Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 15:50   #106
Team-BHP Support

I am actually quite surprised at the general level of acceptance of this provision. (Clearly there are many better men on this forum than I). :-)

Personally, I would be very disappointed to have this feature in any car that I own. If any road allows me to drive beyond 80 kms then I find any beep at 80 (periodic or otherwise) plain annoying. Also, the reality is that I do drive my cars (in what is my subjective debatable opinion - safely) over 80 kmph and also [occasionally] over 120 kmph. I would imagine so do many others on this forum and otherwise. I would find the speed beep REALLY a frustrating reality to live with. I am not getting into whether its right or wrong, good or bad or whether other things should be done instead or this is the perfect move. I am just saying how I would feel about it - without hopefully being judged for it.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 20:32   #107
BHPian

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I can correlate to this. During last two years of college I had my dad's Enfield with me. In nearby lanes, and some times in city also, I too used to ride it in 3rd gear 30~35kmph, enjoying the musical notes escaping from exhaust. That Dhak Dhak sound is still close to my heart.

On highways though, I used to speed it upto 70kmph, but the music was lost.

Somehow, I fail to understand the fascination of newer generation for speed, may be I am growing old faster than I thought.
Dear AutoNoob,
You are not getting old! You are getting mature.
Just enjoy that feeling!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 13:51   #108
Senior - BHPian

So now a C Class, S, Class, 3 series, 5, series, 7 series will come with a buzzer which goes off at 80 and a continuous beep at 120? Hilarious.

Next they should limit horsepower too.

What happens when they build a highway which has a speed limit of 120 kmph? We have already reached 100 kmph speed limits for many highways in India.

Quite foolish and short term thinking, in the name of a change, these fools are doing just about anything which changes worked was present!
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 15:07   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
So now a C Class, S, Class, 3 series, 5, series, 7 series will come with a buzzer which goes off at 80 and a continuous beep at 120? Hilarious.

Next they should limit horsepower too.

What happens when they build a highway which has a speed limit of 120 kmph? We have already reached 100 kmph speed limits for many highways in India.

Quite foolish and short term thinking, in the name of a change, these fools are doing just about anything which changes worked was present!
Is there ANY place in the world, speed limits being different for different class of cars? If no, (clearly so), one can't make a case for Lamborghini should be allowed to beep at higher speed limit compared to 800!

If and when highways accommodate higher speeds (am aware Gadkari saying they are already thinking along those lines), it would not require rocket science to reset those limits!

Bottom line is, while this single step may not solve our wayward and maniac killer drivers (and we can see them every time we step out into any highway), will be a step in right direction, while other measures are thought of and implemented!
sumeet007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 17:57   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
Is there ANY place in the world, speed limits being different for different class of cars? If no, (clearly so), one can't make a case for Lamborghini should be allowed to beep at higher speed limit compared to 800!

I dont think he made the case anywhere that there should be a different speed limit for the beep in high end vs smaller cars. His point was generally at the prospect of the beep, illustrated in the context of powerful cars.

You can of course disagree on whether the beep is a good move or not.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:59   #111
BANNED

@Axe77; I also think this is a silly law. If I want to go 'over the top' I will. I am sure the alarm can be easily muted / disabled. If some fools decide to drive at insane speeds they will. Also, while speed kills, what about ethanol. Adding a breathalyzer would have made more sense.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 09:40   #112
Senior - BHPian

What would manufacturers advertise.

The 0-80 beep in 5.3 seconds and the 0-120 beep in 9.2 seconds :

This beep will be frustrating. It will keep buzzing even if you need to increase speed to overtake and may cause confusion and affect the concentration and the decision making ability of the driver for a split second and cause accidents. Has this been researched?

A Ferrari with a limited top speed of 120 kmph, available only as a limited edition in India. :
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 12:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post

If and when highways accommodate higher speeds (am aware Gadkari saying they are already thinking along those lines), it would not require rocket science to reset those limits!

Bottom line is, while this single step may not solve our wayward and maniac killer drivers (and we can see them every time we step out into any highway), will be a step in right direction, while other measures are thought of and implemented!
The point I was making was it would be quite hilarious for an S class or a Porsche driver to have such a feature in the car was my, I am not saying anything should have a higher beep than anything else.

According to me this is a Class A foolish move, you can't keep a check on everything a person does, we are not kids, these fools don't want to build the infrastructure like western countries to curb speed limits by installing camera's, having strict enforcement etc, all they want to do is put the blame on the user, find the easy way out by curbing his freedom in whatever way they can and call it a law, the cabs having a speed governors set at 80, imagine an automatic Innova cab which does not go to its top gear because it cannot get to 6th gear at 80.

Definition of who is a manic will keep changing according to times, a vehicles speed beeps remain as the life of a vehicle is quite long and going to the service station to get the speed limit beeps changed is quite short term thinking, its a lot of numbers we are talking about, there should be no speed limits or beeps set on the vehicles, the law should enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I dont think he made the case anywhere that there should be a different speed limit for the beep in high end vs smaller cars. His point was generally at the prospect of the beep, illustrated in the context of powerful cars.

You can of course disagree on whether the beep is a good move or not.
Yes, you are right, that was my point
Old 11th September 2018, 21:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

A more sane way to track speed.

Bangalore traffic police have installed speed radars on the International Airport road.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/65760274.cms
Old 1st October 2018, 07:52   #115
Team-BHP Support

If anyone on this forum has bought a recently launched car with the beep feature I would be interested to hear from them on their experiences.

How has it been living with this feature.

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2018, 17:23   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How has it been living with this feature.

Thanks.
Not exactly a car bought recently but I can comment on the beep feature. I am using Fiat Punto 2010 1.2 ACTIVE and I'm one of the regular users of this 'speed beep' feature. I've set the beep at 105 kmph so that I can cruise comfortably around 100 kmph. I have experimented changing the speed beep kmph number depending on drive but I find alert at 105-110 to be sufficient for any kind of drive. A few pointers...

1) Habit: The beep isn't irritating to me at all, it's a good signal to simply step off the accelerator. You get habituated to it and there's volume control option in MID settings (just in case you know). I don't recall anything else making a beep sound from MID control, people might simply mute MID sound to not hear this beep.
2) Fuel economy: Huge increase in fuel economy over long distance driving. At 1,16,000 kms of driving, I am still getting a fuel economy of 16 to 17 kmpl on petrol on highway stretches (and if there's a slope, even higher ). Over the past weekend, driving from Hinjewadi to Thane GB Road, I got a whopping 16.8 kmpl including the city drive sections and traffic jams.
3) Better control: I'm not that scared of a 2-wheeler entering in from a median gap or such similar risky events occurring on road. That speed of 100 kmph is perfect to be in control and brake comfortably.
4) Assurance: When there is family, new members, those scared of someone else driving etc., I am able to convince and give a high level of confidence due to this feature.
5) Lesser jerks: No panic braking leads to not just better confidence but better level of comfort. This is extremely useful while driving with 3 or 4 on board the car. You don't get that tag of a 'rough/rash driver' but people do enjoy your smooth driving.
6) Better sleep: Especially on long and night drives, my co-passengers get to sleep better due to the smooth movement with minimal deviation in speed.

Further, this helps me in anticipatory driving. For eg., I get to see relatively empty toll lanes from a far away due to speed in control, overtaking manoeuvers can be planned from a far distance. However, this point is purely dependent on someone's driving style. Must add that light-footed drivers would enjoy this feature.
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:12   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Not exactly a car bought recently but I can comment on the beep feature. I am using Fiat Punto 2010 1.2 ACTIVE and I'm one of the regular users of this 'speed beep' feature. I've set the beep at 105 kmph so that I can cruise comfortably around 100 kmph. I have experimented changing the speed beep kmph number depending on drive but I find alert at 105-110 to be sufficient for any kind of drive. A few pointers...

1) Habit: The beep isn't irritating to me at all, it's a good signal to simply step off the accelerator. You get habituated to it and there's volume control option in MID settings (just in case you know). I don't recall anything else making a beep sound from MID control, people might simply mute MID sound to not hear this beep.
2) Fuel economy: Huge increase in fuel economy over long distance driving. At 1,16,000 kms of driving, I am still getting a fuel economy of 16 to 17 kmpl on petrol on highway stretches (and if there's a slope, even higher ). Over the past weekend, driving from Hinjewadi to Thane GB Road, I got a whopping 16.8 kmpl including the city drive sections and traffic jams.
3) Better control: I'm not that scared of a 2-wheeler entering in from a median gap or such similar risky events occurring on road. That speed of 100 kmph is perfect to be in control and brake comfortably.
4) Assurance: When there is family, new members, those scared of someone else driving etc., I am able to convince and give a high level of confidence due to this feature.
5) Lesser jerks: No panic braking leads to not just better confidence but better level of comfort. This is extremely useful while driving with 3 or 4 on board the car. You don't get that tag of a 'rough/rash driver' but people do enjoy your smooth driving.
6) Better sleep: Especially on long and night drives, my co-passengers get to sleep better due to the smooth movement with minimal deviation in speed.

Further, this helps me in anticipatory driving. For eg., I get to see relatively empty toll lanes from a far away due to speed in control, overtaking manoeuvers can be planned from a far distance. However, this point is purely dependent on someone's driving style. Must add that light-footed drivers would enjoy this feature.
Mate spot on regarding your observations and points made. I too am a Punto 90 HP MJD owner and have set the speed beep @ 120 km/hr.

I had bought my Punto few months post my US trip and many times would cross speeds higher than 120 km/hr. Not that a Fiat can't handle such speeds. But I noticed that even my wife started crossing 120 km/hr quite regularly without actually noticing the speeds. Hence we have set the speed beep @ 120 km/hr.

But what you are missing here is in Fiat the beep happens only once and if you cross that speed it doesn't continue. You have to reduce the speed and then go beyond the same speed again to get the beep.

Think of a situation if the same beep keeps alarming you every 60 seconds and that too @ 80 km/hr bang in middle of a high speed overtaking move on a long trailer truck. It would be as dangerous as much as it would be frustrating.

Last edited by nibedk : 1st October 2018 at 19:12. Reason: Correction
Old 10th October 2018, 17:06   #118
BHPian

An open question to the forum, if speeds above 120 kmph are illegal in India, logically, don't ALL cars become party to this illegality, since they can easily hit speeds in excess of that? Shouldn't the manufacturers restrict cars to this speed only, at the max (not saying I'm supporting that they should, but just arguing facts).
superbad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 23:00   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Shouldn't the manufacturers restrict cars to this speed only, at the max
1) what if the car is taken to tracks / private roads where there is no speed limitation?
I know not every car is being taken to track, but we couldn't restrict any buyer doing the same. Or ask A.S.S to remove restrictions for off road use alone.

2) what if the rule on speed limit changes in future? Recalling every car and updatung the speed limiter setting is another headache
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 23:36   #120
BHPian

My 2 cents on the Speed Beep. I have used 2 cars and including the one I have now with the speed buzzer. I believe it is a useful feature, it gives you an idea that you have crossed the limits that are acceptable on our road. Previous cars were, Fiat Punto and Skoda Rapid. They only beep once and you can set the speed of beep.

About continuous beeping, I believe these exist way back in 2012 in UAE. I think the members in UAE can clarify. My friend has a Civic it constantly beeped after crossing 120km/hr. It was not that irritating but somewhat more attentive. We had the chance to drive so many other cars due to line of work and they all had it. From Mini Coupe JC to Audi A8L! So either it's a good sign our road networks have improved or the govt just passing another rule made for EU!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks