Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2018, 09:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Cruise at 90, and there will be beeps every 30 seconds (or so, I was not counting). I never knew a small repetitive beep can be so irritating when driving.
Contrary to your experience, the audible alarm in my freestyle doesn't actually beep repetitively. It simply makes an audible beep once you cross the specified speed limit. And goes silent after that.
However, I will again re-confirm this next time i am on the highways.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Please suggest a few good apps with the feature you have mentioned. Such apps may be very helpful while driving in unknown roads.
I've used Sygic in the past with Sharp Curve Warning turned on. Wasn't my phone though. Needless to say it isn't free. On my android I just glance at the map display from time to time to understand what's ahead.
Old 25th August 2018, 19:08   #78
BHPian

I would personally hate a beep going off every time I cross 80kmph. There are good stretches where 90-100 is doable and I certainly don't want a continuous beep then.
Like mentioned above, one beep when I cross the speed limit set for the car is okay and maybe a reminder every 5 minutes or so.

If it becomes too annoying, wouldn't there be a fuse in the fuse book to disable this feature?
Or a software hack that'll allow us to configure how many times it beeps?
Old 26th August 2018, 04:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

I'm not in favour of this move. There are valid arguments about track day and so on- selectively disabling the alert for that is a problem.

We need better driver training- only that will help us curtail accidents.

And worldwide(except parts of Germany)- the speed limits are under 120 kmph. Its only in the rare rural freeways that speeds higher than 130 kmph is permitted.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 07:50   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
80 Kmph is fine for me, beeps or no. Maybe if i've driven on the Yamuna expressway, i'd say different things.
Trust me when I say this, the Yamuna expressway is way overrated for what it is. The 4-lane highways of a major part of Tamil Nadu are way better to drive on.

Besides the traffic on the YEW, the constant thudding you hear from the road as you go over each concrete slab is a pain. I have done it 4 times in 2 years and my thoughts haven't changed.

If most of our roads have a legal limit of 80, I would like the initial warning beep at about 90 kmph and the constant beeps above 110 kmph. That way, we don't have to bear with it when doing 80-85 kmph which is doable on any highway.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 09:34   #81
BHPian

This is going to bring back memories of my childhood in the '90s when we owned Japanese cars imported from Japan. They had a similar system, after a certain period of time you just tend to ignore it. It never really stopped my dad from driving beyond the limit if and when he wanted to.
Old 26th August 2018, 21:10   #82
BHPian

I see a lot of me I, me, myself going on threads like these. My judgment, my skills, my car. Its not just about you ! Its also about the people who are not in your car !

People dont like following rules in India, period. The only thing that stops MOST of the people from breaking traffic rules is the fear of getting caught.

Whether you have a humble 800 or a screaming Lamborghini, if the book says 80kmph, you stick to it. 80 kmph is a very decent number for Indian roads, at least i think so. I dont see any need for anyone going over 120 unless the world is going to end. People talk about more training for drivers, more driver awareness and what not, but that's never going to happen in India. If you have a problem with the rules, challenge it, look for ways to give feedback. If they take it, awesome, if not, accept it!

Trust me the often cursed govt babus and bureaucrats are not as inept as you think they are.
coldice4u is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 21:54   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The rule only dictates for an audible warning once(only once) when you cross the 80kmph mark, so when you are cruising at say 90(speeds on most NH) or 110 the buzzer doesn't need to go off every 60 seconds the way it does in Brezza or Ciaz.
I don't think the buzzer beeps at 60 sec interval under 120 kmph in new Ciaz, atleast that is what I made out after watching video review.

From what I understand, it goes off once you cross 80kmph, doesn't beep again between 80 ~ 120 kmph range and then beeps continuously past 120kmph.

Infact Mahindra has a similar setup in XUV, there is a audio alert on crossing 150kmph. Past that at every increment of 20kmph there is an alert.

Not recommending those speed on highway in any manner.

Infact, my only grouse with the new alert guideline is the 80kmph beep, above 120 kmph is bit dicey on any highway. Infact, across most of the world, that is around the legal speed limit.
Old 27th August 2018, 15:55   #84
BHPian

A warning for over speeding is definitely a welcome move considering the number of accidents caused by notoriously over-speeding drivers on our roads. My only concern is regarding situations in which margin of error in judgement is very less and the audio warning causing a distraction to the driver causing an accident.
Old 27th August 2018, 16:26   #85
BANNED

I believe that our government has kind of rationality issues, last night travelling on the NE-2 or the Eastern Peripheral Expressway; I noticed a few sections where the speed limit for buses was 100 kph and cars was 120 kph. I wonder how a Ciaz will irriatate the owner there, it has simple speed based beeping system.

In a country where they have themselves limited the speed of commercial vehicles at 80 kph!
Old 28th August 2018, 11:37   #86
BHPian

Although much has been already said about these redundant speed alerts, just wanted to point out something I spotted in Ford's manual and I think is a very elegant solution.

Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019-screenshot_20180828110221__01.jpg
Old 28th August 2018, 14:38   #87
BHPian

Typical 3rd world knee jerk bureaucratic BS. So many more sensible options if it is indeed public safety in mind.

1. Governors on all buses and cab aggregators.

2. Ban cattle powered/3 wheelers on multilane national highways.

3. Motorists will not be punished for jaywalkers. (motive is to deter morons from skipping across a 4 lane highway)

4. Cycle ban on highways.

5. Impose steeper 2 wheeler tolls to reduce two wheeler usage on highway.

6. More rest stops/smoother toll collection.

7. Ethically curb dog/ small animal population on highways

8. Automated fining system for over speeders. 120 kph limit. 130 kph grace. The average speed on our highways seldom crosses 90 kph on a good day. So holding an average speed of 120 is a distant dream.

9. Agree on a limit and enforce it at the manufacturer level for locally made vehicles. Japan has a 180 kph lock. Germany a 250 kph lock etc.

Instead, what do they choose to do ? A buzzer which does nothing but annoy you till you find a way to disable it.

And if they're truly enlightened,

EV/hybrid public transport in all metros. Bangalore now has electric powered Veritos doing rounds in a small way.

Tax incentives for EV purchasers.

Doubt the petrol lobby and the 3 wheeler makers will ever let that happen, so until then, lets all choke on the stupidity and smoke of this great nation.

Rant over !
Ash_vtec is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 10:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
1. Governors on all buses and cab aggregators.
I Guess this is already in place atleast in Pune i have seen this.

Quote:
2. Ban cattle powered/3 wheelers on multilane national highways.
This relation goes way back with our country but

Quote:
3. Motorists will not be punished for jaywalkers. (motive is to deter morons from skipping across a 4 lane highway)
Government may not but mob will

I do agree with you Ash for the rest of the points However I know this buzzer has gotten me an earful every time i cross high speeds in My XUV from my Wife. So I would that is a good deterrent for high speeds with Co-Passengers at least and also it gives you a reminder to get in controlled speeds as well.
I Think the 80 KMPH warning is a bit hard but sometimes its for the good. That is my personal opinion.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th August 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Edited to remove excessive speed limits + smiley usage.
ShivrajG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 13:21   #89
BHPian

I think it is fair to say that Govt rules such as this is mean for the larger majority. As auto enthusiast, such rules do appear to constrict our passion for driving, esp when we typically drive more safely than others. But then these rules are not written with us in mind.

Sometime back when the speed audio warning was implemented in taxi cabs, many of us were happy for such a step. Now that the same rule is begin imposed on us we are getting a bit uncomfortable. As someone said, rules are rules. We need to either follow them, or chose to do things the way we want to. That choice is up to each one of us.

PS: i personally wish the initial warning speed limit was not as low as 80kmph. But as i have always followed in life, if I don't like something, either change it (do something) or keep quiet (stop cribbing).

Last edited by DriverR : 30th August 2018 at 13:30.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 13:38   #90
BHPian

few years back while Driving a rented car in Malaysia, it had a Navigation system installed to that car (Honda HRV) which not only had a sound warning, it also had Speed limit based on the road we were on, it would guide me to slow or speed up based on the set speed limit, which was very help full to ensure that i was not breaking rules and also ensuring that i was not a road block to others.

If my memory servers me right the service was provided by Sixt.

So my view is just having a sound alarm wont help, instead a close looped system that can warn you and guide you to maintain the right speed in the right lane would be excellent.

Google maps already has the lanes covered, i am sure it would not be a huge task to implement government stipulated speed limits and guidance.

Rules are good, if followed by All.
Imagine if all drivers are traveling at specified speeds, we would never have any blockage. Today all are in a race, and hence no lane discipline, nor speed limit. Which ends up creating bottle necks.

Having driven in ASEAN extensively, can tell you INDIA has one of the widest roads, but the slowest travel time. Just because we dont follow lane and speed discipline.

Last edited by rajchetan : 30th August 2018 at 13:43.
rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed