Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 17:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Avail add-on warranty any time from next day of expiry of new vehicle's warranty, but within 7 years from date of vehicle's sale. However, odometer reading of vehicle should be within 125,000 km limit

According to this clause, people who had not opted for extended warranty can take the add-on warranty anytime after the expiry of original warranty untill the car is 7 years old.

So I just spoke to my guy at BU Bhandari in Pune.

My car is a 2014 Jetta and it did not have extended warranty. Its original warranty expired in August 2016. My guy checked with someone and told me that they will have to do an inspection according to a checklist to see if everything is OK. If they find something is not right, they will have to repair it at my cost and then they will give me the add-on warranty.

I am going there this Saturday and post an update then.
Quoting my post from the other thread.

I just spoke to my guy at BU Bhandari Pune again. The cost for 1 year / 20,000 kms for the following cars are as follows:
  1. 2014 VW Jetta DSG (Normal Warranty expired in Aug 2016) - INR 49k
  2. 2014 Polo GT TSI (Extended Warranty expired Jan 2018) - INR 13k

Too expensive for my Jetta but totally worth it for my Sister in Law's GT TSI
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Just had my 4 year old GT TSI (with 2+2 warranty) serviced last week and despite my musings with the service advisor about add-on warranty, he told me there is no such option. So probably a brand new initiative.
Same here. I asked yesterday at the Andheri East workshop, and my SA gave me a blank look. I told him that details are available on the VW India website, but he was adamant that they have not received any such update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
  1. 2014 VW Jetta DSG (Normal Warranty expired in Aug 2016) - INR 49k
  2. 2014 Polo GT TSI (Extended Warranty expired Jan 2018) - INR 13k
Wow that is steep for the Jetta! Worth it for the GT TSI. My used GT TSI is still under extended warranty, so I guess they will charge me less than 13k. I am going to call up BUB right away. They seem more clued in than the Mumbai workshops.

EDIT: Have to say that the BUB guys are super-efficient. A lady there gave me all the details I was looking for. She is now going to talk to a senior and send me an email quote after confirming the amount.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 24th August 2018 at 17:33.
Old 24th August 2018, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Good one from Volkswagen. Now they need to fix there exorbitant service charges and maintenance costs. They just have to stay true to their name - People's Car and please launch the new Polo. Then things will work out for them in India.

Last edited by Flyer : 24th August 2018 at 17:24.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:03   #19
BANNED

Looks like my service center is one of the better ones, VW Gurugram (Triumph auto) is the one I am talking about. Probably since they own a Hyundai dealership too, hence they are kind of more generous.

That said, they are well aware of the 7 year extended warranty plan and the quote will very soon reach me.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Good news indeed. I will certainly buy for my Vento TSI. Hope it’s not too expensive.
Old 25th August 2018, 10:49   #21
BHPian

Just got the details and the price sheet about the offer from a friendly Service Advisor in Bangalore.

These were received over WhatsApp. So picture quality is not great.

My first impression, based on the figure quoted for the Jetta, is that the warranty is fairly steep for a sub-5 year old car and even more so thereafter. Also, I don't see anything for the DSG version of the Jetta, which is odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-vw_ext_warranty_1.jpeg  

Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-vw_ext_warranty_2.jpeg  

Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-vw_ext_warranty_3.jpeg  

BackInTheFold is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 11:36   #22
BHPian

Great move by Volkswagen.
I wish Skoda to follow the same across their lineup. After reading reviews about VW and Skoda, I always thought to stay away from them, now with 7 years warranty with peace of mind I can give it a try. I am looking for Superb and Polo to add to my stable in coming years.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Just got the details and the price sheet about the offer from a friendly Service Advisor in Bangalore.
Huge difference between Polo and Vento, must be because of bigger engine? On the other hand very little difference between Vento Petrol and Vento TSI. I am not complaining . With more expensive engine and gearbox I thought TSI version will be at higher premium. Maybe VW has high confidence on this combination. Diesels versions have highest premium.

Last edited by Guite : 25th August 2018 at 12:20.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:46   #24
BHPian

My 2014 Jetta's extended warranty (2+2) expires this year in November.
In case I go ahead with this warranty, will it cover the car for one year or 3 years?

EDIT: Called up the dealer and they said that the cover is for one year which has to be availed every year for 3 years.
Moreover the customer has to purchase the extended warranty a month before the existing warranty ends otherwise they won’t be able to help.
So that means one has to pay 50k per year for three years and that too on top of the original extended warray(2+2) which roughly costed me 40k.

So a cool 1.9 lakhs! (40k + 50k + 50k + 50k) for 7 years “peace of mind”.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th August 2018 at 13:33. Reason: Added additional contents. Thanks for sharing!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 09:46   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
So a cool 1.9 lakhs! (40k + 50k + 50k + 50k) for 7 years “peace of mind”.
That is steep. I paid 1.9 lakhs for 6 years warranty coverage on my 530d. However, if you have a DSG, it's a no-brainer. Just go for the warranty.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 10:02   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

So my Vento TSI is out of the 2+2 years warranty. So that would mean ~23K from the price list above. Definitely a bit steep, but I guess worth it especially for the DSG. With this add- on warranty, VW may start refusing any good-will warranty also.

There is a 6k difference with the Polo TSI. It is primarily the same car mechanically.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 10:32   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Source: Here is the article in full:

Volkswagen India has introduced a new add-on, extended warranty plan for its complete model line-up, which includes the Polo, Vento, Tiguan & Passat. The add-on warranty package can be availed before the expiry of the vehicles’ existing warranty. The extended warranty will then kick in from the day when the standard warranty expires, and will cover the vehicle till the last day of the 7th year/before 125,000 kilometers on the odometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Is this or is this not available for Tiguan / new Passat? The info seems contradictory from the whatsapp image and the first news alert.

My few observations:

1. While it is a great move, I really wish these were priced more sensibly. This is not a maintenance plan but a manufacturer standing behind his product with a warranty for 7 years and 125k kms. It should not cost an arm and a leg for that.

2. I can't understand why it is not offered on their newest products like new Tiguan / new Passat. Both are certified duds in the market and if I were management I would certainly try to offer schemes like this to push whatever sales I can. Currently it is impressive that it is offered on older cars so people have the option of opting in even though they are past customers. But it seems 101 logic to try and boost sales of the above two models as well using these incentives (last I heard the Tiguan was sporting a ~ 1.5 lakh discount).
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 16:42   #28
BHPian

My extended warranty on 2016 Vento TSI ends in Feb 2020. I have only driven 8000 kms so far. I have upgraded my steering wheel to a GTI one, with paddle shifts.
Given that I drive only 4000 kms a year, would it be wise to go for this warranty?
Old 27th August 2018, 17:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
My extended warranty on 2016 Vento TSI ends in Feb 2020. I have only driven 8000 kms so far. I have upgraded my steering wheel to a GTI one, with paddle shifts.
Given that I drive only 4000 kms a year, would it be wise to go for this warranty?
The main purpose of purchasing the warranty is to offset the cost of a failed mechatronic unit (the DSG).

However as we have seen reports from few members, VW is not honoring warranty replacements from members who have done steering wheel mods.

Seeing as your running is very low, it is very less likely that you would encounter a DSG failure scenario. And even if you do, it is probable that your warranty claim may get rejected.

I'd say, don't go for the add-on warranty. Best to invest that money in a few more mods and enjoy the car.
Old 27th August 2018, 18:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

2. I can't understand why it is not offered on their newest products like new Tiguan / new Passat. Both are certified duds in the market and if I were management I would certainly try to offer schemes like this to push whatever sales I can. Currently it is impressive that it is offered on older cars so people have the option of opting in even though they are past customers. But it seems 101 logic to try and boost sales of the above two models as well using these incentives (last I heard the Tiguan was sporting a ~ 1.5 lakh discount).
As far as my understanding goes, this add on warranty is tailor made for those who have taken the 2+2 or 2+3 year extended warranty package. The add on warranty is only for a one year period. SO you can take it for the 6th and 7th year. The high pricing is because this for 6th and 7th years. Good chance of the car having multiple organ failures you see.

What I have decoded so far
  • 2+2 and 2+3 year extended warranty is available for purchase until completion of 2 years of ownership and is far more economical than the add on one year warranty.
  • If your car is less than 2 years old, rush to your VW dealer and get the 2+3 year extended warranty.
  • If you want peace of mind for 7 years, take the add on warranty for 6th and 7th year.
  • Going by the price list, the add on warranty cannot be purchased for cars more than 4 years old.
  • If you are one of those brave souls who opted out of 2+2 warranty at the time of car purchase and are in your third year of ownership, and have now developed cold feet , you don't have the option of buying the extended warranty. Add on warranty is what is available to you, but only after a proper inspection by VW dealership.
I guess why Tiguan, new Passat and Polo 1.0 have been left out of add on warranty pricing is because these are new cars within the 2 year window for purchasing 2+2/ 2+3 packages. Add on warranty pricing starts post 730 days only. Way to confuse everybody VW

Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-existing-extended-warranty.png

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th August 2020 at 21:20. Reason: Edited out personal data. Thanks.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks