably much more butch in appearance that it's competitors.
We can safely assume that this will a great performer at the sales chart, just like it's elder cousin Nexon.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks