Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

Shouldn't be a botheration for city drivers - most cities have speed limits capped around 50/60 kmph. One beep per minute while going over 80 kmph is fine for that occasional overtaking / emergency situation.
Even our highways (a majority of them atleast) are not safe for driving over 80-90 kmph due to jaywalking / animals / illegally parked vehicles.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Why not speed limit all vehicles, including the mercs and bmws and ferraris to 120kmph? Why only a warning? Also, build more speed breakers, rumble strips, which are already dotting our city roads and highways, without any marking. And an idiot driving down the wrong side of the road at 60kmph, makes your collision speed 180kmph.

Its the easiest thing to put a blanket speed limit on cars, even when new upcoming roads are capable to handling higher speeds. We should be building better roads with proper engineering, prosecuting wrong side driving severely and remove death traps like speed breakers.

Instead, all the time, we just want to slow down the vehicles, put arbitrary speed limits and then earn money by prosecution. 80kmph on Mumbai Pune expressway (pls correct me if i am wrong), 100 kmph of Yamuna and Agra Lucknow highway. These are silly speed limits given the capabilities of modern cars and the roads. I know it seems like a rant, but i feel so frustrated with everyone blaming "speed" and ignoring other issues that should be resolved to make your drive faster and smoother.

Rgds

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2018 at 08:27. Reason: Please club your sentences together into paragraphs - thanks
VineetG is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there a news sometime back that the speed limits on express highways were to be increased to 100kmph or 120 kmph? I hope these buzzers will be programmable for such increase in future. Or maybe there can be local jugaads that disable such buzzers.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:49   #19
BHPian

While this is a good initiative but I feel that in the long run it would be more effective if it were to be linked with the GPS system so that the speed alerts would be in sync with the speed limits where the car is at that point in time.

But of course if this is to happen than the government will also need to re visit the speed limits specially with the new highways and freeways being built.
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like a silly rule to me. I doubt it will be very effective. Thought up by policitician with no bearing on reality I imagine.

Lots of research exist on how to get a driver/pilot to pay attention to a certain condition. A single or continuous beep on something that is not an immediate danger is not very effective to the point where it usually gets ignored completely.

When it comes to overspeeding there are three types of drivers I believes:

Those that never speed
They are likely the ones are always way below any speed limit, because they are extremely cautious or nervous or inexperienced, possibly all three. The beeper will never go off and these are not the persons likely to involved in accidents due to overspeeding.

Those that occossionaly go a little bit to fast
Your typical good, experienced conscious driver knows what he is doing, knows the speed limits, but might occosionally wander sligthly above it. They might actually respond to the bleep now and then.

Notorious overspeeders
No matter what these guys will be driving too fast. Not just on a motorway, but on any stretch of road they will be speeding. Nothing is going to stop them and certainly a littel buzzer isnt going to hold them back.

Also, it should be extremely easy to disable. If anything you just stick a screwdriver into the little speaker. Undoing the wire underneath the dashboard would likely take marginally longer. And probably by the end of day one when the first car with this feature gets delivered, somebody can disable it through the software.

I am not quite sure about India, but as far as I can recall from all sorts of statistics, overspeeding on motorways (i.e. at speeds more than 120 km/) isn't a big contributor towards accidents with fatalities. Of course, if an accident happens at those speeds it tends to be pretty severe, if not horrific.

Doing 140 km/h on a motorway with a speed limit of 120 km/h is most likely to be a lot safer than doing 80 km/h in an area where the speed limit is 60 km/h.

I am not advocating speeding at all, but I just don't get why they believe this might make any difference at all.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd August 2018 at 12:20.
Jeroen is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am sure, the great indian "jugaad" has already devised a way to mute the beeps. Am sure this will be the latest "to-do" thing in the aftermarket accessory fitting industry
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
I am sure, the great indian "jugaad" has already devised a way to mute the beeps. Am sure this will be the latest "to-do" thing in the aftermarket accessory fitting industry
a la AHO bypass switches in bikes !
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another dumb idea from our crazy statist government (and this is not a political comment - the bureaucrats tend to be the source of all such ideas). Why should there be a hardware speed lock, which does not consider road conditions? 140 kph on a empty road is perfectly safe - 40 kph in a road filled with pedestrians is not safe. If we have better roads 10 years from now where speeds of 140 are safe, we will still have old cars driving too slow on them to avoid beeps or because they have been fitted with speed governors.

The other move they have done is misusing speed camera technology to impose fines on people crossing obscenely low speed limits - the best case in point being the 30 KPH limit on the JJ flyover. This forces folks to slow down suddenly on the flyover just before the speed cameras, which could cause accidents.
Hayek is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

As pointed by many, there are very few roads where speeds in excess of 120kmph can be achieved. Moreover, there are few roads that have this particular speed limit. It's a good move but instead of constant beeps at 120kmph, it should have been fixed at 140 or 150kmph. At 120kmph, there could have been an intermittent beep at every 10 seconds and 20 seconds at 80kmph. Anyway, in my part of country, I have rarely exceeded 100kmph and that too only for overtaking otherwise I drive generally at 70-80kmph.

The Maruti Brezza silently got this feature with launch of AGS variant. It's present in all variants of Brezza manufactured post AGS launch, even the manual ones.

Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019-screenshot_20180822131629__01.jpg

Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019-screenshot_20180822131624__01.jpg
This is from owner's manual.
Image courtesy - Dr Parvez, Club Brezza.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2018 at 07:30. Reason: Thread heading edited, Brezza reference added
BoneCollector is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

This serves no purpose. Someone who is overly cautious will never hear it beep. And an enthusiast who wants to drive at over 120 kmph on a track day will surely have access to third parties who can disable it.

Imposing speed limiters or buzzers will not help. Tractors, auto rickshaws (some of them with 10 people or so) etc should be made illegal on the highway and registration/license should be permanently cancelled and vehicle seized.

Many highways in the country can surely take high speeds if people are disciplined with lanes and driving. Indiscipline should not be tolerated. Also, driving licenses should not handed over like credit card brochures in the first place.
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:21   #26
BANNED

Why should there be beeping at 80kmph every minute? Why can't the rest of my family catch some peaceful sleep in the backseat? This is just another short sighted solution to a problem that the govt is not interested enough to fix.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:23   #27
BHPian

In my opinion repeated beeps beyond 80 kph are not necessary, a single beep makes sense. But repeated beeps beyond 120kph or even better 130kph sounds like a good idea. A majority of the cars out there on the highway doing more than 120 kph are not safe. If an unfortunate incident should occur it will most likely result in a fatal accident.

I'm also sure that adding a switch to this speaker will become a standard aftermarket modification like tinting, seat covers etc. atleast for taxis.
Whiplash7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:38   #28
BHPian

For a non-programmable beeper, I support 1 beep after 80kph and repeated beeps after 130. Anything more is punishing the motorist, just because the Governnent can.

I also suspect that some manufacturers are going to incorporate the beep through the audio system. With many (most?) cars having a CANBUS system now, it is unlikely that this beep can be killed with a switch as there may be no dedicated wire to carry the alert. An ECU reflash may be needed, instead, which may not be recommended anyway.

Hence, regular motorists may be saddled with repeated beeps for hours and hours on the highway, even though they are driving safely and within the speed limit. Pathetic state of affairs, especially the 80kph repeated beep!

Last edited by vipul_singh : 22nd August 2018 at 14:52.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
What is the problem for anyone here?
That speed limits in general are unscientific and insensitive to relative dynamic capabilities of both the vehicle and the driver. The problem is that our transport minister himself travels in a motorcade so I wouldn't expect him to understand anything about driving.

For example a noob can take a long sweeping curve on the highway at 120 in 6th gear and then if he/she tries to swerve out of the way in the same gear to avoid a buffalo, they might end up "losing control" since they don't understand how to manage weight shift.

At the same time someone who knows how to drive properly could easily do the same in a less capable car as well.

Driver differences apart, what about differences in cars? A tall 1st gen Scorpio might be dangerous at 120kph since the high center of gravity will mean it might topple over in case of emergency evasive maneuvers, and the poor brakes will mean that its stopping distances are too long to be deemed safe. Yet at the same time a Fiat Linea will easily shed speed in much less time and distance so it stands to reason that if the Scorpio is allowed to do 120, the Linea ought to be able to go faster right?

This is the plight of the enthusiast. There might be a few who blindly support whatever rules are passed without thinking that they are made by people in power who don't even have any enthusiasm for the subject they are in power of, and don't even uphold their responsibility to handout driver's licences only to those who truly know how to share the road with other users, yet pass such knee-jerk reaction laws freely. But there are also people like me who would like to go more in-depth when trying to reason things out especially when it comes to the encroachment of our freedoms, abilities and passions.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd August 2018 at 14:54.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Speed beeps in the new Ciaz might be hinting at a new upcoming policy from the Govt to make speed beeps mandatory in cars.

Here's the same in action -
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmulyYch...=10zs5pum8sjlw
This looks like the same beep that comes when you forget to remove your key and open the door, it can be easily removed me thinks, just disconnect that buzzer, you will lose the buzzer when the key is not removed and the door is unlocked and opened and you will not get a sound when you exceed the speed, simple

I think this should be an easy fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks