Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:30   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Source: CarToq

Was pleasantly surprised to see this on one of the forums. The VW official website does not mention this yet, while a dealership I enquired with did not even know of the 5 year warranty they recently launched.

If this is actually true, DSG reliability issues (or the lack of it) are one reason less to look beyond VW.

Here is the article in full:

Quote:
Volkswagen India has introduced a new add-on, extended warranty plan for its complete model line-up, which includes the Polo, Vento, Tiguan & Passat. The add-on warranty package can be availed before the expiry of the vehicles’ existing warranty. The extended warranty will then kick in from the day when the standard warranty expires, and will cover the vehicle till the last day of the 7th year/before 125,000 kilometers on the odometer.

Volkswagen has taken this step to give peace of mind to its customers. By protecting the Polo, Vento, Tiguan & Passat, Volkswagen owners need not fear any unexpected repair work or high part replacement costs. The add-on warranty can be availed 30 days before the expiry of the valid existing warranty or 15 days post expiry. To qualify for this warranty, the vehicle must have undergone the scheduled services with a proper record in the service history log.

All warranty repairs must be carried out by an authorized dealer only. The add-on warranty is not applicable on taxi/commercial registration vehicles. The add-on warranty cover cannot be transferred to any other vehicle and remains with the original vehicle only. Add-on warranty will cover crucial components of the vehicle such as engine, brakes, transmission, suspension, steering, fuel system, air conditioning and cooling unit, oil seals & electrical system. The overall conditions to avail add-on warranty and claim any damage is same for every model. The cost of add-on warranty will vary for the Polo, Vento, Tiguan & Passat. For specific details regarding the cost of the extended warranty, do get in touch with your nearest Volkswagen dealer.

Many automakers in India are now backing their vehicles with 7-year extended warranties, which are commonplace in international markets. Buyers opting for such schemes must remember that aftermarket modifications of any kind could potentially void warranty. So, it’s very important that buyers read the terms and conditions of the extended warranty clearly before opting for it.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd August 2018 at 18:21. Reason: Added quotes to the article. Thanks
pannags is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Source: CarToq

Was pleasantly surprised to see this on one of the forums. The VW official website does not mention this yet..
Here is the link from Volkswagen India website about the same.

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/volk...-warranty.html

This is a good gesture in my opinion for all those worrying about the DSG reliability.

OT: I've even heard that Renault will also be coming up with similar package of upto 7 years.

2 years std warranty + 3 years extended warranty and additional warranty for 6th and 7th year separately which is called Anytime Warranty, with limit of 1 lakh kms.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd August 2018 at 12:51.
vvrchandra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:15   #3
BHPian

re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

That's some good news for the buyers who stayed away from VW products, will bolster their confidence in the brand and would be able to own the product for a longer period of time without ruining their peace of mind.
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Wow, VW is now the 3rd manufacturer to offer 7 year warranties, after Toyota and Honda.

This is terrific news not only for 1st owners who keep their cars for long, but also pre-owned car fans like me who can buy used and still enjoy the peace-of-the-mind that comes with a long warranty.

Hope more manufacturers join this elusive club .
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:50   #5
BANNED

Should drastically improve the resale value as well -- assuming they allow the transfer of warranty to subsequent owners.
MaheshY1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move indeed! I am sure this will give immense peace of mind to those who own DSG boxes, though I've not heard of horror stories from Polo TSI owners so far, except a couple.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Any idea wrt. the cost of add-on warranty for the 5th, 6th & 7th year?

Is it dependent on mileage or a fixed cost?

I am definitely going to purchase this for the GT TSI. It's a car that I'd like to keep for 10 years. Hoping that the gearbox does not give up!

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 23rd August 2018 at 17:09.
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

I will be springing for this the moment my extended warranty is set to expire. It's certainly worth the peace of mind.

Although I'm sure VW would honour 'goodwill warranty' in the event the DSG in my car fails, I'd like to take comfort in the fact that there's a legitimate safety net to fall back on.

Good job, VW! Here's hoping the service improves!
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:19   #9

I'll be more than happy to opt for 5th, 6th, and 7th-year warranty for my 1.2P Polo if the pricing is right. Last month, on 27th July, my 2+2 Years warranty expired and I was hoping to have 5th Year warranty as well. Looks like VW heard my wish.
binod049 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just had my 4 year old GT TSI (with 2+2 warranty) serviced last week and despite my musings with the service advisor about add-on warranty, he told me there is no such option. So probably a brand new initiative.

I enquired with VW and they promptly directed me to service center for pricing and eligibility. Surprising that such purchases are not digitally enabled in this day and age, unless they check the service history or look for excuses.
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Gee shucks - I got less than a month to go for the 7 year period to be crossed for my Tdi

A few questions to wiser folks on the forum before I make a call to VW dealerships; my last two servicing has been at Bosch (SK Karzone) centers; including putting new injectors in the car.

I'm guessing the below condition is going to make any scenario of an add-on warranty void for my Vento. Any opinions?

Quote:
It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to produce all necessary documents/records to prove that the vehicle has been serviced at the prescribed intervals and maintained through the Authorized Dealer

The vehicle must have been serviced at Authorized Dealer at every 15,000 Kms or 1 year whichever occurs first as per guidelines in the Service Schedule Booklet
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Gee shucks - I got less than a month to go for the 7 year period to be crossed for my Tdi

A few questions to wiser folks on the forum before I make a call to VW dealerships; my last two servicing has been at Bosch (SK Karzone) centers; including putting new injectors in the car.

I'm guessing the below condition is going to make any scenario of an add-on warranty void for my Vento. Any opinions?
Mine came a month after yours, so mine will complete 7 years in October. Not much of a use for guys like us.

But a good initiative by VW and this should help tilt some public opinion in their favor.

Rachit
Old 24th August 2018, 08:52   #13
BHPian

This is indeed good news. I am looking for a safe-used-automatic-hatchback and polo was off my list due to DSG Failures.

Now I am including polo GT as well and search is on for a well maintained car which qualifies for additional warranty.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 09:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hope more manufacturers join this elusive club .
Its great for us customers. Will see how KIA push this further; globally they are the ones who push further on the extended warranty schemes.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 16:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news and a step from VW. Now, I hope the dealers don't play spoilsport by trying to reject warranty claims citing stupid reasons - this is a bigger issue.

As rightly pointed out, hope more manufacturers offer this warranty - while the machines aren't that bad now a days, it still gives an additional cushion. I don't mind my warranty being in-used, but don't want to end up in a stage and think "Wish I had the warranty'! Definitely a good news for those who like to keep the cars for longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks