Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:23   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

If the rules say this buzzer needs to be present, whether we like it or not, we are going to have to live with it.

Having driven a car with the buzzer, I feel on big four / six-lane highways, 80 km/h is a rather low limit and you get the feeling that the buzzer sounds even before the car has gained a decent speed. The intermittent beeping is irritating, but you tend to get used to it. On undivided highway, the buzzer is a good warning to keep the car within the speed limits. On a regular commute inside city limits, there is no problem as you are unlikely to touch 80 km/h.

Coming to the 120 km/h limit, with the sort of accidents happening every day on our roads, I think it's best to drive within prescribed speed limits. Besides, I don't know of any road in India with a speed limit over 120 km/h. Yet, I have seen cars being driven at much higher speeds. The continuous beeping from the buzzer will at least keep reminding the driver that he should drive at a legal speed.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:06   #47
BHPian

Owning the new Brezza, I am irritated by the buzzer sound. Thanks to the good music system and the engine noise, the buzzer sound is barely heard during highway drives. However I feel this is a good and simple system to help the drivers stay alert. I also feel there should be on option to turn off or override the buzzer sound after a particular time limit say 2mins or so.
sairamboko is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The max allowed speed limit in India is 120 Kmph. This car supposedly emits a beep continuously if one goes past it.

What is the problem for anyone here? That you can't break the law in peace?
While I agree to the point above, what about the efforts of making the roads capable of higher speeds (Higher than 120 KMPH)? Is there any thought in that direction? When the entire world is moving towards faster and safer roads, we are restricting our selves with 80 Kmph and putting mandates on car designs

On lighter side, I will not be surprised if there comes a justification by Government that all bad roads are designed scientifically to reduce accidents. Meaning, vehicles cannot cross the speeds of 24 KMPH and hence, no accidents and Topples even in case of Tire bursts and punctures. And Supreme courts (This is ultimate imagination , Sorry if I am crossing limits of humor) puts a ban on all road development /construction work

There was a Joke when Veerappan was alive. If Police cannnot catch Veerapan and put him into Jail to protect elephants and their tusks, then catch all elephants and put them into Jail.

Last edited by gkveda : 23rd August 2018 at 11:02.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:58   #49
BHPian

My 2015 polo beeps once when I touch 100kmph alongwith a digital console speed warning. It doesn't warn me again if I stay above 100. Seems fine to me.
amods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:04   #50
BHPian

I have set the speed limit warning on my Linea at 105kmph. It's irritating to listen to the beep often which ensures I don't go near it. So, 100 ish is usually the max I do. Safer for everyone and also gives me better efficiency.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This looks like the same beep that comes when you forget to remove your key and open the door, it can be easily removed me thinks, just disconnect that buzzer, you will lose the buzzer when the key is not removed and the door is unlocked and opened and you will not get a sound when you exceed the speed, simple

I think this should be an easy fix.
An acquaintance of mine has already worked out a solution to disable buzzer the moment auto-door lock is triggered (it links with the speed sensor) and enables it once the driver door is opened. There is no need to flash ECU or anything, its a patch that is written as add-on.

He says one can continue to enjoy the best of both worlds, the buzzer reminds in both cases i.e. key left inside and headlights on (gets enabled the moment driver door opens) whereas driver does not get speed warnings (disables the moment auto door lock triggers)!

Enabling it is equally easy while driving - just unlock the door lock while the car is moving and lock it again.

Last edited by i74js : 23rd August 2018 at 15:02.
i74js is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:40   #52
BHPian

IMO, this is a rather noble move. While the 80 kmph beep may sound absurd to a lot of us (including me!), I believe it would act as a driver wake-up alarm on the highways. Perhaps, this use of the intended feature would turn out to be even more useful
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Owning the new Brezza, I am irritated by the buzzer sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
An acquaintance of mine has already worked out a solution to disable buzzer the moment auto-door lock is triggered (it links with the speed sensor) and enables it once the diver door is opened.

Enabling it is equally easy while driving - just unlock the door lock while the car is moving and lock it again.
Hi Sairam, Can you try what i74js is suggesting? Let's see if it works.
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

I believe this is an incredibly stupid and not well thought out idea. The regulators need to stop putting the burden on private car makers with their hair-brained ideas. This makes as much sense to me as them trying to limit the temperature range on AC's.

Has a single terrorist been caught thanks to the Sun Film ban? We all suffer every day for it in on the hottest countries on earth. There are people who suffer from rare skin conditions those who could have to lead a better quality of life with sun control films. The amount of precious forex wasted because extra usage of fuel to cool the interiors of cars. Police have just used this as a reason to make money and that's all that's come out of it.

The same thing applies to this, invest that money in improving road safety with more patrolling, speed cameras, fines. I think its imperative that we as citizens need to get together and fight these rules like how the whole biking community came together going against the ISI helmet rule. These people are doing things just for the sake of doing them instead of looking at ground reality and causes of accidents and doing things to prevent those instead of in convincing citizens and costing private companies billions of rupees to add this useless buzzer.

To add to this, BMW/Triumph and others give a speed warning option in their cars. I have it enabled in both my car and motorcycle because sports cars/bikes tend to reach ludicrous speeds very fast and you don't realize it. You can select and set the speed yourself and enable/disable it at will. That's the right way of doing it in my opinion.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:35   #55
BHPian

I think in 2019, there will be a new DIY thread on how to disable this. Looking forward to it.

On a more serious note:
MY car struggles in 6th cog at speeds below 80 KMPH. So this sound at 80 is a bit intruding. Also, depends on whether the warning is a beep or an entire melody.

IMO there should be an option to alter (Reduce/increase) the speeds at which these warnings come on, which the driver does at his own risk. Having an audible warning may particularly come in handy in areas like MC road in Trivandrum that has limits of 70 KMPH and where over speeding is strictly monitored. However when I am on the open highway (Say NH 66), the car singing its own song (read as Beeps) may just be an irritant.
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:35   #56
mxh
BHPian

This is an extremely obnoxious rule according to me. As usual the government takes the route of least effort for them. Rather than improving the infrastructure, building bigger roads & highways of good quality (which is government responsibility), they choose to order car manufacturers to install these annoying buzzers/beeps. Also as the earlier poster has mentioned, sudden buzzer/beep during overtaking can actually cause an accident.
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:47   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
My 2015 polo beeps once when I touch 100kmph alongwith a digital console speed warning. It doesn't warn me again if I stay above 100. Seems fine to me.
That's a speed limit which can be set by the user. And can be disabled as well.
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:00   #58
BHPian

Trust the supremely talented bureaucrats and their masters to dream up such galling oddities.

The class of drivers who this should be the biggest derent for, taxi/truck drivers, for the most part are to be found driving with earphones embedded in their auditory canals. Let alone beeps, honking doesn't even draw their attention

Ninnies.
thedragonreborn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move by the regulatory board. Maybe, 80 Kms limit is aimed at single lane roads? There is no clarity on this. But for an expressway, 120 Kmph continuous beep helps.

Now even the passengers will start getting worried hearing the buzzer and invariably pressurize the driver to slow down. That further helps.

Problem with our roads is the unmindful traffic irrespective of the speed. If the trucks and slowing moving traffic are limited to one designated lane, people don't mind sticking to the speed limits, as the average speed improves. An average speed of say 80 Kmph will take a little more than 6 hrs to cover 500 Kms, which is decent.

Right now, even to maintain an average speed of above 50 Kmph, one has to exceed speed limits.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:15   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Problem with our roads is the unmindful traffic irrespective of the speed. If the trucks and slowing moving traffic are limited to one designated lane, people don't mind sticking to the speed limits, as the average speed improves. An average speed of say 80 Kmph will take a little more than 6 hrs to cover 500 Kms, which is decent.

Right now, even to maintain an average speed of above 50 Kmph, one has to exceed speed limits.
Thing is, if you want to 'average' 80kmph, you HAVE TO try and drive at 120-140 throughout. This is the only way you can average so much considerating how often you have to slow down for slow moving vehicles hogging the fast lanes, assorted wildlife on the roads and unruly local traffic, not to mention the time wasted on tolls and random check posts.

Any one who has some experience with long distancing on Indian highways will concur.

The need of the hour is it to increase our average speeds. This is a step backwards.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks