Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 18:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Thanks Santosh bhat - that’s very clear. My point (continued grouse) is one has no idea if this scheme will be available 3 years down the line. So if someone is a customer today wanting a Tiguan with 7 year peace of mind, willing to buy full coverage warranty - he can’t! That’s simply illogical.
Old 27th August 2018, 23:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
The main purpose of purchasing the warranty is to offset the cost of a failed mechatronic unit (the DSG).

However as we have seen reports from few members, VW is not honoring warranty replacements from members who have done steering wheel mods.

Seeing as your running is very low, it is very less likely that you would encounter a DSG failure scenario. And even if you do, it is probable that your warranty claim may get rejected.

I'd say, don't go for the add-on warranty. Best to invest that money in a few more mods and enjoy the car.
Thank you for the response Abhishek.
I forgot to mention that I still have the stock steering wheel with me. In case DSG fails, I can replace the GTI steering with the stock, so as to avoid warranty claim denial due to this mod.

Also during my 2 year routine service @ VW BU Bhandari Pune, I did not see any remarks or SA's comments about the GTI wheel update. Hope they don't keep it in their records secretly.

How much does a DSG replacement cost anyway, if at all it comes to that? If its around 1 lac then I will probably skip the additional warranty.
Old 28th August 2018, 15:31   #33
BHPian

We did not get the extended warranty for our Vento 1.6 Diesel Highline. The original warranty expired in 2015. When we asked sometime in 2015 after the expiry of the original warranty, the dealership said that we can't get the extended warranty.

Can we still get this add-on warranty? Any views on if it's worth it?
Old 28th August 2018, 17:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Thank you for the response Abhishek.
I forgot to mention that I still have the stock steering wheel with me. In case DSG fails, I can replace the GTI steering with the stock, so as to avoid warranty claim denial due to this mod.

Also during my 2 year routine service @ VW BU Bhandari Pune, I did not see any remarks or SA's comments about the GTI wheel update. Hope they don't keep it in their records secretly.

How much does a DSG replacement cost anyway, if at all it comes to that? If its around 1 lac then I will probably skip the additional warranty.
I had a DSG failure for my car a couple of months back. I had purchased a used Polo GT TSi, which was a 2014 model.
When I reached the dealership I was told that it is a DSG failure and I would need to pay up about 1.2 lacs since the vehicle was not in warranty.When informed the dealer that I will take it up with VW, they agreed to replace it with me paying only for consumables and labour charges.With what I understood from the transaction is that VW is aware of the failure issue and ready to do the replacements , but somewhere the Dealers are trying to fleece the customer by charging the replacement fee.
Old 28th August 2018, 17:34   #35
BHPian

Hi!

Does anyone know if this 7 years warranty also applicable on Skoda cars or restricted only to VW? Since these 2 are sister companies and Skoda now has the ownership for India business, should they also not offer such warranties? This will go a long way in increasing the confidence in Indian mindset as well as increase the goodwill and rating in the Indian market.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 19:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting. I booked a GT TSI and I was given quote for only 2+3 extended warranty and no 2+5. Gotta check with them.

On a separate note, somehow VW seems to be on a dealer shut down spree here in Mumbai. Already closed 2 dealers and hence creating a monopoly sort for the existing one in Mumbai.
Old 29th August 2018, 01:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
We did not get the extended warranty for our Vento 1.6 Diesel Highline. The original warranty expired in 2015. When we asked sometime in 2015 after the expiry of the original warranty, the dealership said that we can't get the extended warranty.

Can we still get this add-on warranty? Any views on if it's worth it?
I believe this add on warranty has to be bought before expiry of existing warranty. In your case it is unlikely that you can get this extended warranty.
Old 29th August 2018, 08:55   #38
BHPian

As per a few posts written above, AFAIK the add on warranty can be purchased even after the 4th year warranty runs out (in my case) subject to a check up (probably seeing the service record and off course the mods).

But honestly I find it costly, a 3 year add on package is equivalent to a mechatronics unit(75k), Thoughts on that?
Old 29th August 2018, 14:36   #39
BHPian

Sorry my bad. Extract from VW website
Quote:
Avail add-on warranty any time from next day of expiry of new vehicle's warranty, but within 7 years from date of vehicle's sale. However, odometer reading of vehicle should be within 125,000 km limit.
Avail add-on warranty 30 days before expiry of valid extended warranty OR maximum 15 days post expiry of extended warranty. However, odometer reading of vehicle should be within 125,000 km limit.
Avail add-on warranty can be purchased post expiry of used car warranty, provided vehicle is within 7 years from date of sale and odometer reading is within 125,000 km limit.
So it seems only in case of vehicle having extended warranty, this add on has to be purchased before expiry of existing warranty (second point above).
Old 30th August 2018, 09:48   #40
BHPian

I thought the three listings as separate options and not an all inclusive statement. And hence my question.
Old 30th August 2018, 14:30   #41
BHPian

Its not abundantly clear but it seems:
Point 1 is for cars with original warranty:- buy anytime before 7 years

Point 2 is for cars with extended warranty:- buy 30 days before expiry or within 15 days of expiry of extended warranty
Point 3 seems to be for VW refurbished cars, I am not sure.
Old 30th August 2018, 16:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Was at VW Rajajinagar yesterday, and was quoted 46,925 per year for a 2015 DSG as add-on warranty.
Like most Jetta owners, I decided to give it a skip as its quite expensive, may opt for it in the 5th or 6th year of ownership when some parts worth 50k might actually need replacement
Old 30th August 2018, 17:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Its not abundantly clear but it seems:
Point 1 is for cars with original warranty:- buy anytime before 7 years

Point 2 is for cars with extended warranty:- buy 30 days before expiry or within 15 days of expiry of extended warranty

Point 3 seems to be for VW refurbished cars, I am not sure.
Point 2: As someone mentioned above, during this period for cars in extended warranty, inspection is not required. You can just buy add on warranty off the shelf.

After 15 days of expiry of extended warranty, the car will need to be inspected by the workshop before you can buy add on warranty. This also applies to cars whose original warranty has expired and for which extended warranty cannot be purchased.

For cars, whose original warranty hasn't expired, it makes sense to take the extended warranty for 3 years rather than pay exorbitant amount (at least in case of Jetta) for add on warranty.

In short, both first owner and second owner can purchase this add on warranty anytime before 7 years provided that the car is run less than 125,000 kms.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 17:57   #44
BHPian

Will this offer slowly percolate to skoda range of vehicles in India?
I really hope so, I had booked the rapid 2 week back and this 7 years VW warranty made me re-visit my decision & test drive the VW vento TSI last weekend. Somehow I am sold by the looks of the rapid & hope it gives me a trouble free experience.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 10th September 2018, 09:00   #45
BHPian

The 2+2 warranty on my Polo GT TSI expires Jan 2019 and just a month ago I got the DSG clutch replaced under warranty (juddering noise going from D1->D2). Now I am wondering if it makes sense to take the add-on warranty. What's the likelihood of another DSG failure in the next 3 years?

Also from the terms of add-on warranty I noticed that the clutch is not explicitly included in the list.

===
Automatic Gearbox:
All internal components, including:
Shafts, Gears, Brake bands, Oil Pump, Bearings and Bushes, Valve, Drive Plate, Tran Gears, Transmission Gears.
===
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed