Team-BHP - Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/201117-audible-speed-alerts-mandatory-july-2019-a.html)

The new Facelift Maruti Ciaz has an audible warning for over-speeding, which cannot be switched off by the driver. The car starts giving intermittent audible alerts at speeds above 80 kph and there is continuous audible warning beyond speed of 120 kph.

This system is in compliance with a mandatory government regulation. All cars, July 2019 onwards, will have this and few other safety features mandated by government.

The post below by AutoNoob explains the reason for the system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 4447958)
There seemed to be some confusion over the exact nature of the speed alert. So, I dug out the government notification and Standard. This is as per AIS-145, notified via GSR 1483(E) dated 07.Dec.2017.

"Motor vehicles of category M1, manufactured on and after the 1st day of July, 2019, shall comply with the additional safety features and its requirements stipulated in AIS-145-2017, as amended from time to time."

It seems Maruti introduced this feature before deadline to gain marketing upper-hand for safety consciousness and also, to avoid re-work just after a year of launch. And also to avoid part provisioning hassle at service centres with regard to replacement parts (BCM, Speedo Cluster etc), in case replacement is needed.

Refer the attached files for detailed information.

Moving all related posts from Ciaz thread to an independent thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4447545)
Review indicates that it cannot be switched off. Good thing is that it works. A roundabout is to set the cruise control at a lower level:)

Speed beeps in the new Ciaz might be hinting at a new upcoming policy from the Govt to make speed beeps mandatory in cars. :Frustrati

Here's the same in action -
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmulyYch...=10zs5pum8sjlw

The max allowed speed limit in India is 120 Kmph. This car supposedly emits a beep continuously if one goes past it.

What is the problem for anyone here? That you can't break the law in peace?

Maybe they should also tie the speed limit to the navigation system so it can tell you the max allowed limit for the current road. And while they are at it, keep a log of the speeds done in most recent trip and fine the driver if they have ever gone past the 120 Kmph limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchumiFan (Post 4447749)
What is the problem for anyone here? That you can't break the law in peace?

Maybe they should also tie the speed limit to the navigation system so it can tell you the max allowed limit for the current road.

1) I *could* agree with the 120 kph buzzer, but why the warning at 80kph? What is special about 80kph?
2) If the speed limit in India is 120kph (true speed, and going by your knowledge in the matter), then the buzzer should have been set to 120kph indicated + account for speedo error + (ideally) alllowance. So more like 130kph. At the 120kph buzzer, a typical car would be doing 110.
3) Speed limits in india are unscientific. I have seen access controlled on-ramps with a 20 kph limit, while everybody takes that section at 50kph *comfortably*. A buzzer tied into the navigation system would make normal driving impossible at many places.

I also wonder if there would be a software update in case an expressway has, say, 130 kph as the speed limit.

If only this country could have proper driver training and licensing. It is the driver's responsibility to drive within road conditions and sightlines. For this reason, i find the 80kph buzzer particularly offensive.

Similar is the case with PUC. We can't fix the basics, so all sorts of blanket solutions are thought of and implemented.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipul_singh (Post 4447767)
1) I *could* agree with the 120 kph buzzer, but why the warning at 80kph? What is special about 80kph?

From the video, I heard that the beep occurs only once. Only after going past 120, the beeps becomes continuous.

For pt#2, I think you are going too microscopic to make criticism of a point. The error is going to be there for all speedometers across cars. Some more than the others. Can't make them account for that.

Pt#3, I think we have to start somewhere. We don't have highways that are devoid of cattle or human intervention in most places. I think traveling at 100-120 kmph is a good enough number to cross distances quickly. Even in the USA which has expansive roads, most places have 65 mph as the standard and goes up to 70/75 in a lot of areas. 80/90 are a rarity.

If the passengers of the vehicle start noticing the beeps and instruct the driver to slow down and follow the rules of the land, that will be a good start. Can't forever be blaming authorities because they can't catch every single crook on the road.

But I admit that we need better facilities in order to train the drivers properly and make sure the vehicle is in the hands of a responsible person.

Hoping it happens some day in our country.

This conversation around overspeeding warning is sort of baffling. If anything it should be accepted and we’ll appreciated. In dubai, most of the roads have speed limit of 120 and a lot of people set the speed alarm (which is configurable) to 120 / 118. If a developed country with flashy roads and machines that can easily do 1.5x of that speed can deploy such restrictions, why cant we do it and appreciate the regulation? Its a way better mechanism than being heftily fined, or worse being involved in an accident. And its an easier fix in a country where we love to crib about road conditions and accidents.

Apologies for the OT

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchumiFan (Post 4447778)
From the video, I heard that the beep occurs only once. Only after going past 120, the beeps becomes continuous.

For pt#2, I think you are going too microscopic to make criticism of a point. The error is going to be there for all speedometers across cars. Some more than the others. Can't make them account for that.

If the beep occurs only once every time 80 kph is crossed, it could be tolerable. Unnecessary, but tolerable.

The reason I call for a buzzer to sound at, say, 130 kph is that, given the right conditions (as per driver judgement), I am within my *right* to do 120 kph true speed. The buzzer is a *warning* system and should not sound except when I am clearly and unequivocally out-of-line.

And, with unscientifically designed limits, I am definitely not for navigation system linked warnings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaheshY1 (Post 4447792)
Speed Alert: I like this feature. For one, it encourages drivers to drive efficiently on the highways -- ideally, in top gear and with cruise control set at 80km/h. Good for nature. I'm okay living with a beep every 2 min... Those who want more should quench their thirsts on the track.

I second your thoughts as I too drive sedately on highways, following speed limit or 90~95kmph (whichever is lower). However, I have seen people driving way past the speed limit without caring for their own safety or safety of other road users. Even on Eastern Peripheral Expressway, where legal limit is 120kmph, I have seen people driving at obscene speeds.

So, I find this speed alert implementation rather pleasing. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipul_singh (Post 4447783)
If the beep occurs only once every time 80 kph is crossed, it could be tolerable. Unnecessary, but tolerable.

This image on Tbhp says that above 80 kmph, there would be 2 beeps every 60 seconds. If that is the case, then the beeps would be really annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manish84 (Post 4447855)
This image on Tbhp says that above 80 kmph, there would be 2 beeps every 60 seconds. If that is the case, then the beeps would be really annoying.

It is like this:
One beep goes off at 80 kmph & if you’re cruising at 80 kmph the beep goes off every minute.

I remember reading some pissed off posts here on TeamBHP when Honda Amaze was speed locked to 140KMPH. But here people are happy that vehicle gives warning beeps at 80KMPH and continuous nagging at 120KMPH. What's the verdict? Is Maruti 80/120KMPH audio limit better than Honda 140KMPH hard limit?!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4447923)
I remember reading some pissed off posts here on TeamBHP when Honda Amaze was speed locked to 140KMPH. But here people are happy that vehicle gives warning beeps at 80KMPH and continuous nagging at 120KMPH. What's the verdict? Is Maruti 80/120KMPH audio limit better than Honda 140KMPH hard limit?!!

It is not the question of Maruti Suzuki or Honda. Going forward from July 1st 2019 it will be compulsory need for all cars to have this.

link

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4447680)
Speed beeps in the new Ciaz might be hinting at a new upcoming policy from the Govt to make speed beeps mandatory in cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchumiFan (Post 4447749)
The max allowed speed limit in India is 120 Kmph. This car supposedly emits a beep continuously if one goes past it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipul_singh (Post 4447767)
2) If the speed limit in India is 120kph (true speed, and going by your knowledge in the matter), then the buzzer should have been set to 120kph indicated + account for speedo error + (ideally) alllowance. So more like 130kph. At the 120kph buzzer, a typical car would be doing 110...
I also wonder if there would be a software update in case an expressway has, say, 130 kph as the speed limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaheshY1 (Post 4447792)
Speed Alert: I like this feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manish84 (Post 4447855)
This image on Tbhp says that above 80 kmph, there would be 2 beeps every 60 seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4447923)
Is Maruti 80/120KMPH audio limit better than Honda 140KMPH hard limit?!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4447927)
Going forward from July 1st 2019 it will be compulsory need for all cars to have this. link

There seemed to be some confusion over the exact nature of the speed alert. So, I dug out the government notification and Standard. This is as per AIS-145, notified via GSR 1483(E) dated 07.Dec.2017.

"Motor vehicles of category M1, manufactured on and after the 1st day of July, 2019, shall comply with the additional safety features and its requirements stipulated in AIS-145-2017, as amended from time to time."

It seems Maruti introduced this feature before deadline to gain marketing upper-hand for safety consciousness and also, to avoid re-work just after a year of launch. And also to avoid part provisioning hassle at service centres with regard to replacement parts (BCM, Speedo Cluster etc), in case replacement is needed.

Refer the attached files for detailed information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 4447958)
AIS-145-2017

Thanks for that. So the implemented is as per the rules only, just that Maruti is ahead of the others in providing this 'safety feature'.

Quote:

2. General and functional requirements Every motor vehicle of M1 category shall be equipped with at least audible warning which automatically alerts the driver whenever the motor vehicle exceeds prescribed level of speeds as mentioned below.

2.1 The audible warning shall warn the driver with frequency not less than 1 cycle/ 2 minute when vehicle speed indicated in the speedometer exceeds 80 km/h (primary level) and continuously or intermittently with frequency not less than 1 cycle/ 2 sec when the vehicle speed indicated in the speedometer exceeds 120 km/h (secondary level).

2.2 Manufacturer shall ensure that audible warning created as per 2.1 above shall be easily recognized by the driver.

2.3 The speed alert system shall be designed in such a way that the warning signal cannot be stopped by means other than control of the speed by the driver.

Interesting move. The extreme step would have been to install speed governors in all vehicles. Thankfully better sense has prevailed and this middle path has been taken. Overspeeding is becoming a major issue on our roads these days with cars becoming more and more capable of attaining high speeds. Add the ever improving quality of highways to the mix and this issue can soon get out of hand. Power needs to be handled responsibly. Sadly I don't think our driving junta is mature enough to understand this. I don't know whether any other country has adopted such a mandatory feature. We may be the first in the world!

Only downside I can think of is the possible distraction when someone is doing an overtaking manoeuvre where the speed could possible exceed the limit briefly. You don't want the driver's focus to shift away from the road in that crucial span of time. It would be nice if the beeps kicked in after 10 seconds or so of crossing the speed. I hope continuous beeps for not buckling up (atleast both front seats) are also mandated.