Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 01:38   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
That would defeat the whole purpose of these alarms actually. The whole point (absolute insanity in my opinion, but still) is that they are supposed to be difficult to reconfigure or switch off, because otherwise everybody will just connect to the OBD and switch it off or raise the speed limit so it doesn't bug them,
The rule mandates that the buzzer should be implemented in a way it cannot be turned off by the user. However, from how I see the implementation it would be possible to turn it off by using a manufacturer specific diagnostic device, which theoretically is not accessible by an end user. However, with the regular OBD devices it would not be possible.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st November 2018 at 01:39.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 05:37   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
That would defeat the whole purpose of these alarms actually. The whole point (absolute insanity in my opinion, but still) is that they are supposed to be difficult to reconfigure or switch off, because otherwise everybody will just connect to the OBD and switch it off or raise the speed limit so it doesn't bug them,

As far as I can figure out, these buzzers will only irritate people. Yes, back seat drivers and passengers in a taxi would probably like it because it easily tells them the approximate speed the driver is doing, but the risk is it bugs the driver and thus makes him irritable, leading to a greater risk of an accident.

I am going to avoid buying a new car with this stupid contraption if at all possible. A used car will do fine for me.
My 7 year old Yeti has a speed control warning setting which I have left set at 60kmph ever since I bought it. As I exceed this speed, it pings to warn me and thats all.
However, living in the brilliantly traffic laden and pot hole ridden city of Bengalooru, I rarely ever hear that “ping” because I am perpetually toddling along in 2nd and 3rd gear and barely get above 30-40kmph in city traffic.
Old 21st November 2018, 12:34   #138
Team-BHP Support

Here are a a couple of videos showing the speed alert system works in the Maruti Ciaz facelift. When the car crosses 80 km/h, the speed warning system beeps twice every 60 seconds:

When the car crosses 120 km/h, it beeps continuously:

Some drivers will find this irritating and the system cannot be turned off. We won't argue with the 120 km/h beeping as no Indian highway has speed limits higher than that. However, many expressways do allow you to legally cruise at 100 km/h. Why should you be bothered with two beeps every minute? Your ears will be ringing with beeps after a 10-hour drive!

We're sure that the after-market will come up with ways to disable this system.
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

This wont work. Government of India underestimates the levels to which Indians can go to avoid following rules.

What would work is, what if there was a mechanism to increase an engine's fuel consumption DRASTICALLY post 120 kmph? Just some sort of different map. Nothing will make Indians slow down, than seeing their petrol tanks getting emptier faster than usual.

I am like half-kidding about this, but it would be hilarious if someone manufacturer does it.

The sad part is the need for the measures in the first place. Why is it that that in the fastest growing country economically, top 5 biggest car-market, with a fairly educated and modern societ our safety-standards and driving standards are so abysmally low, that we need such negative reinforcement as if we are monkeys, to get us to adhere to rules.
avishar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 12:41   #140
BHPian

I would love to have the sound alerts implemented on the usage of Highbeams. It could be like 1 beep a minute for the first 2 minutes and then a continuous beep. I am sure there are times where using a high beam in absolutely necessary but such instances are rare. Most of the times it is used for driving around city with ample street lights. Driving in the night would a lot less stressful and safe compared to the menace created now.
harsh_66328 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 23:53   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a chance to drive my elder brother's S-Cross with speed alert system on NH48(NH8) in Gurgaon over quite some distance. My observations -
1. The speed alert at 80kmph is slight and gets masked in traffic as well as audio sound. Well, even if you are driving without audio system, that beep isn't obtrusive. My first drive was at 3am in morning and hardly had any distraction to driving. Infact it was alerting me that I'm crossing 80kmph when I was busy trying to stay away from the truckers at dead of the night. And with the audio playing your songs, the beep is hardly noticeable. Plus 1 to this speed alert at 80kmph.
2. I didn't touch 120kmph even when overtaking so can't say about continuous beep. But I can for sure say this again that our roads and people are INCAPABLE of handling high speed traffic. Even on expressway, I feel 100-110kmph is a decent speed. Safety is more important than anything else.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 16:09   #142
BHPian

Will this affect CBU imports as well ? What about manufacturers who assemble CKD kits here ? Or is this only for cars manufactured here in their entirety ?
Old 27th February 2019, 21:33   #143
BHPian

This is how the EU is handling this issue:

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/man...n-three-years?

"Sitting among a range of new safety features due for all new cars, the mandatory speed limiters come as part of a proposal from the European Transport Safety Council, recently approved by a group of key MEPs.
Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be engaged every time a car is started."
Old 27th February 2019, 23:39   #144
BANNED

Disgusting rule. Hope German manufacturers make it as slightly audible as possible. Hopefully the sweet catback exhausts and stellar audio systems mask this nuisance. I'm annoyed at the rare times I get in the creta, too many beeps and chimes vs my silent polo or even tractor diesel Ameo
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 09:03   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
We're sure that the after-market will come up with ways to disable this system.
This is the same beep that we here when either you keep the lights ON after switching OFF the engine or when you carry the key fob by mistake when the engine is running. I will not be surprised if all these features lose the audible alarm if one tries to disable the speed alert.
Old 28th February 2019, 10:03   #146
Team-BHP Support

With the combination of these safety measures and the inevitability of hybrids EV (although EVs need not equate to boring), I increasingly think my next car post the 3 GT will have the following top drivers by far:

# uber comfort as a passenger;
# practicality / flexibility; and
# reliability,

... over a long period of ownership.

I don't think fun to drive will even matter any more.
Old 18th April 2019, 08:26   #147
BHPian

Happy to report that the 80kph warning buzzer on the 10 Gen Civic is very tolerable, with the chime Honda has chosen, and the fact that you can set chime levels globally (I have chosen Low). Buzzer sounds once in 2 mins, unlike Maruti where it is 30 seconds.

Just an input to those considering the vehicle.
vipul_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 16:29   #148

Adventure friendly petrol hatchback but without Beep

Good Day Fellow Bhpians,
With the introduction of new standards and rules for automobiles in India, vehilcles are definetely becoming safer.
But there is one feature however, which I would not like to have in my next car and that is speed alert system.
As per this soon to be mandatory feature, the car will make a beep every minute once the car crosses 80 kmph.
Me and my family love to go on roadtrips, and their are plenty of highway stretches where one can ride safely above 80 kmph. But this beep will replace the happiness with headache.

My needs are simple and pretty common;
1. Safe, reliable, and comfortable for a small family.
2. The car will be ridden 50% highway, 30% city, and 20% in north & north-east India
3. Good after sales support, parts availability, and service network across India
4. Does not beep above 80 kmph

My budget is 6 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.

There are a few cars that I think suit my needs, and here is that list with the reasons why I like/dislike them:
Following are my thoughts, which are based on articles in various automobile websites and youtube]
1. Etios Liva ->
Pros: Although this car is at the end of its life cycle, there are already so many them on the road that I think parts and service will not be an issue. Can rely on Toyota's build quality and service. Engine is built to last. Has ISFOFIX anchorage for child seat.
Cons: The current generation is the absolute last for this model. Reverse parking sensors only in top variant.
2. Tiago NRG ->
Pros: Good ground clearence, good build in the sense that car can take a beating, new Revotron engines have stood the test of time, comfortable seats. Ride and handling good for all kinds of roads. Revese parking sensor, good sound system, 3d maps (I dont care about android / iOS connectivity to car)
Cons: I am not sure that the combination of 3-cylinder engine (without balancer shaft) and low NVH levels will be good for long drives. Many have complained about the poor after sales service. Also some minor niggles regarding fit and finish. Doesn't have ISOFIX.
3. Ignis & Baleno -> Already have the beep, so ignored.
4. Swift & Grand i10 -> Too city oriented, so does not match my needs.
5. Freestyle ->
Pros: Comparitively better engine refinement for a 3-cylinder engine, not sure about NVH levels, road noise, wind noise at high speeds. Highest ground clearence in this list.
Cons: The base model is too basic and the next variant is out of my budget. Also Ford is stoping independent operations in India and will only work in a Joint Venture with Mahindra. And I dont think it will have a positive impact on the service and parts availablility of its cars (but then I dont exactly know the details of this transition)
6. Elite i20 ->
Pros: It does everything moderately good, but looks damn good while doing it.
Cons: Also at the end of its lifecycle. I still havent heard about the next generation i20 though. The base model is too basic and the next variant is out of my budget.
7. Pre-owned TUV300 (2018 - 19 model) -> Whenever I get a good deal on a good condition T6 or T8 variant.

So my dear fellow BHPians,
Please share your valuable feedback and experiences, and help me decide my next car before the Beep kills the joy of travelling. The speed alert system becomes mandatory on 1st July 2019. I was initially going to wait for some good discount before the BNVSAP regulations set in from October 2019, but I guess I will now have to buy much earlier.

Thanks in advance and forgive me for any mistakes I did above.
Old 26th May 2019, 20:15   #149
BHPian

Re: Adventure friendly petrol hatchback but without Beep

There are two simple ways to stop the BEEP
1. Disconnect the beeping buzzer
2.Remove the speed recognizing sensor
3.Put an ear plug in both your ears
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 21:02   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Adventure friendly petrol hatchback but without Beep

If you aren't consistently above 120, you'll hardly notice with a half decent music system on. Been driving one for the last 13K kms that are mostly on highways the last 6 months.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks